• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iris Scanners for police depts......

Jay Gatz

Some experts fret police may be randomly scanning the population, using potentially intrusive techniques to search for criminals, sex offenders, and illegal aliens, but the manufacturer says that would be a difficult task for officers to carry out.

Sean Mullin, BI2's CEO, says it is difficult, if not impossible, to covertly photograph someone and obtain a clear, usable image without that person knowing about it, because the MORIS should be used close up.

"It requires a level of cooperation that makes it very overt -- a person knows that you're taking a picture for this purpose," Mullin said.

Its funny how the CEO comments on covertly photographing, but thats not really the scenario I see happening.

I see a cop going up to someone photographing them quickly and scanning without the person having any ability to refuse the officer. While it would be possible to claim a 4th amendment violation as we know from OC issues its hard to really hold the cops that abuse it accountable.

tim12232

Im really not an anti tech person, I love the internets and my led 3d tv, my ps3 and xbox360, I even love lamp....lol "had to say it"

But you really can see how technology "could" almost destroy us or life in general. Now Im not some old fart "and no offense to the elderly and more mature generation" I am 26 and I just feel like we have literally forgot what its all about, slow down, take some time and just look around and breathe it in, we have accomplished so much everything is so convenient already and Im not sure how much more convenience we really need.

just my nickel minus .03 for tax !

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Im really not an anti tech person, I love the internets and my led 3d tv, my ps3 and xbox360, I even love lamp....lol "had to say it"

But you really can see how technology "could" almost destroy us or life in general. Now Im not some old fart "and no offense to the elderly and more mature generation" I am 26 and I just feel like we have literally forgot what its all about, slow down, take some time and just look around and breathe it in, we have accomplished so much everything is so convenient already and Im not sure how much more convenience we really need.

just my nickel minus .03 for tax !

Well, in this case, its more a matter of "what its all about" for police (government) and its suppliers.

The Surveillance State comes closer every day.

riverrat10k

Time to give up my eyeglasses and get me some of them new anti-scanner contact lenses!

Wanna bet if iris scans become the norm for ID, some bright kid will come up with such a product?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Some bright fellow, perhaps on this forum, recently wrote suggesting to look for the opportunities in these technologies. Great suggestion!

I want iris scans of all police. Any time a cop approaches me, I just grab my handy Iphone scanner and take a picture to verify he really is a badged, costumed, tax-feeding, enforcer.

Got a warrant, Copper? Lemme see the iris scan info on the affadavit from your imaginary confidential informant.

By the way, this should put an end to Nixon's so-called War on Drugs. No more under-cover cops.

Iris scans for Congress, too. Roll call vote? Nope. Step up to the scanner, Mr. Congressman. Heh, heh. Did you actually read the bill Mr. Senator? The pupil monitor on your desktop didn't record you reading it. Pop quiz before the vote. Better hurry.

Hmmm. Lets see. GPS on all cars driven by any government employee with live tracking. Its 10 pm. Do you know where your Senator is? Imagine a conversation: "That's curious, Mr. Congressman. Why does your GPS tracking data show you making repeated visits to that parking garage near that prostitute corner? No, the female prostitute corner is several blocks away. This is the gay prostitute corner right here by the parking garage."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Time to give up my eyeglasses and get me some of them new anti-scanner contact lenses!

Wanna bet if iris scans become the norm for ID, some bright kid will come up with such a product?

Wanta bet some Pakistani or Russian optomestrist already has?

since9

Campaign Veteran
It's use should require the same hurdles to be hurdled as do any other forms of FORCED identification (taking someone's fingerprints without their express and fully informed consent, for example).

Last edited: