• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to CPL class. Have some general questions.

qqq1

I'm going to take a CPL class this weekend assuming I don't die in the heat. I was hoping for some info on what actually goes on in a class. Should I bring pen and paper for notes? Do you take a quiz? I need to bring 100 rounds of ammo for my 40 which would be about $34. I'm pretty sure he said I can rent a 22 and get 100 rounds for $15. Would it be a lot better to do the class with the gun I already have or can I be cheap and take the rental? Is there a shooting test or is it just practice? Cost of filing and fingerprints? Passport quality photo? I need to get a photo taken and bring it in with the application? Anything else I should know?

One other question. I have a shotgun that Michigan insisted was a pistol and has been registered as such. If I start taking that around in my car am I going to run into problems if I get stopped by a LEO?

I'm sure all this info would be given to me eventually but I hate going in to something without knowing what's going on. Thanks in advance.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I can speak to general CCW/CHP courses. Yes, you should bring pen and paper and take notes as you see fit. You can expect some type of quiz or test before they will sign off on you. I highly recommend you to take the entire class using your primary firearm and forego any rentals. You might as well get the training while using your carry piece, it will be well worth the extra money spent. I will let the MI folks answer the MI specific questions. Good luck!

Last edited:

kubel

You will probably be provided with an NRA booklet, but you should still bring a pen and a small notebook. Before going to the class, write down a few questions. Generally there's a lawyer/leo Q&A session where you can have any of your questions answered. You will probably be given a quiz, but your instructor may not use that as criteria for which to give you a certificate of completion. If you pay attention and take notes, you shouldn't have any problem getting 100% on the quiz. Do the class with the gun you intend to carry. At the class I took, we had to place shots on a 8.5x11 piece of paper at like 3 yards. It was a breeze. They just want to make sure you are at least somewhat competent with a firearm. Cost of filing is rolled into the CPL fee. I paid $105 to my county clerk at the time that I submitted my application. I also needed 2 passport quality photos that I had done at Walgreens (they used a point a shoot camera and it was a crappy photo, I probably could have done it at home, but it wasn't more than a couple bucks). Some police stations will charge up to $15 for fingerprints. I had mine done at the sheriff and they were free (note that if you live in a city with a police department, the sheriff will probably refer you to them). You will also need your CPL class certificate.

If you (as a CPL holder) get stopped by a LEO, as long as the "pistol" is registered and you aren't brandishing it, you won't have a problem. Just tell the LEO that you have a gun in the car. If you get pulled over and there's a gun in plain sight, the cop may react before you even have a chance to say you are a CPL holder, so be careful. I'm not a fan of using any type of long gun in short range defense situations. Being stuck in the confines of a car and having to manipulate a long gun would not be good- they are just really awkward for me.

Good luck at your class. Ask plenty of questions, understand the law, take notes, and have fun during the shooting session!

Last edited:

qqq1

Thanks guys. You're right, I should do the class with what I already practice with and will often be carrying. A piece of paper from 3 yards huh? I'm certainly no crack shot but I can usually knock down the bowling pins fairly well from about 10 yards. I just get a little nervous about being tested even if I know I'll be able to pass it no problem. I might forget how a pen works or what end the bullets come out. :p

stainless1911

Banned
They want you to pass. Pay attention, dont sweep people from the muzzle, and think, you'll do fine.

When you are done, come back here, and check in, we will dispel any myths or bad advice you may be given.

Who is your instructor, or class name?

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Kubel, you cannot carry a long gun in a car like that even with a CPL.

I thought if the state of michigan considered the firearm to be a pistol that you could carry it concealed. If not could you please site the law that says otherwise or if I am incorrect in the way I am reading what you said I am sorry and please correct me.

Golden Eagle

Stainless, in post #1 qqq1 said his shot gun is registered as a pistol so it most likely is 30" or less so he can carry it as a pistol.

Last edited:

qqq1

Who is your instructor, or class name?

Don't know. I'll be taking the class through Williams Gun Shop in Auburn. I've bought a couple guns there and the guy is very friendly and helpfull. When my mom and stepdad came to visit a month or so ago I insisted we go there. My mom got some great trade in credit on a little 32 and my stepdad got a .45 glock of some sort. I picked up a S&W 66-7 that day too.

Stainless, in post #1 qqq1 said his shot gun is registered as a pistol so it most likely is 30" or less so he can carry it as a pistol.

Yes, it's a mossberg 500 12ga with front and rear pistol grips. If I recall it was half an inch under the requirements, making it a pistol. The seller sold it to me as a long gun so I had to go through a process of "I'm not saying this happened to me but what if I have a gun that's supposed to be registered as a pistol?" Ended up just having to sell it to myself as a pistol and things were fine. I figure if MI insists that this big thing is a pistol then I should use it as one.

stainless1911

Banned
Yes, it's a mossberg 500 12ga with front and rear pistol grips. If I recall it was half an inch under the requirements, making it a pistol. The seller sold it to me as a long gun so I had to go through a process of "I'm not saying this happened to me but what if I have a gun that's supposed to be registered as a pistol?" Ended up just having to sell it to myself as a pistol and things were fine. I figure if MI insists that this big thing is a pistol then I should use it as one.

Agreed, if you can make use of it, by all means, do so. If you can carry it, and deploy it if necessary, then he!! yes, rock that bad boy.:dude:

qqq1

Just got back from class. That was a lot of fun. No talk of open carry but nothing saying it's wrong/bad/illegal/etc either. The lawyer was great. He was kinda like Lewis Black but a little more calm. He didn't give a dry boring speech, he was into it and had good personal stories relating to things. The Williams brothers that did the the rest of the class and training were also great. Everyone had a good time and I picked up a lot of good shooting info. I need to practice shooting up close without my arm fully extended and shooting left handed.

Here in saginaw county I have to individually go before the gun board. They said the board will ask you why you want the CPL and a couple basic questions. Is that normal? Bay county has everyone applying go in together and in midland county you don't even see the board.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Just got back from class. That was a lot of fun. No talk of open carry but nothing saying it's wrong/bad/illegal/etc either. The lawyer was great. He was kinda like Lewis Black but a little more calm. He didn't give a dry boring speech, he was into it and had good personal stories relating to things. The Williams brothers that did the the rest of the class and training were also great. Everyone had a good time and I picked up a lot of good shooting info. I need to practice shooting up close without my arm fully extended and shooting left handed.

Here in saginaw county I have to individually go before the gun board. They said the board will ask you why you want the CPL and a couple basic questions. Is that normal? Bay county has everyone applying go in together and in midland county you don't even see the board.

Sounds like you had a good class. Good luck with getting your permit!!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
When they ask you why, just tell them. "Because its a shall issue state, and I want to be in the statistics of how many people are upholding thier rights".
To each their own, I think I'd just say for personal protection. But then I didn't have to go before the Ingham county gun board. They only call you if there are any interesting items in your back ground check. ;)

I guess I was too boring, even with a justifiable homicide from 1979.

Last edited:

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
In my county, Houghton, we went in front of the gun board in an open meeting type setting. They did some typical board type business then asked everyone present very laid back questions. They can't deny you without cause, and they were very laid back about it. It appeared to me they only did this step here as a brief conversation to make sure you weren't obviously a whack job.

detroit_fan

Here in monroe county they never had me appear, just got a letter saying the cpl was ready to be picked up. If you want to just go with the flow say you want it for personal protection, if you want to give a little jab because you feel this is an unnecessary step in the process answer as stainless suggested. Just my .02