• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some input

Wetworx

^^^ this X 100,000,000,000,000.99

There's a lot of well-documented reasons why the Military and all but 3 or 4 LE agencies in the U.S. are running as fast as they can from the 9mm. And some are even starting to realize the .40 was going from bad to worse in some cases. Everyone ends up coming full-circle back to the old .45.

As for ammo costs- where on earth are you folks purchasing your ammo from, that 9mm costs much more than $2 or $3 bucks different from .45 ? If even that much? Most stores I've been in-from mom-n-pop local gun shops to Gander to Dicks to Academy- there's almost zero difference in price from .40-9mm-.45-10mm all the way up to .50AE on the shelves. Some spikes for .41 Mag/.44 mag and .454 maybe but,...

Just using one of your examples (Gander Mountain), we can see that there is a significant price difference between 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 Auto. Look here and here. I'm not sure where you're buying your ammo, but it's not at the level that you claim it is.

Hiredgun30

i like my xd sub compact in 40 cal....if u get the"essentials"package which leaves out the cheap holster,mag holders, and loader...you can get an xd in 9 or 40 for around 420.oo brand new..

HolyOrangeJuice

Glock is still at the top of my list so far but i do like the other options that have been brought to my like the SD9 and the ruger p95. $300 would be my ideal price range although i know you get what you pay for. Thanks for all the input so far.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Any of them well do just fine personaly I like Glocks and Rugers both very tough and reillable Many thousands arounds through both.

9mm 40s 45 just not enough differants to matter with modren defensive ammo they all work well if you place your shots on target.

lilwildrabbit

I myself prefer the sig P250 cost me about 450 and is chambered in both .357 sig and .40 with 3 mags and modular design you can get it in small med and large frame and if later make it large or smaller. The .357sig is more than a 9mm and a deadly round for SD and if you prefer a 40 you have it already! so best of both worlds

WalkingWolf

So, i am looking into a handgun and have been looking at what they have in my area. Glocks, XDs, Taurus, 1911s, ect. I have narrowed it down due to price and how it fits my hands. Each one fits my hands and i like the both very much. The main difference is one is full sized and the other is more compact but i will be OCing the firearm. I have done my research for each weapon and both seem to be a great choice. too bad it is not buy one get one free. :lol:

So here are my choices:

Glock 22 (.40 cal) - Used police firearm very little shooting with 2 maybe 3 mags some holster wear for $425 out the door

or

this Taurus - They have a .40 and a 9mm model there. comes with two mags and i believe that the price out the door was a bit short of $400.

So lets hear your thoughts about each firearm. I have about two weeks to come to a final decision.

In all honesty asking for gun choice advice from gun people(me included) will leave you with more questions than answers. I think most times the question should be what not to buy, still that will leave you with different opinions. I think you should weigh your options and look at what is most common. Police depts look for several factors when choosing a firearm and caliber. Interchangeability of the ammo, magazines, and familiarity between departments with guns. Those are only secondary to Reliability, training performance, and top on the list safety. Now some of these are not concerns of a civilian, but when my duty weapon was a full sized auto I always carried it off duty. Full size autos are really very concealable with a in the waist band holster. I tend to lean towards as much performance as possible in a auto, and smaller size is a negative factor IMO.

For 1 that has seen the difference between the 9mm and the 45cal. I have used both as a Leo. After seeing what the 9mm won’t do, that is why I carry a 45. I started out with a 9mm S&W Model 59 and ended up with a 45cal. Colt 1911.

Wolfgang you have been around as long as I have, the model 39 was once my issued weapon. I completely agree on the lack of performance of the 9mm, particular when it comes to ability to perform after a obstacle. Case in point a car door the armed suspect was behind, and though several rounds were placed in the door directly in front of the suspect only one managed to get a ankle.

cbpeck

I don't know if you've already made your purchase, but I honestly think the Glock you're looking at is overpriced.

I don't care for Glocks myself, but I won't debate you on that because they're fine guns. However, a used LEO Glock should be around $300-325, IMO. Heck, a local shop ran a special here last December LEO surplus Glock 22s for $190. It was a "loss leader" deal, meaning they probably lost a few bucks at that price to get people in the door, but I still think $425 is very expensive for a LEO gun. Gunbroker.com shows several used 22s in the low $300s. Tere's even a brand new one on Gunbroker for $480:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=247309247

Again, the Glock 22 is a fine choice, just please don't pay too much for one.

Gunslinger

I'm not a Glock fan, not knocking them, just don't care for the look or feel. To me, the finest defensive handgun ever made is a Browning Hi-Power. I carried one when I flew in SEA, and the same one has protected my family for 40 years. Just bought a 75th Anniversary Model for $800 from GoG. Cast frame, unlike the forged on my 69C, ambi-safeties--which I don't like, and assembled in Portugal--although all parts are made in Belgium, unlike my 100% FN Belgian made 69C. Same great pistol, however. Accurate and 100% reliable. Not saying it is the gun for everyone, but I know many guys who go to dark places that carry them. Just another country heard from.

KansasMustang

I'm not a huge Glock fan. I have a Taurus PT140, and for CC I love it. Never had one problem and I've fired it a bunch. always hits where I point it and I wouldn't have a 9mm. But the DA cops make me carry the dang M9 POS Baretta

Gunslinger

Federal HST 124g +P+ jhps have great expansion, go through denim or leather without clogging up, with 12" penetration and 1300fps velocity. They are what I carry in my 9mms. I too prefer .45ACP, but consider these 9mms to be outstanding PD ammo. Add in the 100% reliability of my HPs, their great CC form, and it makes for an excellent combination. I don't like the M-9 either. Open slides are not my thing.