• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some input

HolyOrangeJuice

So, i am looking into a handgun and have been looking at what they have in my area. Glocks, XDs, Taurus, 1911s, ect. I have narrowed it down due to price and how it fits my hands. Each one fits my hands and i like the both very much. The main difference is one is full sized and the other is more compact but i will be OCing the firearm. I have done my research for each weapon and both seem to be a great choice. too bad it is not buy one get one free. :lol:

So here are my choices:

Glock 22 (.40 cal) - Used police firearm very little shooting with 2 maybe 3 mags some holster wear for $425 out the door

or

this Taurus - They have a .40 and a 9mm model there. comes with two mags and i believe that the price out the door was a bit short of $400.

So lets hear your thoughts about each firearm. I have about two weeks to come to a final decision.

SFCRetired

I carry either a Ruger 9mm or a SA .45.

If I were to choose either of the two weapons you are looking at, I would probably go with the Glock. My reasoning is that, lately, I have heard some not-so-good things about the quality of the later model Taurus pistols.

I don't know if they've cleared up their quality problems, but I don't think Glock has ever had any. I could be wrong, but I don't remember hearing of any major problems.

Some of you Glock and Taurus experts weigh in on this. I'd be interested in hearing from people who have first-hand experience as I may buy another pretty soon.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have two Taurus handguns, Millennium Pro in .40S&W and a PT1911. I have fired hundreds of rounds through each one and have never had a problem. There are a lot of Taurus bashers out there, but I have found them to be completely reliable. I don't own a Glock and have never been interested in them so I won't comment on them.

jeeper1

You will be able to find a greater selection of holsters for the Glock than you will for the Taurus. I don't want either one of those, but that is just me.

j4l

If you're going for anything in those sizes, why not just step up to a proper fighting round and go w/ a .45?
The recoil isnt as snappy, w/ proper ammo, they expand and penetrate more reliably in actual use, and a 1-3 round difference in capacity will be negated by not having to fire so many rounds to do the job anyway.

Either pistol though will be a good choice, otherwise. Holsters are more difficult to locate for the Taurus's- but you can negate even that by making your own. Im making another holster for mine today, in fact. And forget all the intereweb bs some folks will throw at you the moment you mention Taurus. Most of it was based on much much earlier products than are currently available, and most of the problems folks complained of ended up being operator-headspace, and misuse anyway.

Last edited:

Wetworx

The link to the Taurus says that it is blued. I'd go with the Glock...that Tennifer finish would serve you better in terms of wear. Just my $0.02.

HolyOrangeJuice

If you're going for anything in those sizes, why not just step up to a proper fighting round and go w/ a .45?
The recoil isnt as snappy, w/ proper ammo, they expand and penetrate more reliably in actual use, and a 1-3 round difference in capacity will be negated by not having to fire so many rounds to do the job anyway.

Either pistol though will be a good choice, otherwise. Holsters are more difficult to locate for the Taurus's- but you can negate even that by making your own. Im making another holster for mine today, in fact. And forget all the intereweb bs some folks will throw at you the moment you mention Taurus. Most of it was based on much much earlier products than are currently available, and most of the problems folks complained of ended up being operator-headspace, and misuse anyway.

I want a pistol i can afford to shoot a lot as well. Already have .45 covered. So im looking for a .40 or 9mm

HolyOrangeJuice

The link to the Taurus says that it is blued. I'd go with the Glock...that Tennifer finish would serve you better in terms of wear. Just my $0.02.

The at the store is simliar to this one. I dont think its blued...it has the same finish and smooth feel as the glock they had there.

sraacke

9mm ammo will cost less than .40cal so that's a plus for the 9. You will not have to spend so much $ to practice. Modern balistics makes the diff in performance between the 9 and .40 to be almost no existant. It's really up to you. Personally I'd be happy with a 9mm Glock in 9mm due to the number of holsters available and the low cost of ammo but .40 is nice too.

Wolfgang1952

For 1 that has seen the difference between the 9mm and the 45cal. I have used both as a Leo. After seeing what the 9mm won’t do, that is why I carry a 45. I started out with a 9mm S&W Model 59 and ended up with a 45cal. Colt 1911.

