• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nelson County Fairgrounds: No concealed weapons etc.

Ford

Well I was at the Nelson County fairgrounds recently and there were two large, somewhat faded, signs stating "Concealed firearms or other deadly weapons are prohibited on the fairgrounds." That may not be the exact wording but it certainly implied that OC was illegal as well as CC. The law is pretty clear that they can't regulate even CC unless its inside a building, so I have dispatched an email to the NC Judge Executive. He has responded that he's looking into it. Hopefully we can get this thing cleared up and the signs painted over. I thought about volunteering to paint them over myself, and maybe re word them to say "Guns welcome" with an American flag on it.

CharleyCherokee

I recently dealt with similar situation. I hope that you find rectifying the signage issue as easy going as I did. :p Though, as I've also seen sometimes these officials will hunker down and ignore you as best as they can.

Ford

My Smith stayed right where it belongs. When the law is on my side I don't care what the sign says.

I emailed the NC Judge Executive, citing the laws that go against the signs, and he said he understands why I question the sign. He said the County Attorney is on vacation for two weeks (that was 11 days ago), but he'd take it up with the Assistant CA. I would suggest an email to any one of the three.

Ford

update

I just received an email back. I was told that the fair board is a private non profit organization and leases the grounds from the county. So their sign is legal, although it carries no force of law like any sign on private property in KY. I think I will pursue this with the fair board. At the very least I'd like the sign changed to not have the reference to KRS 237. To me having a citation like that on the sign suggests that the sign is just letting people know about a law that prevents them from carrying.