• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Outside Wal-Mart LEO Encounter

aadvark

EVERYONE:

This is a Perfect Example of Why it is too Bad that Senate Bill 102 did NOT Pass during This Past Legislative Session!

Senate Bill 102 would have Removed The Requirement to Present a Georgia Weapons Carry License upon Demand to a Peace Officer, Effectively Turning Georgia into a 'Honor System', of Sorts, whenever a Peace Officer would otherwise like to make a Determination as to whether or not a Person is a License Holder.

The Language of that Senate Bill that would have done that is Located here under Line 553 through Line 556: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display.aspx?Legislation=32793

aadvark

Last edited:

Kingfish

if your gun was under your shirt, then it was concealed. if it was concealed, don't you need to have a license/permit for that, and aren't you required to provide it under lawful demand?
In Georgia carrying a firearm is NOT a crime. Not possessing a license to carry the firearm is an element of the crime of carrying without a license. What that means is that the state must prove you do not have a license. The officer cannot detain you or demand to see a permit because he has no RAS to believe you have, are or are going to commit a crime.

In Georgia before SB308 a firearm license was a DEFENSE to the crime of carrying a concealed weapon but only when concealed. That is no more. CC is now the same as OC (completely legal activity unless you don't have a license.) In TN, the carrying of a firearm CC or OC is a crime and having a permit is a defense to that crime. Very different laws from state to state.

The OP did not need to show the firearms license but I support his decision to do so to avoid the ride.

jahwarrior

In Georgia carrying a firearm is NOT a crime. Not possessing a license to carry the firearm is an element of the crime of carrying without a license. What that means is that the state must prove you do not have a license. The officer cannot detain you or demand to see a permit because he has no RAS to believe you have, are or are going to commit a crime.

In Georgia before SB308 a firearm license was a DEFENSE to the crime of carrying a concealed weapon but only when concealed. That is no more. CC is now the same as OC (completely legal activity unless you don't have a license.) In TN, the carrying of a firearm CC or OC is a crime and having a permit is a defense to that crime. Very different laws from state to state.

The OP did not need to show the firearms license but I support his decision to do so to avoid the ride.

that's interesting. in PA, carrying a firearm concealed is a felony. having a license is an exception to the law, which sounds like the opposite of what you're saying. basically, in PA, if a LEO suspects you have a concealed firearm, he can demand to see a license to make sure you aren't committing a felony. of course, open carry is legal, except on Philly; there, we need to have a license to carry openly or concealed.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Am I free to go?

If you feel imposed upon enough to ask, you already know the answer. That feeling of being imposed upon, that is being detained.

If you ask, you'll never get a straight answer anyway. You'll stand there being detained, asking if you are being detained... How useful is that?

Ask "WHY am I being detained." now you have made it clear that detainement is already taking place. And it is. If you feel so imposed upon, then you are. That's how it works. I've got piles of Case Law to tell you so. It is about weather YOU feel like you are free to go, or not. The Officer's acknowledgement or announcement of it is irrelevant. You don't need his approval or disapproval. Only his actions imposing upon you.

Again, if you feel uncomfortable enough that you need to ask, YOU ALREADY KNOW.

When you ask "WHY am I being detained?" The Officer better have RAS/PC, or he better say "Oh, you're not being detained!" and off you go...

If you still get the silent treatment, no answer, then the Officer didn't catch the key words. You ARE being detained becasue YOU said you were. Don't walk away while being detained. Let him illegally detain you withoout giving a reason. He probbaly won't be able to think of one in court, either. Crucify the bastard later if you like. But stand there and take it.

So far, I've been told "Oh, you're not being detained!" and then I see their sad face as they realize what just happened and I walk away.

Kingfish

that's interesting. in PA, carrying a firearm concealed is a felony. having a license is an exception to the law, which sounds like the opposite of what you're saying. basically, in PA, if a LEO suspects you have a concealed firearm, he can demand to see a license to make sure you aren't committing a felony. of course, open carry is legal, except on Philly; there, we need to have a license to carry openly or concealed.
Correct. Sound like GA and PA used to be the same as far as carrying concealed was a crime and a license could be demanded but OC is not a crime (though in GA lack of having one while carrying is the crime.) Now OC and CC are legal with a license in GA but if the officer has RAS or PC that you don't have one, he could detain but cannot for just carrying as it is a completely legal activity.

papa bear

Even though the officer was not doing the right thing. i do commend his composer. after seeing so many civilian LEOs going off when someone stands up to them, he actually sounded reasonable

THE_HUSTLEMAN, what do you think he would done if you had been open carrying ?

scottw1979

yes, my FIREARMS license, not my drivers license which he tried to demand.

I had NO PROBLEM showing him my firearms license, which I did

If you have a Georgia Firearms license then it doesn't have a picture, so he had every right to ask for your driver's license to verify it was your license and not stolen/lost from another person. After all you had to show your driver's license to obtain the carrying permit to begin with.

the_hustleman

If you have a Georgia Firearms license then it doesn't have a picture, so he had every right to ask for your driver's license to verify it was your license and not stolen/lost from another person. After all you had to show your driver's license to obtain the carrying permit to begin with.

Well the law here in georgia doesn't say I have to show it. If I did, I would have gone to jail.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

scottw1979

You are correct. The officer had every right to ask. And the OP had every right to refuse to show it. A demand for the driver's license to validate the GHL could not be made without reasonable and articulable suspispicion that the Georgia Handgun License was falsified or stolen...

