Thread: Baltimore: Bullet tax?

Baltimore: Bullet tax?

Really? My first impulse is to laugh hysterically...until I realize this guy is serious about it.

BALTIMORE -- A mayoral candidate's plan to reduce violence in Baltimore includes a "bullet tax" that he said will increase the cost of committing a crime.

Otis Rolley said he would, if elected, propose a $1 per bullet tax on all bullet purchases in the city. The idea was part of an overall crime plan he unveiled Tuesday.
    http://www.wbaltv.com/r/28595846/detail.html#COMMENTTOP

Scary thing is, according to the poll embedded in the article, there's over 500 people who agree with this doofus.

That is the most stupid article I have seen on this forum in awhile. Doesn't this guy realize that people who illegally buy their guns probably get their ammunition the same way?
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-20-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

It's going to take time before we can convince a culture of people who have been raised without arms and have seen their primary use in violent crime that less guns is not a reasonable solution.

They likely have an emotional reaction to gun fire and the sight of guns.

We'll need to work tirelessly against politicians peddling gun control schemes and pandering to appeals to emotion.

Facts will help. But they aren't enough. Emotions run strong on both sides of the issue.

Obviously closed minds cannot be convinced, but we have to find those open enough to the conversation to listen and learn. We need to listen too. No one likes to admit they're wrong. Conversation is a two way communication.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    Really? My first impulse is to laugh hysterically...until I realize this guy is serious about it.

Scary thing is, according to the poll embedded in the article, there's over 500 people who agree with this doofus.
    Criminals use far fewer bullets than law abiding citizens do. This will not reduce crime one iota. At most, it will reduce the amount of practice that lawful carriers put in--and that would be a detrimental effect.

I fully support this proposal.

It will drive thousands of law-abiding MD gun owners to buy all their ammo and patronize ranges in VA and PA, thereby stripping the State Treasury of tens of thousands of dollars in business tax revenues.

Anything that takes money out of the coffers of MD State government is a good idea...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

I guess casting your own bullets and reloading is going to become very popular in Maryland.

In most of the state of MD, you are never more than an hour's drive from at least one state that is 2A-friendly. If you live in Baltimore, you are less than an hour from THREE states (PA, VA, DE) that are 2A-friendly...

If passed, this law is going to cause a LOT of law-abiding firearms owners to do a LOT of out-of-state traveling.

As well it should.

Any time the good people of MD can take the opportunity to deny the State the opportunity to fatten their coffers in Annapolis, it is a GOOD thing.

I applaud this measure. Hopefully it will cause a significant financial hit to the State Treasury, and will cause some freedom-loving people to wake the "F" up, and begin their exodus from the "Land of Pharaoh O'Malley" to the Free Lands to their North, West and South...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Regular Member Maryland Shall Issue's Avatar

Posturing, that's all it is.

First off, there are no ammunition retailers within the city limits.

Secondly, this would violate state pre-emption laws and he hasn't the mojo to get it passed. They tried a similar bill a few years ago statewide and we defeated it in committee.

Banned
    I thought the Bullets left Baltimore for DC and became the Wizards?

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar

I thought it was a Dave Chapelle skit for a second.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland Shall Issue View Post
    Secondly, this would violate state pre-emption laws and he hasn't the mojo to get it passed. They tried a similar bill a few years ago statewide and we defeated it in committee.

State Pre-emption in MD? Oh, you mean like when the State has a statute on the books that SPECIFICALLY prohibits localities from doing something, which prevents them from passing certain local codes or taxes?

Yeah, That would DEFINITELY prevent this tax.

Just like State Preemption stopped Montgomery, PG, and Howard counties from installing speed and red light camera systems which are owned, serviced, operated by a firm in Texas. Oh, wait a minute, when someone sued those counties under a State Preemption violation, the MD AG just gave them a pass and said it was OK.

Yeah State preemption will work against something like this, I'm sure--ESPECIALLY if the law is written to funnel some of the moneys to the State Treasury like the stop light camera codes in MoCo, PG and HoCo are...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by PrayingForWar View Post
    I thought it was a Dave Chapelle skit for a second.
    Actually, the average Dave Chapelle skit is makes about 100 times more sense and is about 1000 times closer to reality than Baltimore Politics...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Actually, the average Dave Chapelle skit is makes about 100 times more sense and is about 1000 times closer to reality than Baltimore Politics...
    There's one thing we can agree on.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Chris Rock re:columbine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db0Y4qIZ4PA

Skip to the end if you want the part about bullet control.

Considering the current MD court case pending before SCOTUS, this idea is poorly timed. If SCOTUS rules in our (pro-2A) favor, they will not look kindly on a MD city implementing a weapons ban as a tax.