Thread: Law enforcement to begin iPhone iris scans amid privacy concerns

Law enforcement to begin iPhone iris scans amid privacy concerns

(Reuters) - Dozens of police departments nationwide are gearing up to use a tech company's already controversial iris- and facial-scanning device that slides over an iPhone and helps identify a person or track criminal suspects.

The so-called "biometric" technology, which seems to take a page from TV shows like "MI-5" or "CSI," could improve speed and accuracy in some routine police work in the field. However, its use has set off alarms with some who are concerned about possible civil liberties and privacy issues.

The smartphone-based scanner, named Mobile Offender Recognition and Information System, or MORIS, is made by BI2 Technologies in Plymouth, Massachusetts, and can be deployed by officers out on the beat or back at the station.

An iris scan, which detects unique patterns in a person's eyes, can reduce to seconds the time it takes to identify a suspect in custody. This technique also is significantly more accurate than results from other fingerprinting technology long in use by police, BI2 says.

When attached to an iPhone, MORIS can photograph a person's face and run the image through software that hunts for a match in a BI2-managed database of U.S. criminal records. Each unit costs about $3,000.

Some experts fret police may be randomly scanning the population, using potentially intrusive techniques to search for criminals, sex offenders, and illegal aliens, but the manufacturer says that would be a difficult task for officers to carry out.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76J4A120110720

If you can refuse to provide ID, can you refuse to be scanned as well?

Iris scanner?

This is face recognition software by the sounds of the article.

At any rate, I wouldn't get caught up in the CSI effect too much. I highly doubt an iPhone has the processing capability to effectively do what they are asking it do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76J4A120110720

If you can refuse to provide ID, can you refuse to be scanned as well?
    I don't care if they use this stuff in the same circumstances where the courts have already ruled that they may take fingerprints. Any other time would be a violation of privacy. However, if the police try to use it at some other time, the courts should slap them down.

Absent some custodial setting where the documentation of identity is "standard" practice, this smacks of a search.

Better bring a warrant with that smart-phone, copper!

Yes, I know that CCTV can be used without a warrant, and tat they are good enough to get iris scans without my being held or otherwise delayed. But using a smart phone sounds like I would need to "smile for the birdie" - and I'm not gonna unless they have filled out the necessary forms, dotting the "Ts" and crossing the "Is" as required by law.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    dotting the "Ts" and crossing the "Is" as required by law.
    Is that how you do it? Man, I've been writing wrong all these years...:-)

As for the OP, I also think scanning people without their permission would constitute a search. This technology also sounds like it would be expensive to implement. What's wrong with a good old driver's license?
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-20-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Hmmm... How similar is this to forcibly taking blood at a dui stop?

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    well if ya dont like finger prints. its a medically proven fact if you burn them off with 3rd degree burns, they will NOT grow back the same........................however.......i dont think anyone wants to burn off their face. even though it would really hamper the use of a facial recognition scanner :-p lol
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

The iPhone app that does facial recognition is publicly available.

Anyone with a Facebook page, or other social media account who has their photo on it will be a potential data entry in this facial recognition database...

And for those who are not on social media, the software allows you to take a picture, and then MANUALLY make an entry for them with name, adress, occupation, etc...

Think, for a minute, folks, what this means for us--think POSITIVE...

What this means is we can use this like we use video- and audio-recording devices. We can start creating a national face-scan database of "bad cops"...

Y'all need to think outside the box--technology is neither good nor evil in and of itself--it's how you USE it that makes it so.

We can use this to our TREMENDOUS advantage...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

Anyone with a Facebook page, or other social media account who has their photo on it will be a potential data entry in this facial recognition database...

And for those who are not on social media, the software allows you to take a picture, and then MANUALLY make an entry for them with name, adress, occupation, etc...

What this means is we can use this like we use video- and audio-recording devices. We can start creating a national face-scan database of "bad cops"...

Y'all need to think outside the box--technology is neither good nor evil in and of itself--it's how you USE it that makes it so.

Good point Dreamer. I didn't think about it in that way and I bet they didn't either.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Good point Dreamer. I didn't think about it in that way and I bet they didn't either.
    Their greatest "power" is also their greatest weakness.

The People cannot defeat monolithic power with brute force. We can't think like "ultimate fighters", you have to think like an Aikido master--use their power against them. We don't need to throw a single punch--just gracefully and craftily redirect their motions, and they will eventually throw themselves onto the ground...

Thus endeth the lesson...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

I DO believe "they" have thought of this, and here is why...

There has been a concerted effort in LEAs nationwide to convince the people over the last year or two--through harassment, intimidation, brutality, and illegal arrest--that photographing LEOs is somehow illegal, or a threat to LE safety.

This technology has taken about 2 years to develop and perfect.

They knew all along this tech was coming out (at the top), and the orders have been given that LEOs were to behave in this way against photography.

2+2=4.

This isn't rocket science folks...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Iris scanner?

This is face recognition software by the sounds of the article.

At any rate, I wouldn't get caught up in the CSI effect too much. I highly doubt an iPhone has the processing capability to effectively do what they are asking it do.
    No need for the iPhone to do any of the processing, all it has to do is pass the scan off to a central database and a system which could have all kinds of horsepower.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

Sort of like Brady Cops...

TFred