• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in apartment complex

hvtopiwala

i was wondering if its legal to open carry in an apartment complex...such as walking to the mailbox etc..? i know open carry is allowed on your own personal property, but what is the apartment complex considered?

Ironside

i was wondering if its legal to open carry in an apartment complex...such as walking to the mailbox etc..? i know open carry is allowed on your own personal property, but what is the apartment complex considered?

Only your apartment is considered your property. The rest of the complex is considered common property and you cannot open carry ( not withstanding the new "briefly" if concealed) outside of your apartment.

IANAL so read FS 790 for more information

Rich7553

Only your apartment is considered your property. The rest of the complex is considered common property and you cannot open carry ( not withstanding the new "briefly" if concealed) outside of your apartment.

IANAL so read FS 790 for more information

Correct.

GIdeon_70

A case was tried and the man found guilty. He carried openly from his apartment to his car and back. The ruling by the court was that "Near," was near, not a walk to a parking lot.