• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock .40s not working properly

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I think it's pretty much near impossible that it is going to be the extractor, but one thing I didn't see (didn't read too close) is which generation Glock to which this problem refers. I have five Gen3 Glocks and I seriously doubt anything like this is going to occur with either the extractor of the ejector on the Gen3's. Not outside of the realm of remote possibility but extremely remote for certain. The design of the Glocks I own is such that the extractor would have to break and then get trapped between the striker and the primer to discharge a round. And the ejector does not come into contact with a fresh round either as it moves out of the magazine or when it enters the firing chamber.

Can't speak for Gen4's and I do understand they have had a few wrinkles.

Dreamer

IF we are in fact seeing a disproportionate number of ADs from the .40 caliber Glocks, I would venture to say these are MUCH more likely to be OE-related NDs than actual design-problem related ADs...

The .40 caliber Glock is, after all the preferred weapon of the DEA, BATFE, gang-bangers, and wannabees.

Let us all remember the firearms-handling prowess of DEA Agent Lee Paige...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKjYlpex4OM

And of course there was the fiasco in 1988 When the Washington DC MPD switched to Glocks:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/dcpolice/deadlyforce/police4page2.htm

and BOTH of these incidents were 100% the product of bad training, bad safety practices, and breaking at least two of the "4 Rules"...

I don't buy the premise that .40 caliber Glocks are any more dangerous or their design is any more subject to failure or AD than any other Glock, because they are ALL the exact same design.

My guess is that if there ARE more ADs with .40 cal Glocks, it is most likely nothing more than a case of a widespread epidemic of "ID-10-T errors"...

SouthernBoy

IF we are in fact seeing a disproportionate number of ADs from the .40 caliber Glocks, I would venture to say these are MUCH more likely to be OE-related NDs than actual design-problem related ADs...

The .40 caliber Glock is, after all the preferred weapon of the DEA, BATFE, gang-bangers, and wannabees.

And of course there was the fiasco in 1988 When the Washington DC MPD switched to Glocks:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/dcpolice/deadlyforce/police4page2.htm

and BOTH of these incidents were 100% the product of bad training, bad safety practices, and breaking at least two of the "4 Rules"...

I don't buy the premise that .40 caliber Glocks are any more dangerous or their design is any more subject to failure or AD than any other Glock, because they are ALL the exact same design.

My guess is that if there ARE more ADs with .40 cal Glocks, it is most likely nothing more than a case of a widespread epidemic of "ID-10-T errors"...

"gang-bangers, and wannabees", eh? Guess I better sell all three of my .40S&W Glocks then.

"because they are ALL the exact same design". Not quite as far as the Gen3 Glocks are concerned. There is a difference in the design of the ejector between the 9mm and the .40S&W Glocks. But this is a deliberate design feature and has worked quite well in these guns.

SouthernBoy

"gang-bangers, and wannabees", eh? Guess I better sell all three of my .40S&W Glocks then.

"because they are ALL the exact same design". Not quite as far as the Gen3 Glocks are concerned. There is a difference in the design of the ejector between the 9mm and the .40S&W Glocks. But this is a deliberate design feature and has worked quite well in these guns. Were there problems with this design, you can bet Glock would have addressed this early on and those problems would have been things of the past.

Butch00

I've had a Gen1 G22 for over 20 years. Never a problem.
And I have run a lot of Hard Cast Reloads threw it to.

carry for myself

simple. this happened exactly to my 3rd gen 19.

AFTER i put a cheap chinese made IMMITATION!. ghost 2.5lb trigger set in it.

a glock is partially cocked at all times when carrying +1

the CHINESE make horrible products lol

when the trigger set "crap" cannot fully hold the weight of a partially cocked striker.........it goes boom.

do not blame glock i own multiples of each model. glock is not the issue.

find out who owns this gun and tell them to buy a better trigger system.

#2 glock has a striker disconnect. odds are the orgininal owner pulled his pin to clean it. and re-assembled it wrong. it is 100% IMPOSSIBLE for a extractor or ejector to strike the firing pin.........unless the ejector is almost clean bent over.......but then again a round would not feed.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

AFTER i put a cheap chinese made IMMITATION!. ghost 2.5lb trigger set in it.

a glock is partially cocked at all times when carrying +1

the CHINESE make horrible products lol

when the trigger set "crap" cannot fully hold the weight of a partially cocked striker.........it goes boom.

#2 glock has a striker disconnect. odds are the orgininal owner pulled his pin to clean it. and re-assembled it wrong. it is 100% IMPOSSIBLE for a extractor or ejector to strike the firing pin.........unless the ejector is almost clean bent over.......but then again a round would not feed.

A 2.5 trigger?? Don't you mean a 3.5 connector? Also this is a bit off;

"a glock is partially cocked at all times when carrying +1"

When a Glock as been put in battery, the striker is at half cock regardless of how many rounds are in the magazine or if one is in the chamber... or even if the gun is empty.

CO-Joe

Hmmm. That should be pretty impossible for two reasons: 1) a half-cocked striker should not have enough momentum to set off a primer 2) Glocks like virtually all modern pistols have a firing pin block, which automatically disengages as the trigger is pulled. Even with a malfunctioning trigger set, it is pretty unlikely for a Glock to have this sort of problem.

Considering the *billions of rounds* fired through Glocks, and similar designs (i.e. copies), I am inclined to believe there is not a design problem.

c45man

40 caliber with problems.... I have read, at least regarding gen. 4s, that the 9MM had reported issues. The glock 22, like them or not, is probably the best selling particular model handgun in the country. If there is any problems, Glock is very reputable regarding correcting whatever problems arise.

Aknazer

Hmmm. That should be pretty impossible for two reasons: 1) a half-cocked striker should not have enough momentum to set off a primer 2) Glocks like virtually all modern pistols have a firing pin block, which automatically disengages as the trigger is pulled. Even with a malfunctioning trigger set, it is pretty unlikely for a Glock to have this sort of problem.

Considering the *billions of rounds* fired through Glocks, and similar designs (i.e. copies), I am inclined to believe there is not a design problem.

I don't remember where I read the article, but there were tests performed on both the Glocks and the XD/XDms and it was shown that a "half-cocked" striker still had enough force to nearly always set off a primer. So if the firing pin block were to somehow fail (such as someone taking it apart and not properly reassembling it) a half-cocked gun would be able to fire.