• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denver Armed Citizen Shoots Thug

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
The story stems from an incident back on July 3rd, but didn't make the news media until yesterday.

Seems a trio of nice young American felons were driving in a dangerous manner where kids were present on the street. When a neighbor shouted "Slow down!" these fine, upstanding young thugs turned around and tried to run the man down with their vehicle.... TWICE.

Hearing shouts from outside, a citizen went out into the street with his .45 pistol. The young offenders then aimed their car at him and attempted to run him down. The man fired 4 shots, hitting the driver in the face.

Story here: http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-man-shoots-gang-member-running-down-neighbor-20110719,0,3341198.story

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Well at least the shooter wasn't walking down the centerline of the street... LoL :eek: :D

Howdy HK!
I have since learned that he was detained in the back of a police vehicle, but the neighbors who witnessed
the incident all spoke out on his behalf. The guys in the car tried to run down another citizen, he came to
their aid, they aimed their car at him, he tried to warn them off with his laser, but was forced to fire in his
own defense. The threat got stopped without anybody getting killed. Looks like a clean shoot.

Meanwhile, three more gangers are off the streets. At least for awhile.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Packer fan

It's getting so that kids can't even have a little fun these days without being shot.

These outstanding young men were just having fun. After all, these young men just missed their midnight basketball outing. The government should provide places were these three contributing members of society can practice their driving skills. If only the government would allow them a place to vent their energy.

The gunman should go out to the range more if he wants to shoot at moving targets, NOT pick on innocent aspiring NASCAR drivers. One would a driver the other two wanted to be in the pit crew.

Last edited:

Kirbinator

When you're faced with 4,500 lbs of car headed at you at 30+ miles an hour, the mind goes immediately into self-preservation and self-defense.

Someone almost mowed me down one night when I was out running in my neighborhood at 9PM. If I had my pistol, I would have shot it.

zack991

It's getting so that kids can't even have a little fun these days without being shot.

These outstanding young men were just having fun. After all, these young men just missed their midnight basketball outing. The government should provide places were these three contributing members of society can practice their driving skills. If only the government would allow them a place to vent their energy.

The gunman should go out to the range more if he wants to shoot at moving targets, NOT pick on innocent aspiring NASCAR drivers. One would a driver the other two wanted to be in the pit crew.

Thanks a lot my side hurts and theres beer everywhere but my mouth.

MKEgal

...fired four shots at the car.
One bullet landed in [the driver's] face.
His two passengers... were uninjured.
The three men fled... John drove himself to Denver Health Medical Center...
I gotta admire the guy's moxie, driving himself to the hospital after being shot in the face.

It's a darn good shot to hit the driver as he's coming at you,
and apparently the police were satisfied he acted in self-defense, which is a good thing to hear.

But I want more details about where the people were when the driver tried to run them down,
and if they were in the street did they have time to get out of the street, behind another car, etc.?
Could it have been avoided (other than by the thugs not trying to kill people)?

No sleep lost for 3 thugs being taken off the streets, or even being injured in the process, since he was clearly trying to kill or seriously harm at least 2 people (deliberately, then factor in all the other people who could have been accidentally harmed).

ManInBlack

But I want more details about where the people were when the driver tried to run them down,
and if they were in the street did they have time to get out of the street, behind another car, etc.?
Could it have been avoided (other than by the thugs not trying to kill people)?

What is the status of Colorado law on the duty of an individual to retreat in the face of imminent threat in a public place that he is lawfully at? (stand your ground/make my day)

Even if no statutory protection exists, I would argue that once the felons demonstrated intent to kill him by running him down, he had no way of knowing if they would simply pull out a gun and shoot him once he stepped out of the path of the vehicle.