• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hip holster, angled or no and why?

Baked on Grease

I prefer a 3 O'clock carry with no cant.

34h7x9z.jpg

That's how I carry now myself, but I find it not so comfortable in the car... I may get a second holster to strap under the dash or something to make it more accesible and more comfortable

Sent using tapatalk

MiaStar

My current holster is straight up, and I keep hitting my elbow on the butt of my 1911 which really hurts. So I slide it around to in front of my right thigh (right-handed, strong side draw) and that way I avoid an elbow hit, and someone would have to be directly in front of me or coming from a 2:00 angle to get at my gun. It is secured with a locking clip and strap.

I really am in the market for a holster that cants. I have a large pistol with a 5" barrel, and I'm petite (5ft, 2in--120lb);without a canting holster it is very difficult to avoid hitting my elbow on the gun.

With a canting holster, I prefer to wear my pistol directly at 12:00 on my right hip, canted slightly forward by about 15 degrees to lower the butt, but still allow for positive draw/engagement.

Looking at getting a Serpa holster myself. The leather ones are beautiful but I need one that cants like I need the pistol itself.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I prefer a forward cant as well for a few reasons. I'm up and down in my desk chair through out the day and some days in and out of my car just as much. With something around an "FBI cant" when seated the pistol is about parallel with my torso (not scarring the car seat or leather desk chair). As for a standing draw, well, many years ago, long before I had ever heard of the "interview position" I got in the habit of standing that way in stress situations with my weight slightly forward ... well, from that position, the natural draw action involves bringing your hand back towards the firearm. As such, a mild to moderate forward cant leaves the gun positioned perfectly at hand, especially if moving into a slightly bladed stance during the draw. Furthermore, moving from an "interview stance" to draw, if you are CC with an open front cover garment such as a sports coat or jacket, sweeping the garment back out of the way becomes a natural part of the entire transition to and actual draw stroke.

When I first started carrying I thought I would prefer a vertical holster for various reasons. Several years of daily carry has shifted my preference firmly to a slight forward cant IWB or OWB.

Titan357

My BH SERPA level 2 is slightly forward.
I set it over a month ago, I messed with it from vertical, foward and backwards until I found what I liked.

It draws well, and I got used to moving my finger to the release, the way I draw and use my TD puts my finger on the release as I draw naturally.

I did some testing with it one day, I set a target in rough country side on a tree.
Walked X feet from it, turned, pulled and fired.

I never once had a problem releasing the gun from the holster.

Just find what works for you.

REALteach4u

Ok, I've kicked this around for a few days now. I tend to like a slight forward cant (FBI cant) with my OWB holster. I'm not exactly sure why, but I'd attribute it to comfort at this point.

However, given that I've witnessed imporper training with the Serpa holster resulting in a ND that required my administration of first aid, I'm not so sure I like the forward cant as much. So hopefully everyone won't mind if I illustrate why.

It's all about muzzle control. With the forward cant the muzzle is pointed rearward, just slightly. When drawing with a forward cant the hand tries to rock the muzzle forward while moving upward. That easily results in the muzzle pointing even more rearward when clearing the Kydex. Since you cannot see behind you, can you answer the safety question of if that muzzle is pointed at someone/something you are not prepared to destroy and can you control where the round will wind up? The answer is NO.

The situation I dealt with had this exact problem and it's a good thing it was a frangible round because it broke up when it hit the ground after passing through the buttock. Had it been a FMJ round it very well could have ricocheted and hurt someone else. It was the direct result of improperly training with the Serpa.

The Serpa is designed to force you to index your finger by using the pad of your finger to activate the release. However it can easily be done with the pad of the finger and that is where the problem lies. If you use the pad of your finger, it is very likely your finger is slightly curled. If you finger is slightly curled the sympathetic grip in your hand takes over as you squeeze the grip during a draw which can result in the finger going straight to the trigger and result in a ND.

McNutty

Ok, I've kicked this around for a few days now. I tend to like a slight forward cant (FBI cant) with my OWB holster. I'm not exactly sure why, but I'd attribute it to comfort at this point.

However, given that I've witnessed imporper training with the Serpa holster resulting in a ND that required my administration of first aid, I'm not so sure I like the forward cant as much. So hopefully everyone won't mind if I illustrate why.

There, obviously, isn't any right or wrong answer here. I think it is a matter of comfort and what, practically, speaking works best for you - keeping in mind that what will work best is what allows you to work safely. I've tried a slight forward cant. For me it's just not comfortable. I feel that I draw faster and more safely with the holster straight up and down. From a concealability standpoint, with a full size handgun, I am realize I am giving something up in there. That's why I might prefer to carry my subcompact.

I don't have an issue with the Serpa's index fingered button release from a safety standpoint. I found it somewhat uncomfortable when canted slightly forward and that was probably a function of attempting to operate the system from that position. Nevertheless, there was a guy that shot himself in the leg using the serpa holster at a competition and I would think he would claim that it was ultimately user error - we all know the basic rule that you never put your finger on the trigger until on target.

I think my point is, and I am stating the obvious here, that whether you cant slightly or not and what level and type of retention you use, it is best to find something that you are most comfortable using in a safe manner and not switching these elements around from one day to next. When it hits the fan, it will be practice and muscle memory that will kick in and you don't want to be farting around with trying to activate a release system that is on a holster sitting at home.

TechnoWeenie

It's what works for you. Whatever you can do to safely secure your weapon, and retrieve it when needed, is the best position.

I have various holsters/cant depending on scenario.

IWB = uncle mikes, no cant, 3 oclock
OWB conceal = Gould 5 degree cant 4 oclock
OC informal = Serpa, no cant, 3 oclock
OC formal = leather pancake, FBI cant, 4 oclock

What's most important, is you train with your retention systems to be able to retain your weapon in a gun grab, and retrieve your weapon in a situation that calls for it.

carry for myself

i always use a forward cant. for a few reasons. when i drive in my car it makes the gun stand straight up, along with my torso, instead of back into the seat. and two it moves the gun closer to my arm. meaning i can block the weapon with my forearm if i need to. third it makes a great arm rest when your arm gets tired from shaking at the anti's :-D