• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Law enforcement to begin iPhone iris scans amid privacy concerns

PDinDetroit

(Reuters) - Dozens of police departments nationwide are gearing up to use a tech company's already controversial iris- and facial-scanning device that slides over an iPhone and helps identify a person or track criminal suspects.

The so-called "biometric" technology, which seems to take a page from TV shows like "MI-5" or "CSI," could improve speed and accuracy in some routine police work in the field. However, its use has set off alarms with some who are concerned about possible civil liberties and privacy issues.

The smartphone-based scanner, named Mobile Offender Recognition and Information System, or MORIS, is made by BI2 Technologies in Plymouth, Massachusetts, and can be deployed by officers out on the beat or back at the station.

An iris scan, which detects unique patterns in a person's eyes, can reduce to seconds the time it takes to identify a suspect in custody. This technique also is significantly more accurate than results from other fingerprinting technology long in use by police, BI2 says.

When attached to an iPhone, MORIS can photograph a person's face and run the image through software that hunts for a match in a BI2-managed database of U.S. criminal records. Each unit costs about $3,000.

Some experts fret police may be randomly scanning the population, using potentially intrusive techniques to search for criminals, sex offenders, and illegal aliens, but the manufacturer says that would be a difficult task for officers to carry out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/20/us-crime-identification-iris-idUSTRE76J4A120110720

If you can refuse to provide ID, can you refuse to be scanned as well?

VW_Factor

Iris scanner?

This is face recognition software by the sounds of the article.

At any rate, I wouldn't get caught up in the CSI effect too much. I highly doubt an iPhone has the processing capability to effectively do what they are asking it do.

eye95

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Absent some custodial setting where the documentation of identity is "standard" practice, this smacks of a search.

Better bring a warrant with that smart-phone, copper!

Yes, I know that CCTV can be used without a warrant, and tat they are good enough to get iris scans without my being held or otherwise delayed. But using a smart phone sounds like I would need to "smile for the birdie" - and I'm not gonna unless they have filled out the necessary forms, dotting the "Ts" and crossing the "Is" as required by law.

stay safe.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
dotting the "Ts" and crossing the "Is" as required by law.

Is that how you do it? Man, I've been writing wrong all these years...:)

As for the OP, I also think scanning people without their permission would constitute a search. This technology also sounds like it would be expensive to implement. What's wrong with a good old driver's license?

Last edited:

carry for myself

well if ya dont like finger prints. its a medically proven fact if you burn them off with 3rd degree burns, they will NOT grow back the same........................however.......i dont think anyone wants to burn off their face. even though it would really hamper the use of a facial recognition scanner :p lol

Dreamer

The iPhone app that does facial recognition is publicly available.

Anyone with a Facebook page, or other social media account who has their photo on it will be a potential data entry in this facial recognition database...

And for those who are not on social media, the software allows you to take a picture, and then MANUALLY make an entry for them with name, adress, occupation, etc...

Think, for a minute, folks, what this means for us--think POSITIVE...

What this means is we can use this like we use video- and audio-recording devices. We can start creating a national face-scan database of "bad cops"...

Y'all need to think outside the box--technology is neither good nor evil in and of itself--it's how you USE it that makes it so.

We can use this to our TREMENDOUS advantage...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Anyone with a Facebook page, or other social media account who has their photo on it will be a potential data entry in this facial recognition database...

And for those who are not on social media, the software allows you to take a picture, and then MANUALLY make an entry for them with name, adress, occupation, etc...

What this means is we can use this like we use video- and audio-recording devices. We can start creating a national face-scan database of "bad cops"...

Y'all need to think outside the box--technology is neither good nor evil in and of itself--it's how you USE it that makes it so.

Good point Dreamer. I didn't think about it in that way and I bet they didn't either.

Dreamer

Good point Dreamer. I didn't think about it in that way and I bet they didn't either.

Their greatest "power" is also their greatest weakness.

The People cannot defeat monolithic power with brute force. We can't think like "ultimate fighters", you have to think like an Aikido master--use their power against them. We don't need to throw a single punch--just gracefully and craftily redirect their motions, and they will eventually throw themselves onto the ground...

Thus endeth the lesson... ;)

Dreamer

I DO believe "they" have thought of this, and here is why...

There has been a concerted effort in LEAs nationwide to convince the people over the last year or two--through harassment, intimidation, brutality, and illegal arrest--that photographing LEOs is somehow illegal, or a threat to LE safety.

This technology has taken about 2 years to develop and perfect.

They knew all along this tech was coming out (at the top), and the orders have been given that LEOs were to behave in this way against photography.

2+2=4.

This isn't rocket science folks...

TFred

Iris scanner?

This is face recognition software by the sounds of the article.

At any rate, I wouldn't get caught up in the CSI effect too much. I highly doubt an iPhone has the processing capability to effectively do what they are asking it do.
No need for the iPhone to do any of the processing, all it has to do is pass the scan off to a central database and a system which could have all kinds of horsepower.

Sort of like Brady Cops...

TFred