• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hip holster, angled or no and why?

Baked on Grease

Just bought a Blackhawk level 2 SERPA-lock holster, I must say I am pleased with it. I see that is is VERY adjustable as to the angle I can put the gun at, and I see others with their gun at varying degrees. I am right handed strong side draw, and have tried multiple angles from straight up to extreme both directions, with some in between, and so far no angle at all seems the most smooth to draw and re-holster for me.

My question is what angle do you have yours at for hip carrying and why? I'd like to educate myself on the difference of experience and practice in this regard...

Big River Leather

A couple of reasons for forward cant -

- For concealment, especially with longer gripped semi autos, the bottom of the grip will print when beneath a shirt. This can be amplified by bending or sitting depending on the ride height of the holster/gun. When you bring the gun to a forward cant it will reduce the amount of printing. To much forward cant makes for a un-natural draw, leaves the muzzle poking out behind. this is how I originally got into making holsters. I thought I wanted a severe cant for my P220. So, I made one and it sucked for me. Revolvers are not as bad, depending on the grip.

- The other reason would be what feels right on the draw from the position the holster is carried at on the waist i.e. 3:00 on the, 4:00 just back, 5:00 further back etc.

Your Serpa is not much for concealment unless it is winter and it is under a coat. However, you have the options for adjusting the cant for any of the above reasons. Duty holsters that are not adjustable are typically a straight drop or close to it in my experience. YMMV.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I carry mine straight up. This allows me to draw as I have been taught. Also it's pretty tough for somebody to take your gun without you getting in the way. Also most of my leather holsters do not have a cant so I like to keep it consistent.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Discussing the cant of a holster is like throwing gasoline on the 9mm vs 45acp debate while declaring that either toe-may-toe or toe-mah-toe is the only acceptable pronounciation.

Having said that, I'm a straight up and down guy. Part of it is because that's the way my M-1940 holster was built (the "if it was good enough for __ it ought to be good enough for you" argument), and mostly because I have enough trouble pulling a handgun up around my tactical self-contained bullet-absorbing accessory (spare tire) without needing to pull forwards or backwards at the same time. (Hey! I just recently got walking and breathing at the same time down pat. Don't rush me!)

stay safe.

SFCRetired

All of my holsters have a forward cant. One of them is adjustable and I've tried it several different ways and the forward cant just feels right for me.

Bottom line: What is right for me may not be right or comfortable for someone else. This is one of those areas where you have to try different ways and settle on what works for you.

GuidoZ

As has been said, whatever feels right for you is the right way. I realize you said nothing felt better than anything else, so that answer might not work for you. I think the best advice I read (and agree with) is it depends where you carry. If around the 3:00 position, up and down may be natural. If closer to the 4:00 (like me), then a bit of forward cant feels better, as you're not contorting your arm to pull it out. (You're reaching for it a bit from the front, so having it sit facing the front a bit makes sense.) The further behind you go, the more you may appreciate some forward cant.

--
Peace. ~G

N605TW

Activist Member
I too have the SERPA, and I love it. I carry at 3 o'clock and have it set with a forward cant. I started to carry with it straight up and down but the butt of the gun would hit the back of my car seat and was uncomfortable for me. My best advise would be to try it different ways and see what works best for you.

.45acp

I'm not a fan of the Serpa (I do have one and tried for a day or so).

That said, I use leather concealment IWB with muzzle back rake. I find that it holds closer to the body and doesn't stand out so much. I like the straight draw holsters, but for every day carry a high ride muzzle back rake works better for me.
FWIW leather is quieter than the plastic holsters.

DoubleAgentMan

Activist Member
I own a SERPA CQC level 2 holster with the quick disconnect system. I was using it straight up before, but with the QD system it was pushing the angle forward a bit. I was able to get it to stay slightly back after adjusting the position however. The nice thing about the QD system is that I can move it forward when I am in the car, then back to the position I like when I get out. It also never leaves the holster, and I do not have to worry about having to remove the attachment from my belt. It works on any SERPA platform as well. The only downside is that it prints badly when CC, but hey this is an OC site!