This day and time any one carrying a weapon is "reasonable and articulable suspispicion". Sad, but true. I have a permit as well and use it. I would have no promblem showing my permit AND my photo ID to a LEO. Sounds like to me ya'll are just trying to confrontational when ther is really no need.

scottw1979

Thankfully, there are several high position courts that disagree with you. One is the Washington State Supreme Court in State v. Casad:
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=9

No RAS because of carrying firearms, therefore no authority to detain Casad for a Terry stop.

Another one is the New Mexico United States (Federal) District Court in St. John v. Alamagordo:
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=52

Again, no RAS simply because of the presence of the gun.

Would you waive your 2nd Amendment rights and leave your gun locked in your house simply because a person with a uniform and a badge asked you to? Why not? Would you consider it to be confrontational if you refused and lawfully carried your gun anyway? I've been asked by a LEO to cover my gun before, and I said no. Was that confrontational? Or, if a police officer pulls you over for speeding and asks to search the trunk of your car, is it confrontational if you say no?

If you won't waive your 2nd Amendment rights and leave your gun at home, why are you so willing to waive your 4th Amendment rights? What is there to be gained by simply waiving your 4th Amendment rights? Why is it OK for a person to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights, but yet when they exercise their 4th Amendment rights now they are being confrontational? If it wasn't for the 4th Amendment protections the 2nd Amendment would mean nothing because police could simply search and seize firearms at will under "color of law". Without the 4th Amendment there would be nothing keeping them from doing so. The 4th Amendment applies as much to my personal identity and identification documents as it does to my house, my car and my person and is just as important to exercise in all those areas. Would you waive your 4th Amendment rights and let a cop search your house, just to prove that you had nothing illegal there? You have nothing to hide, aren't you just being confrontational if you say no? Why are you so willing to let a cop do so with your personal identity?

Do you not have to show your driver's license when you go through a police check point they randomly put up in the road some where? There is no probable cause there either, do you refuse then? I doubt it. Simply proving your identity does not fall under "search and seizure".

MKEgal

First off, welcome to the forum (since nobody else has remembered their manners yet)...
Second, do some reading.
There are quite a few threads across OCDO dealing with "stop & identify" statutes, which vary from state to state.

scottw1979 said:
Do you not have to show your driver's license when you go through a police check point they randomly put up in the road some where?
There is no probable cause there either, do you refuse then? I doubt it.
Generally, no, you don't have to.
Not unless they have RAS [reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime], or your state has (an unconsitutional) law that says you must provide ID (or even just tell an officer your name & address) upon demand.

And generally, no, people who value their rights don't provide ID on demand, unless the officers can state their RAS, whether driving or carrying.

In fact, IIRC it was Delaware v. Prouse where the Court ruled that stopping a car for the sole purpose of checking for a valid permit is unreasonable search & seizure. Logically, the same applies to someone carrying, whether it requires a permit or (especially) if it doesn't.

(BTW, RAS is a lower standard than PC. They can stop you unconsensually w/ RAS, but need PC to arrest.)

Simply proving your identity does not fall under "search and seizure".
Yes, it does.
Again, do some reading. Navy gave you some good starting places.
Absent RAS, the police may request your name, etc., and you might decide to waive your rights against unreasonable/unwarranted search & seizure as well as self-incrimination & hand over your gov't-issued identity document. Entirely your decision.

But police can't demand it w/o RAS, & even then you have the right to remain silent, so use it.
Go onto YouTube & search for the "don't talk to cops" videos.
They're about an hour long, total, & probably some of the most useful, well-spent time you will ever have.

The first half of the lecture is done at warp speed by a lawyer explaining WHY you should take full advantage of your right to remain silent, the second half slightly slower by a law student who is also a cop, who basically says "yeah, what he said: don't talk to cops", while giving examples of how police work a suspect.

Last edited:
M

McX

Officer E. Howell of the Atlanta PD stopped me while I had a hand full of groceries because he saw my handgun printing under my shirt. Luckily I managed to turn my phones voice recorder on in time and recorded the entire encounter.

From when he asked for a permit, tried to make me show him my license, threatened to "make this difficult" and bring his sergeant into it, as he approached me with his hand on the grip of his gun.

After his sergeant eventually told him he didn't have a leg to stand on, he left me alone.

Wish you could have seen the look on his face when I bluffed him about "calling my Attorney Doug King" his eyes got big on me.

But eventually he left me alone and I went on my way.

damn shame sometimes to get the engine to run right you have to use the choke.

Kingfish

This day and time any one carrying a weapon is "reasonable and articulable suspispicion". Sad, but true. I have a permit as well and use it. I would have no promblem showing my permit AND my photo ID to a LEO. Sounds like to me ya'll are just trying to confrontational when ther is really no need.

Please study
THE STATE v. JONES, 289 Ga. App. 176 (2008)
http://www.georgiapacking.org/caselaw/statevjones.htm

This is the GEORGIA case that shows that the mere presence of a firearm is NOT RAS.

Last edited:

scottw1979

I stand corrected. I'm all for the 2nd and 4th amendment. I'm on here to learn and contribute when I can. I have learned from all this and will not be so forthcoming to surrender my ID or anything else in the future.

Thank You everyone for the information, love reading the stuff evryone has to say.