Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA-ILA Right To Carry Workshops Across WI - I'm going to Baldwin 7/24

Regular Member Big River Leather's Avatar

NRA-ILA Right To Carry Workshops Across WI - I'm going to Baldwin 7/24

Got an invitation in the mail and via email for these workshops for the new Right to Carry legislation. In addition to that is sounds like there will be discussion on how we can support our legislators that are currently up for "re-election" in the recall elections. Here is a copy of the email I received. I'm going to attend the session in Baldwin WI on Friday, July 24. I would like to OC, I would think this is an OC friendly event.

Any one else plan on going to this one?

Right to Carry a Reality in Wisconsin!
    Find out more at our upcoming briefing!

Attend FREE Workshop to learn about the Wisconsin Right-to Carry legislation recently-signed by Governor Scott Walker.

During this workshop you will also learn about how you can support the Senators who supported Right-to-Carry during the upcoming recall election.

Dear Wisconsin NRA Member:

With Governor Walker’s signing of the Personal Protection Act on Friday July 8, residents of the Badger State will finally have the ability to defend themselves and their families by carrying a concealed firearm for self defense.

In advance of the new law taking effect, NRA-ILA headquarters staff is hosting a series of workshops to provide you with information on what you need to do to obtain your permit and what this new law allows you to do.

NRA-ILA Campaign Field Representative Nate Nelson will also be in attendance to brief you on volunteer opportunities for the upcoming recall election. We need your help to support the Senators who helped make Right-to-Carry a reality in Wisconsin!

We have won a major battle with the enactment of the Personal Protection Act but there is much more to accomplish in the fight for your firearms freedom. The future of other legislative priorities such as the Castle Doctrine is completely dependent on the outcome of this summer’s recall elections. You can help make the difference!

These workshops are absolutely free and beverages and light snacks will be provided. Each workshop will run about 60-90 minutes. Please make plans to attend one of our events and encourage your fellow NRA members and Second Amendment supporters to attend as well!

Please plan on attending one of these upcoming workshops!

Here are the details:

Milwaukee (Richfield)
    Monday, July 18th
    6:30 p.m.
    Cabela’s
    One Cabela Way
    Richfield,WI 53076
    (262) 628-5700
    http://www.nraila.org/workshops/Regi...chfield_WI2011

Fond Du Lac
    Tuesday, July 19th
    Ramada Plaza
    1 N. Main St.
    Fond Du Lac, WI 54935
    (920) 923-3000
    http://www.nraila.org/workshops/Regi...ondDuLacWI2011

Seymour
    Thursday, July 21st
    Doxbees’ Banquet & Buffet
    N6744 County Hwy. C
    Seymour, WI 54165
    (920) 833-2924
    http://www.nraila.org/workshops/Regi...=SeymourWI2011

Baldwin
    Friday, July 22
    The Orchard Restaurant, Sports Bar & Banquet Facility
    (In “The Barn”)
    571 Hwy. 63
    Baldwin, WI 54002
    (715) 688-6666
    http://www.nraila.org/workshops/Regi...=BaldwinWI2011

To register for one of these free events, please visit the link under the location closest to you, or call the NRA-ILA Grassroots Division at (800) 392-VOTE (8683).

We look forward to seeing you!

Yours in freedom,

NRA Institute for Legislative Action
    www.nraila.org
    Big River Leather
    Handcrafted Gun Leather and Accessories
    http://www.bigriverleather.com

I am not sure but I kinda remeber that the NRA PRE SB93 Vote Events were not OC friendly (Cabela's north of Milwaukee).... I could be wrong on that...????

I guess I have already learned most of what I need to know about the new law through this fine website... unless of course the NRA's own "Personal Protectioin Act" is different from our signed, sealed, and soon to be delivered Concealed Carry Bill... (slight sarcasum @ NRA button off).....

Besides, I already missed the one in my area, Milwaukee....on the 18th...

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 07-19-2011 at 12:48 PM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    I am not sure but I kinda remeber that the NRA PRE SB93 Vote Events were not OC friendly (Cabela's north of Milwaukee).... I could be wrong on that...????
    A few of us were at the last Cabala's meeting OC'ing without a problem.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I think I'm just as interested in attending to learn what I can do to support my Senator (Sheila Harsdorf) during the recall election since she supported CCW legislation (though I don't believe she supported Constitutional Carry). She/They fought for us, no I feel I need to do the same to keep that GDC Sheila Moore Out of office.
    Big River Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post

I guess I have already learned most of what I need to know about the new law through this fine website... unless of course the NRA's own "Personal Protectioin Act" is different from our signed, sealed, and soon to be delivered Concealed Carry Bill... (slight sarcasum @ NRA button off).....

Besides, I already missed the one in my area, Milwaukee....on the 18th...

Outdoorsman1
    Many WCI members open carried at these events at Cabalas.

Cabelas IS an OC/CC friendly business.