HolyOrangeJuice

a bit more than im willing to spend on a pistol. Since i can get that glock @ $425. Thats my maximum.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I've never been a big fan of short-barreled handguns, such as the Taurus linked in the OP.

Yes, its a 9mm, which is ordinarily adequate for most defensive needs. However, on ballistics charts, you'll notice that all the velocities and muzzle energies are taken using a five-inch barrel (for semi-autos) or a 4" barrel for revolvers.

Shortening the barrel reduces the bullet's "acceleration lane", reducing velocity. Now you have to pay attention to whether your hollow-point will open up at the reduced velocity. Or, find a cartridge made for a short-barrelled gun, and hope that cartridge feeds in your semi-auto, etc.

The spec's on the Taurus show it has a 3.5" barrel, which includes the chamber since we are talking about a semi-auto. Subtract 3/4" for the chamber and you really only have 2 3/4" inches for bullet acceleration before leaving the barrel. If your 9mm cartridge has test data of, say, 320 foot-pounds muzzle energy out of a four inch barrel (five inches minus chamber), with the Taurus I'm guessing you are reducing the muzzle energy into the vicinity of a .38 Special +P. Then, just to add insult to injury, you are launching that bullet from 27 oz gun. You don't even get the advantage of the extra weight in a revolver to soak up the recoil. I'm not saying this makes the gun unmanageable. I'm just pointing it out as an additional small but annoying disadvantage.

Unless you really need the shorter barrel for discreet carry, I'd take the whichever gun has the longer barrel if everything else was equal.

Anewday4me

Could buy a brand new rock island armory 1911 for $375. Just another option for you.

ET.

I own several Glocks and several Taurus handguns. My Taurus guns have been really reliable, but Glock makes one of the best sevice guns when it comes to reliability. My brother-in-law was a LEO in Alaska when his depart. switched from revolvers to semi's. They tortured every model they were looking at. Of all the guns, he said that only the Glock never jambed. Plus you have a higher chance of a flawed gun if you purchase the Taurus, but a used Glock could also have an issue as well, but police trade ins are usually well taken care of.

Short answer...get the Glock 22. If you want a 9mm gun after you shoot the 40s&w you can always simply buy a 40-9 conversion barrel & 9mm mags and you now have a 9mm gun. I've been shooting 9mm ammo from my G 27 for three years now with no malfunctions. That's better than most owners can say about their OEM barrels & mags. Oops, that wasn't as short as I had planned...Sorry!!!!:D

indykappa

from a reliability standpoint, it's tough to beat a glock. i don't own one, but have shot several (sometimes i think my uncle is sponsored by glock), and they seem to mow through any and all ammo

something else to consider...the aftermarket for glock parts is unquestioned. if you're into doing any sorts of mods to your firearm, you will not find a shortage of them. it actually kinda ticks me off when i go to look for stuff for my M&P40c at my local gunstores...all they have are glock mags, glock holsters (some of which will work), glock this, glock that...

for a $25 difference, i think this is an easy selection

j4l

For 1 that has seen the difference between the 9mm and the 45cal. I have used both as a Leo. After seeing what the 9mm won’t do, that is why I carry a 45. I started out with a 9mm S&W Model 59 and ended up with a 45cal. Colt 1911.

^^^ this X 100,000,000,000,000.99

There's a lot of well-documented reasons why the Military and all but 3 or 4 LE agencies in the U.S. are running as fast as they can from the 9mm. And some are even starting to realize the .40 was going from bad to worse in some cases. Everyone ends up coming full-circle back to the old .45.

As for ammo costs- where on earth are you folks purchasing your ammo from, that 9mm costs much more than $2 or $3 bucks different from .45 ? If even that much? Most stores I've been in-from mom-n-pop local gun shops to Gander to Dicks to Academy- there's almost zero difference in price from .40-9mm-.45-10mm all the way up to .50AE on the shelves. Some spikes for .41 Mag/.44 mag and .454 maybe but,...