• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reloading question

Phoenix David

Keep in mind that brass should only be loaded no more than 7 times due to case stretching and reforming. Also price your materials vs the cost of buying factory loads. You may find that unless you are wanting to guarantee the measure of powder in your shot, it may be cheaper or easier to buy the factory stuff.Other than that, enjoy reloading, I find it relaxing. :)

In my 20 years of reloading I have not found a limit of 7 reloaded per case. Each one is different, you need to inspect each case when loading it. I have 9mm cases that I have been using since 2000 and they are perfectily fine

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Gotta agree with David, I know folks who set the bar at 12 to 15 reloads.

There are significant differences in rifle loading and pistol. Rifle cartridges have a lot more case distortion each time fired than pistol. That is why you will find yourself purchasing a case trimmer if you do rifle stuff but you will not use one on pistol loads etc.

I like using polishers vs ultra sonic to clean brass so cracks remain visible, with an ultra sonic you may clean the crack of fouling and it might not be easy to see like it is with surface polishing.

Purchased brass like starline is going to be a very sound brass good for a great many loads. If you were reloading for economy aka light loads then you could easily see quality pistol brass lasting several loads even beyond 20 and still not be overly dangerous to use. If you are going to load +p levels then you may indeed see signs of brass stress after 5 to 10.

357 is a popular load with huge variables, some folks will go with a very slow burn high pressure to increase muzzle flash on purpose, others will load to minimize it, others will load for low pressure 38 rounds or 357 rounds with wad cutters for reduced recoil and others high velocity for long distance shooting etc.

The life span of 357 brass in the above would be quite varied by application and what worked for one would not work for the other so it remains what it is, variable.

I load pistol rounds for economy and rifle for accuracy today but when I start loading 223 on a regular basis it will be economy to feed the auto-loader aka ar-15 and I will vary the 357 for fun to determine varied goals, the brass life will vary accordingly.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
How long would it take to reload 420 rounds?

Of what and on what press?

Of 45 or 9mm I could do it in about 1 hour on my Dillim 550, on a Lee progressive press close to the same. On something like a rock chucker single stage, I would guess a little over 3 hours. The difference is, one pull of the handle on the dillon or lee does 4 things, on a single stage it does 1 thing so to speak.

On rifle stuff some might say it is the same, I do not find that to be the case. Since I reload for a lever gun, it is very critical that the bullet be near perfect or it will not close the breech, means the cases MUST be checked and trimmed if needed. While I do them on the progressive press, I do it a LOT slower and perform far far more checks while doing them.

I am actually considering getting a rock chucker single stage just for rifle loading because the handle pulls are not what slows it down, it is the checking of each and every step that gets it done right. I never load much over 30 rifle cartridges at a time anyway.

Again Tony, if you want to see how it is done and load up that 420 you have sitting around (anyone besides me wondering about that 420 reference? He has a thing for assless chaps ya know!) you are welcome to come over and do them here. Run by graff's or cabellas, get whatever bullet you want (I load lead round nose for 9 and 230 semi wad cutter for 45 myself) price out the small and large pistol primers per thousand winchester brand and winchester 231 powder by the pound and you can use my supplies and you can just pay for what you use. In other words I may not have any bullets down stairs but I have powder and primers, if that is 10 cents per cartridge you can give me 40 bucks or whatever the total comes to be. The bullet is the expesive piece at around 35 busk for 500.

Tomorrow prior to the pacific event would be good, my lovely maiden has to go in to work at 3pm for inventory and won't be able to come, we could load those up and then cruise over to the event and you could ride over to pacific with me if you want to, I am near 40 and 70 aka wentzville. I will PM you my phone number but it will not get answered after 11 today until about 4 or 5 since I am taking the kids to the pool again today.

Mule

The Dark Side

Don't do it!

Reloading is an addiction you will never conquer.

Reloadaholics Anonymous meetings are on Thursday.

Like LMTD, most of my pistol shooting is with cost effective lead bullets. I save the expensive jacketed bullets for important stuff. Like bagging a deer or protecting my home. Check out Missouri Bullet Company.

I have been seduced by the Dark Side. Most of the lead bullets I shoot are home cast. Park your truck in front of the resturant tomorrow where you can keep an eye on it. Your wheel weights might disappear.

For centerfire rifles in military calibers, surplus fmj bullets are available, affordable and are great for blasting ammo.

Reloading also gives you the flexibility to build something that you can't buy. For example, I load 3/4 oz 12 ga for skeet and 125gr flatpoint hollow point bullets for my 30-30.

Seriously, I have found reloading to be a very rewarding hobby. Welcome to my addiction!

Hope to meet you Sunday. I'm the old, fat, bald white guy.

mark-in-texas

While I totally agree with not carrying reloaded ammo in a defensive pistol for both liability and reliability issues, I have used reloads to 'duplicate' carry ammo for practice purposes. My prefered 40SW carry round in the 135gn Federal Personal Defense round. I load Berry's Plated 135gn FMJs to about the same velocity and I have a much cheaper round to practice with.