• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oakwood Mall in Eau Claire

JJC

David Keating, vice president of corporate communications for General Growth Properties, said guns are not to be allowed at Oakwood Mall. GGP owns and operates the Eau Claire retail outlet.

"As private businesses, we do not allow weapons on our properties," Keating said. "In the event a public safety or management team member believes that an individual is in possession of a weapon, local law enforcement will be contacted to handle the situation appropriately."
Seems like my brothers and sisters in Eau Claire need to print up some NO GUNS NO MONEY cards.

JJC

Last edited:

Mlutz

Slow down there Protias... I've oc'd at that mall with no problems. (This is the mall with scheels right?)

BROKENSPROKET

Slow down there Protias... I've oc'd at that mall with no problems. (This is the mall with scheels right?)

Yup. I have OC'd there many times and I have only been kicked out once. I bought a t-shirt from a hippie store and the cashier called security on me. I still OC there though, but just to the movie theatre. I have not been past that point since I got kicked out. I do go to Scheels to, but I take the outside route to Carmikes Theatre now.

Last edited:

Pyro01

I go to that mall only for scheels now and maybe a movie, but not much else. Scheels has some of the best deals on handgun ammo in the area, almost 40% cheaper than Gander Mountain. Other cool places in the area is the Gun Xchange in Elk Mound, the owner is pretty cool, but he gets pretty pushy sometimes when he talks about ordering parts or guns for you. He did introduce me to my Taurus 24/7 OSS, which I just love!

protias

If the owner of the mall does not allow firearms, even though you've carried in there and has no signs, I'm still keeping it on the list. Just like when I read about people in IN OCing in BW3s, even though they are anti-carry, they are still on the list.

BROKENSPROKET

I go to that mall only for scheels now and maybe a movie, but not much else. Scheels has some of the best deals on handgun ammo in the area, almost 40% cheaper than Gander Mountain. Other cool places in the area is the Gun Xchange in Elk Mound, the owner is pretty cool, but he gets pretty pushy sometimes when he talks about ordering parts or guns for you. He did introduce me to my Taurus 24/7 OSS, which I just love!

Scheels is awesome. Last time I was there I noticed that all the bikes, canoes and tree stands were no longer displayed outside the store. Now there is just a monument of Thomas Jefferson holding the Constitution and a monument of George Washington doing the same on the other side. I asked one of the manager if the owner was a Costitutionalist. He said, he was a history professor or teacher and just wanted to get more people thinking about and talking about our founding fathers and the birth of our nation. Very cool.

Pyro01

Yeah I saw those statues as well, but I didn't ask any employee about it. It's nice to know! Other than that, what do you think of the new store layout? I went in there with a $25 gift card and it was so different I wasn't able to decide on what to get because it was all moved around. However, that's fine because I'll save the gift card for something I really want to get then.

BROKENSPROKET

Yeah I saw those statues as well, but I didn't ask any employee about it. It's nice to know! Other than that, what do you think of the new store layout? I went in there with a $25 gift card and it was so different I wasn't able to decide on what to get because it was all moved around. However, that's fine because I'll save the gift card for something I really want to get then.

I was only in the gun and hunting section for about 10 minutes and I did notice that the hunting clothes section was expanded. The next time I go, I will check out the whole store again.

doctiller

oakwood mall

If the owner of the mall does not allow firearms, even though you've carried in there and has no signs, I'm still keeping it on the list. Just like when I read about people in IN OCing in BW3s, even though they are anti-carry, they are still on the list.

there are signs up.
I almost walked past them. My wife pointed it out as I was walking in. Had assumed with Scheels there it was okay. Live and learn.

Took my business to Gander Mountain.

metalman383

I thought parking lots could not be posted. Jeff at scheels would be very dissapointed if I could no longer help him meet his monthly sales quota!!

BROKENSPROKET

I thought parking lots could not be posted. Jeff at scheels would be very dissapointed if I could no longer help him meet his monthly sales quota!!

It is legal, IF they are posted properly. But they still cannot prohibit you from having them IN your vehicle. Since I cannot legally get out of my vehicle and walk into Scheel's, I will be calling and emailing them, telling them that I love their store, I have to take my business else where because of the actions of your landlord, General Growth Properties. I always thought the Eau Claire Scheels badly needed a bigger store. Maybe they will move into a larger building and take care of that problem.

943.13 (1m) Whoever does any of the following is subject to a Class B forfeiture:
(c) 2. While carrying a firearm, enters or remains in any part of a nonresidential building, grounds of a nonresidential building, or land that the actor does not own or occupy after the owner of the building, grounds, or land, if that part of the building, grounds, or land has not been leased to another person, or the occupant of that part of the building, grounds, or land has notified the actor not to enter or remain in that part of the building, grounds, or land while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subdivision does not apply to a part of a building, grounds, or land occupied by the state or by a local governmental unit, to a privately or publicly owned building on the grounds of a university or college, or to the grounds of or land owned or occupied by a university or college, or, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in the parking facility, to any part of a building, grounds, or land used as a parking facility.

943.13 (2) (am) A person has received notice from the owner or occupant within the meaning of sub. (1m) (b), (e) or (f) if he or she has been notified personally, either orally or in writing, or if the land is posted. Land is considered to be posted under this paragraph under either of the following procedures:b. For the purposes of sub. (1m) (c) 2., an owner or occupant of the grounds of a nonresidential building or of land has notified an individual not to enter or remain on the grounds or land while carrying a firearm or with a particular type of firearm if the owner or occupant has posted a sign that is located in a prominent place near all probable access points to the grounds or land to which the restriction applies and any individual entering the grounds or land can be reasonably expected to see the sign.

Last edited: