• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Ferndale- do they just like messing with people?

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i have a buddy who applied for a PTP in ferndale a couple months ago. they jerked him around for a couple weeks telling him to come back because it wasn't ready yet. they finally told him the detective had it and he would give my buddy a call when it was ready. finally, he got a letter from detective Lt. wilson stating that his purchase permit was being denied because they had reason to believe he'd be a danger to himself or others or commit a criminal offense. however, they did not cite the specific probable cause for denial. he went ahead and applied for the CPL which was approved in less than a month, no issues at all. what gives? does ferndale just like trampling rights? anyone from that area have any stories?

i told my buddy to have fun when he goes in to drop off his RI-60... maybe drop it off with a copy of his denial letter :banana:

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i told him he should go in and ask them to specifically cite the PC for denial, but he said he didn't want to kick the hive until after he had his CPL in hand. understandable.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Well, the big difference is, his CPL is issued by the county gun board. So far as I know, local CLEOs don't sit on the gun board, only the sheriff and state police, along with usually, the county prosecutor, some "other" citizen, and I think, maybe the county clerk.

The PtP, on the other hand is issued by the local PD, or the county sheriff if you live outside city limits. I wish I could be there when he takes in the RI-60 form. :)

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i understand the difference between the issuing bodies, what i don't understand is how ferndale could do a background check and find probable cause and the county did the same background check, if not MORE thorough and didn't find probable cause?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
i understand the difference between the issuing bodies, what i don't understand is how ferndale could do a background check and find probable cause and the county did the same background check, if not MORE thorough and didn't find probable cause?
Well, this is just a guess on my part, but I'd say the County Sheriff isn't as "inventive" as the local police. ;)

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
You need a permit to purchase a handgun in Michigan? Is that what this is about?

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
How much you want to bet the City did not even do a BI?

i wondered the same thing, the letter stated probably cause without citing it, so i was wondering if it was a form letter that they send out to everyone the first time they apply just to discourage lawful gun ownership. the whole thing is stupid, they guy is perfectly legal to own all the unregistered rifles he wants... he's got a pretty decent collection. couple tactical shotguns, couple ARs, couple hunting rifles. any one of those would be more devastating than a pistol if used outside the law. but guess what, they're not used outside the law, because he's a law abiding citizen. all the more reason to do away with stupid permission slips, ie PTP and CPL

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
i wondered the same thing, the letter stated probably cause without citing it, so i was wondering if it was a form letter that they send out to everyone the first time they apply just to discourage lawful gun ownership. the whole thing is stupid, they guy is perfectly legal to own all the unregistered rifles he wants... he's got a pretty decent collection. couple tactical shotguns, couple ARs, couple hunting rifles. any one of those would be more devastating than a pistol if used outside the law. but guess what, they're not used outside the law, because he's a law abiding citizen. all the more reason to do away with stupid permission slips, ie PTP and CPL
"Probably cause" or Probable cause?

In any event, sounds like typical bull feces to me. I find it odd it took that long for them to notify him. When ever I'd go to get a PtP, (before I got my CPL) the local police or sheriff's office would do the background check right then, and I'd know if there was a problem in about 2 minutes or less.

Yooper

Sounds like a great reason to get the P2P law repealed. I think a good pro-gun rep could make a convincing case in the legislature that the PD's are denying people their rights to purchase handguns, when clearly a more thorough background check done by the county gun board didn't turn up any issues.

PDinDetroit

Sounds like a great reason to get the P2P law repealed. I think a good pro-gun rep could make a convincing case in the legislature that the PD's are denying people their rights to purchase handguns, when clearly a more thorough background check done by the county gun board didn't turn up any issues.

I have created a legislative change to support removal of the LTP/PPP, but not many people are interested in trying to move this forward...

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I have created a legislative change to support removal of the LTP/PPP, but not many people are interested in trying to move this forward...
Maybe if we started hitting them with the racist beginnings of the LTP/PPP law, that might get some attention. More to the point, does anyone know, have any crimes been solved via the handgun registration, OTHER than finding stolen guns?

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Maybe if we started hitting them with the racist beginnings of the LTP/PPP law, that might get some attention. More to the point, does anyone know, have any crimes been solved via the handgun registration, OTHER than finding stolen guns?

If it was solving crimes, then I would imagine it would be touted far and wide.

kryptonian

what incident was possibly on his record to give them cause to deny??? had to be something. nothing on his record would be impossible for them to defend in court. nothing against your friend but i'm the only one i read that wonders what he could have lurking in his past.