I might end up going to the Baldwin one as well, kind of depends what I'm doing that day and when I get off of work. If I do go, I hope to see you guys there.
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
    Many WCI members open carried at these events at Cabalas.

Cabelas IS an OC/CC friendly business.
    Oh ok... like I said, I was not sure... Could be wrong....

Maybe I was thinking that when we first heard about those meetings we were wondering if we could OC or not.....

Oh well, they say that the memory is the first thing to go.... Thank God for that.....

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

OC is allowed...

I called The Orchard Restaurant, Sports Bar & Banquet Facility and spoke with Mary the manager. I asked if she allowed legally carried sidearms to which she immediately replied I do. The one condition is, because they serve alcohol, you need to leave your firearm in your vehicle, come in and sign a form which exempts you/them from the alcohol rules (VERY poorly paraphrased), then you can go back out and do the dance. She also asked that if you are going to OC that you do not drink alcohol.

Good on her. Looks like I found another place to spend some money.

Friday night Prime Rib

http://www.theorchardofbaldwin.com/

I guess I better whip out a nice holster for the event
    Last edited by Big River Leather; 07-19-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    Big River Leather

Big river - I was slow on the draw! We have OC'd at this location many times. You can download the "permission slips" from the WCI web site. If you have any questions, drop me a PM.

Please introduce yourself to me at this event. I will be in the dayglo yellow WCI tshirt. I will be carrying a 3' 1911.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Tony Anderson
    Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by goforlow View Post
    .... I will be carrying a 3' 1911.

Nobody will miss seeing that!
    Last edited by davegran; 07-20-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Hey now...is may be small, but it is mine! And I do know how to use it
    Last edited by goforlow; 07-21-2011 at 12:26 AM.
    NRA - Life Member

Founder's Club Member springfield 1911's Avatar

Close to 3 feet http://www.mechtechsys.com/1911.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJQ34JTqk0I

In the ashes burns an ember of liberty, We are the fuel to ignite the ember into a flame of liberty.

The embodiment of our founding fathers will not be found in one man , But in Many.

****** give it away ( Our rights ) prostitutes sell it (Mandated training).

My new walking cane.....

In case I run out of bullets, I can just swing it like a club.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joker Gun.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	6406
    A criminal can have a gun, so why can't I?

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://www.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

So this will be my first time OC outside of my property. I've CC'd for years in MN, never have a legal opportunity to do it locally (GFSZs). So, for the occasion I'm making myself some new leather for my P220 Carry SAO
    Last edited by Big River Leather; 07-21-2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Big River Leather

I was just in Baldwin yesterday eating A&W with a friend, not OCing because he had his kid with him, and I saw the orchard on the way in and wondered what the place was like. Now that I know I'm definitely going to have to stop in sometime and give them my business. After we ate at A&W we went back to my friends house and shot the black powder revolver on his dad's range next door, and the 24/7 OSS got some practice too. It feeds the winchester target ammo like a champ! You should see all the nice holes I put in the heart when I tried to fire as fast and accurately as I could at 12 yards.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

I hope they will have additional training sessions in the weeks to come. A great deal of Wisconsin is not covered by these classes.
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

I look forward to meeting you guys there. I'll look for you goforlow. I will be wearin a navy blue Molon Labe polo shirt, Sig P220 at my side.
    Big River Leather

You can download the "permission slips" from the WCI web site. If you have any questions, drop me a PM.

Tony Anderson
    Can anyone provide me with a link? I could not find these anywhere on the site.

Thanks,
    Big River Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Big River Leather View Post
    I look forward to meeting you guys there. I'll look for you goforlow. I will be wearin a navy blue Molon Labe polo shirt, Sig P220 at my side.
    Plans changed and wife gave me the OK, I'll be there in blue jeans, gray t-shirt and a brown leather hat. I'll have my Taurus 24/7 OSS with me. See you there!

- Thomas Jefferson

Meeting went well, met up with Protias and Big River Leather. The bar was really cool and I made a few other friends there. Got to see some of Big River Leather's holsters he makes and they're fantastic. On top of all that I got to listen to the president of WI-Force (I think) blather on with how great they were. Made we proud to be a member of WI Carry. I'll post the picture I took of Protias, Big River Leather, and I a little later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1377-small.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	6437  
    Last edited by Pyro01; 07-22-2011 at 11:58 PM.