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-Quick-Disconnect-Kit-2-Female1-Male,1239,82.htm

disneyr

I've tried and used Blackhawk Serpa holsters and they are good but I found the Israeli Tactical Retention holsters much more adjustable for cant (they go 360 degrees adjusted with an included allen wrench so you could use it upside down if you wanted, same with the mag holder). Also the ITR holsters have a much more snug fit, more ergonomic release button and less "rattle" than the Serpa. Also the price is much less!

I still use a Serpa for my S&W 645 (its designed for a Sig P226 but fits) because I couldn't find an ITR to fit it.

Baked on Grease

I've tried and used Blackhawk Serpa holsters and they are good but I found the Israeli Tactical Retention holsters much more adjustable for cant (they go 360 degrees adjusted with an included allen wrench so you could use it upside down if you wanted, same with the mag holder). Also the ITR holsters have a much more snug fit, more ergonomic release button and less "rattle" than the Serpa. Also the price is much less!

I still use a Serpa for my S&W 645 (its designed for a Sig P226 but fits) because I couldn't find an ITR to fit it.

I find that my Serpa for XDM has no rattle at all. Granted I have the retention screw well screwed, but it's as quiet as can be. The release button is "just" reachable with my extended trigger finger, if I curl it I won't be able to release the weapon well, so this helps promote proper draw for me. I don't know about other serpa's but for the XDM it's well done. imo at least. My only remorse is that it's an eariler CQC model, and it does not cover the entire slide like other Blackhawk models I see, but Blackhawk doesn't seem to have an upgraded model for XDM. I am awaiting reply from customer service to see about it.

Malcolm

I use the Blackhawk plastic thing as well.

Straight up and down strong side is how I've been carrying and it works just fine. Nice, fast draw. Today though I threw it on the paddle to see how it would go crossdraw with a full angled cant. I haven't worn it outside the house yet. (A few more days practice inside.) we'll see how it goes. It fits pretty comfy and is not that interfering. I know some people are haters on the cross draw. Me, I'm neutral, besides it never hurts to practice something thats outside of your comfort zone.

dmatting

I also have the Serpa Level 2. I actually prefer the cant to be one click to the back - the way my hand is angled when it grasps the gun is so much more natural at that angle. The problem with the rearward cant, however, is that the butt of the gun and my car seat don't get along. I also tried the forward cant - the seated position is the car is great, but removing the gun from the holster is more than awkward for me. I had to compromise and I have settled on straight up and down. It is workable while seated in the car and I can still do a fairly natural and quick draw of the weapon.

I will probably get the QD system and play around with cants again once I get it. I really like the idea of removing the holster with the gun in it.

Fallschirjmäger

Open carrying, I have my firearms angled as far back as possible in a SERPA. Of course, with my build the belt makes things angle forward so it all winds up being a vertical draw anyway. I'm happy with that as it seems to work quite naturally for me.
Concealed carry is just a tad further back on my hip and usually with the butt tipped forward.

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

I also have the Serpa Level 2. I actually prefer the cant to be one click to the back - the way my hand is angled when it grasps the gun is so much more natural at that angle. The problem with the rearward cant, however, is that the butt of the gun and my car seat don't get along. I also tried the forward cant - the seated position is the car is great, but removing the gun from the holster is more than awkward for me. I had to compromise and I have settled on straight up and down. It is workable while seated in the car and I can still do a fairly natural and quick draw of the weapon.

I will probably get the QD system and play around with cants again once I get it. I really like the idea of removing the holster with the gun in it.

I've seen one problem with the QD sysytem, that it makes the gun protrude awkwardly away from the holster. (adds extra 1/2-3/4 inch) Though I have not used I myself, go you tube it before you.buy it to see what others say.

Sent using tapatalk

dmatting

I've seen one problem with the QD sysytem, that it makes the gun protrude awkwardly away from the holster. (adds extra 1/2-3/4 inch) Though I have not used I myself, go you tube it before you.buy it to see what others say.

Sent using tapatalk

Yes, the QD system is rather thick - looks like it adds about 1/2" or so. I would like to see it and handle it before purchasing.

Baked on Grease

Yes, the QD system is rather thick - looks like it adds about 1/2" or so. I would like to see it and handle it before purchasing.

Well, ask people in your area, ask gun shops if you could.see one in action.. etc.

Or wait.till a gun show swings buy, I usually see at least one table with blackhawk merchandise there.

Sent using tapatalk

SGB

I prefer a 3 O'clock carry with no cant.

34h7x9z.jpg