• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The City of Rockford is Violating Preemption, too...

aadvark

Rockford City Code Section 3.1(D)(15) is Preempted by Michigan Codified Law 123.1102.

This Section of Rockford Code Prohibits, among other Things, Firearms in Rockford Parks.

Rockford City Code Section 8.2(I)(7) is also Prohibited by Michigan Codified Law 123.1102.

This Section of Rockford Code makes it Unlawful to Carry a Firearm in General while in Public.

aadvark

stainless1911:

It is NOT that I am Bored and went '...[D]igging them Up...', however; I was Planning another Visit to Michigan, and in Reviewing The Local Transit Systems in Kent County, I happened to Discover that a lot of Local Governmental Units in that County were Flaunting Preemption.

Some were, however; more Blatant about it than others, though.

aadvark

aadvark

stainless 1911:

Furthermore, Grand Rapids City Public Bus Service, The Rapid, Prohibits Firearms and Ammunition, and, again..., another Violation of The Michigan Codified Laws.

These Illegal and Unlawful Ordinances have to Stop, for Everyone, whether from Michigan, or not.

*** The Rapid Bus Website has The Following about NO Firearms, Rule No. 2: http://www.ridetherapid.org/ride/rules ***

*** IF..., and only IF..., The Rapid Bus System would Remove The Words '... of any Kind', then, Their Rule would be Consistent with Michigan Law, IF, further, They were to Define Weapon as any Device Enumerated under Michigan Codified Law 750.224. ***

aadvark

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Email response, and my rebuttal.

ME

Your no weapons policy concerning firearms is illegal and unenforceable under MCL 123.1102, please remove it. 123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms. Sec. 2. A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

THEM

The Firearms Act (specifically, MCL 123.1102) does not apply to ITP because ITP is not a local unit of government, which is clearly defined as city, village, township, or county. ITP is an independent transit authority organized under Act 196.

Jennifer Kalczuk
External Relations Manager

ME

I respectfully disagree. If it was created bu a .gov, then preemption applies.

Lets say you're right, just for the sake of discussion. You have figured out how to keep the law abiding from exercising thier rights, thereby being unable to protect themselves, and your employees, how do you intend on preventing the criminals from carrying thier guns?

detroit_fan

All the more reason to support the CADL v MOC case. More and more authorities will start restricting firearms.

Has MOC received any help from some of the larger 2A groups since this went to appeals. NRA, SAF, GOA, MCRGO? I thought I remember the NRA saying they would get involved at the appeals level.