- Thomas Jefferson

I attended the NRA workshop at Baldwin. It was mostly a bunch of chest thumping by the NRA on how much it has done during the past 10 years to bring concealed carry to Wisconsin. It also provided a platform for NRA cerified instructors tosell their wares. It pretty well glossed over the fact that because of hunters safety courses and military training that millions of wisconsonites have already satisfied the training requirements. They were but mentioned in passing. I'm sure that there is a cadre of people that don't have training to fit the bill so the training sales may have had some value. The NRA was very politically correct in presenting the candiates up for recall, briefly showing the names on the screen and then mentioning that those were the ones endorsed by the NRA. It did bring up one important point nd that is that the Harsdorf/Moore vote will be very close and voter turnout will more than likely determine victory. The NRA did a fair job of outlining the scope of ACT 35. It left out a couple of things. It didn't mention that a permit and training is not required to CC on ones property, business or home and it didn't mention that the permit would allow a person to carry in the 1000 foot school zone. It also failed to mention that Art I sect 25 and strong voter ratification was a driving force behind the legislation. I was especially dismayed when they stated that it was the NRA lobbying that was instrumental in passing ACT 35, mentioning that there were a couple of local groups that attended a few meetings, but implying that they were largely just noise. No mention was made of Nik, Jesus Gonzales, Brad Krause, MKEgal, the madison five or J.B. Van Hollen. Those of us that have been forum members for years know that without their pioneering efforts and guts ACT 35 more than likely would still be wishful thinking. Even though the NRA has stolen the thunder we know who the real heroes are. I have done some literary sparring with each of them but my hat is off to all of them. I guess there is some comfort in knowing that the "ends justifies the means".

I agree with you 100%. I was just rolling my eyes most of the time as was Protias. It woulda been nice to meet you Captain Nemo, when you respond to stuff on here, I like what you have to say.

- Thomas Jefferson

I enjoyed the workshop. I think chest thumping might be a bit strong, but yes, they did talk about the time, effort and dollars that they spent. Though they did not get specific with many other names, other than those that were directly involved with coordinating and participating in the workshop, They did acknowledge in general all those who helped by contacting and working with their legislators. Yes, they did cite many of the specific efforts that the NRA went through as part of the program, but I wouldn't say it was the focus. After all it was their workshop.

For a lot of the general public, which I would say the majority of the people that were there were (not activists or forum members who are involved as much as many of those here), it answered the basic questions that they had about the bill. I believe that was the purpose of the workshop.

I thought they did a good job of explaining the training requirements. Don't know if they could have done more without being redundant. They did state that Hunter Safety training was adequate, talked about that for a bit saying it didn't matter if it was 70 years ago, it was still valid. They told you if you didn't have the certificate that you can call the DNR and get a copy from them. They even said it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes for them to get that done for you. They talked about military training for a few minutes. They are working with the DOJ on the specifics of the military training. Often people will get small arms training but it is not part of the certification and they want to be able to find a way through that.

I specifically remember them mentioning that a permit was not required at your own property, business or home. I don't remember if it was part of the CC bill or the upcoming AB69/SB69 legislation, but I did hear it.

Not taking away anything from all of those here and elsewhere that put major personal life altering efforts into getting this done, I am just stating that I'll acknowledge the efforts by those that were putting on the workshop.

As Captain Nemo said, voter turnout will be paramount in the recall elections. Polling shows that 40-50 votes could make the difference. The offered up absentee ballots so that no excuses could be made for not showing up to vote. For me, Voting day is something I look forward to and my day is planned around it. Even the democratic primary election was that way.

Most importantly for me, I had the opportunity to meet some great people. I spent a good amount of time talking to Portias and Pyro01, as well as Ole Annette and a few other people. I am really looking forward to meeting more of you at the Open Carry Picnic on August 21st at the St. Croix Co fairgrounds.

Oh yea, a little gun and holster porn - Here is the rig I finished up and carried at the workshop, my P220 Carry SAO, Hogue G10 grips, refinishing / polished barrel and my BRL logo engraved into the top of the slide done by WWW.CUSTOMIZEDCREATIONZ.COM, Stainless Steel guide rod all wrapped up in my LAS Lou Allessi Snap holster in cordovan with Black sharkskin trim. Forgot it was there.

Last edited by Big River Leather; 07-23-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    Big River Leather

Yes, NRA did brag A LOT! We know that there were also a lot more of us that really got this done!! Like Annette Olson!!

Next, Portias, was not the other in those pics, it was I, "goforlow" or Tony in the dayglow yellow WCI shirt. I piss off the NRA guys when I wear that shirt to NRA events!!

Capt Nemo - I wish we could have meet. I have been trying to meet the "local" WCI folks. Will you be able to attend the OC picnic on August 21st in Glenwood City? I will be there, and will be wearing the same yellow WCI shirt!! Same short guy with the same short gun!!

It was good to see the huge turnout! Good talking to you again Chris. Scott, good talking to you also. I WILL be doing business with you in the near future!!

Carry on, Carry ALWAYS!!
    NRA - Life Member

Next, Portias, was not the other in those pics, it was I, "goforlow" or Tony in the dayglow yellow WCI shirt. I piss off the NRA guys when I wear that shirt to NRA events!!

Oops, sorry about that, Not sure what I was thinking there. Not enough sleep last night.

It was a very touching moment when Annette was awarded the pen from Gov. Walker that was used to sign the bill. That alone speaks volumes for the work she did on this bill.
    Big River Leather

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast