• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dumb people in our neighborhood

tim12232

Please feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum if needed.

Tonight around 11:30 I get back from taking my dog out for his business and am getting ready to hit the bed. I walked over to my blinds to close shop, when as I am pulling them I see some kid "13-17" walking towards my front yard with some "equipment" in his hands, I shut off my lights to get a better look and see he is holding some shorter barrel rifle of some type, he is by my front bushes and I could honestly not tell what type of gun it was outside of :shocker: ITS A GUN!!!! I grab my belt, holster already on it and slip my Danny Wesson cbob into it, and grab my torch, and double back going out threw the back and around the other side. As I get to the side he was on I hear other kids yelling and hear the sound of paintball guns blazing away, thup thup thup thup thup thup. Needless to say I wasnt about to go chasing some stupid teens with a .45 in my hand, so I called non emergency Charlotte PD and and they say they are already on their way due to 5-6 other calls. TEN minutes later I see 5-0 driving by and I told them where I had last seen the group. I was surprised that it took as long as it did knowing that many people called in and I doubt everyone knew it was a paintball gun, I sure didnt know until I was outside.

What would you all do in a situation like that? Stop the kid with gun drawn or just realize what it was and let LEO do what they do?

I dont wanna start something with a local neighbor by drawing on a kid, but at the same time, you get someone thats paranoid and jumpy, that kid could end up in a bad situation for just not thinking. Ive done stupid stuff growing up, but it NEVER involved running around with guns at night "paint or cap".
My heart was racing and I am really really thankful it all went the way it did, I knew what I was doing but damn, you just always hope and pray you dont have to be in that situation, just make sure you are ALWAYS PREPARED.

Tim

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP What would you all do in a situation like that? Stop the kid with gun drawn or just realize what it was and let LEO do what they do?

You know the situation in your neighborhood better than anybody here, so I can't criticize you.

For myself, I guess it would depend on several things.

Did I recognize the kid? Have I seen him before with paintball equipment? Is it a "nice" neighborhood? A little bit rough neighborhood? Etc. If it happened in my neighborhood, I'd be more cautious. If it happened in my mom's neighborhood, I'd regret not being able to grab my paint-ball gear and go out as a lone assassin to inject some unpredictability into the game. :) (Meaning, it would be so likely to be air-soft or paintball, that the assumption is almost totally guaranteed to be correct in mom's neighborhood.)

We want to be a little careful that we don't scare ourselves into assuming the worst in all cases from a steady diet of self-defense and crime stories.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Well since you knew what is was, it was good that you did not draw. I think you handled it well. As for the police response time I am not surprised. A wise man once said when seconds count between living and dying the police are only minutes away. Of course, your life wasn't in danger but the premise still applies. Now it wouldn't hurt to OC in your front yard when the kids are outside playing during the day, might have a deterrent effect.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Any "evidence" of the battle that some elbow grease on their part could persuade them to choose a different location for the "games"?

And to avoid a possible "destruction of property" type charge!

Last edited:

tim12232

The neighborhood as nice as it may look in the last month has had 8 larcenies, 5 burglaries, and 6 calls for assault "usually domestic disturbance".
Gotta love Charlotte!

Badger Johnson

How about getting it on video? I have my camera ready to go on the table by the front door. Good you remained reasonably calm.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Going out into a situation where you believe there are armed persons about and possibly up to no good, without needing to in order to protect self/family/innocent others from actual imminent harm is not a Good Idea(TM). Far better to fort up and be on the phone with 9-1-1 while covering the mostb likely point of entry in case there is a need to repel boarders.

Having gotten that out of my system, I will add that if I had gone outside I probably would have, as soon as figured out it was a paintball frenzy, lit up the kid with my man-portable landing light and started calling for all his buds to come and splatter him.

Which is another reasaon why I am not a proponent of lights mounted on the ends of weapons. This was not a situation where you wanted to have had your SD firearm drawn, let alone pointed at anybody. And had it been, you just showed everybody else that might be involved where to shoot at. Having the ability to offset the place where the light comes from is a Good Thing(TM).

stay safe.

HKcarrier

I'm wondering why you went out to "check it out"... putting yourself into possible danger... not to mention, if it WAS a crook or something, and you did plug him, you would have a harder time explaining why you were outside, etc....

tim12232

I get where alot are coming from, in hindsight I should have stayed in, Im just not a big fan of people poking around my house after midnight or before for that matter. Its my property and there is no reason to by on it. I guess im more of a proactive person than a reactive person, not that I would ever say I "go looking for trouble" I just prefer to stop it before it starts.

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback!

paramedic70002

Please feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum if needed.

Tonight around 11:30 I get back from taking my dog out for his business and am getting ready to hit the bed. I walked over to my blinds to close shop, when as I am pulling them I see some kid "13-17" walking towards my front yard with some "equipment" in his hands, I shut off my lights to get a better look and see he is holding some shorter barrel rifle of some type, he is by my front bushes and I could honestly not tell what type of gun it was outside of :shocker: ITS A GUN!!!! I grab my belt, holster already on it and slip my Danny Wesson cbob into it, and grab my torch, and double back going out threw the back and around the other side. As I get to the side he was on I hear other kids yelling and hear the sound of paintball guns blazing away, thup thup thup thup thup thup. Needless to say I wasnt about to go chasing some stupid teens with a .45 in my hand, so I called non emergency Charlotte PD and and they say they are already on their way due to 5-6 other calls. TEN minutes later I see 5-0 driving by and I told them where I had last seen the group. I was surprised that it took as long as it did knowing that many people called in and I doubt everyone knew it was a paintball gun, I sure didnt know until I was outside.

What would you all do in a situation like that? Stop the kid with gun drawn or just realize what it was and let LEO do what they do?

I dont wanna start something with a local neighbor by drawing on a kid, but at the same time, you get someone thats paranoid and jumpy, that kid could end up in a bad situation for just not thinking. Ive done stupid stuff growing up, but it NEVER involved running around with guns at night "paint or cap".
My heart was racing and I am really really thankful it all went the way it did, I knew what I was doing but damn, you just always hope and pray you dont have to be in that situation, just make sure you are ALWAYS PREPARED.

Tim

I bolded the part of your story where things starting going wrong.

DocWalker

Having the ability to offset the place where the light comes from is a Good Thing(TM).

stay safe.

That is why I have my buddy hold the light from about 6 feet away....you could say he is the bait....just kidding but that is the reason I don't have battery powered illumination on my weapons also. I have put a large diamond (ok fake diamond) in the front sight of a couple of my pistols. When you draw and acquire your target the diamond catch’s you eye and you focus on it; since you want to focus on the front sight for an accurate shot this helps. It also draws in any light even in the darkest of halls or outdoors. The jewelry store next to my wife’s bakery does them for people, I love Idaho were even the jewelry stores are gun friendly. By the way both the bakery and jewelry store give a discount for people that are carrying.

2a4all

I get where alot are coming from, in hindsight I should have stayed in, Im just not a big fan of people poking around my house after midnight or before for that matter. Its my property and there is no reason to by on it. I guess im more of a proactive person than a reactive person, not that I would ever say I "go looking for trouble" I just prefer to stop it before it starts.

I have to agree with those who say you should have stayed inside. Consider these situations:
1) The person you spot outside isn't alone, and they have real firearms. If you go out and confront the one you see, you might find yourself caught in a crossfire.
2) The cops are already on the way, responding to another neighbor's MWAG (or prowler) call, and find you. At that point, you'll be the only one who knows that you're not the guy they're looking for. There was an extensive thread on this very situation recently.

Stay inside, arm yourself, call 9-1-1 and keep dispatch posted. If you have a neighborhood watch organized, alert your neighbors.

HKcarrier

I don't fault your intentions.. I"m sure you weren't "looking for trouble" but I think you put yourslef into a position you may not want to be... as others mentioned.. multiple perps... responding cops who don't know who you are.. etc...etc...

hogeaterf6

I'da gone outside and checked it out also. But from there I'm not sure. Hate to say one thing and me do another. I live in the country so I dont have that problem.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I have to agree with those who say you should have stayed inside. Consider these situations:
1) The person you spot outside isn't alone, and they have real firearms. If you go out and confront the one you see, you might find yourself caught in a crossfire.
2) The cops are already on the way, responding to another neighbor's MWAG (or prowler) call, and find you. At that point, you'll be the only one who knows that you're not the guy they're looking for. There was an extensive thread on this very situation recently.

Stay inside, arm yourself, call 9-1-1 and keep dispatch posted. If you have a neighborhood watch organized, alert your neighbors.

QFT

Stop the kid with gun drawn or just realize what it was and let LEO do what they do?
Well, kind of hard to tell here. Use discretion. Did you know at this point they were just playing? Was he aiming at you?

What do you think a frozen paintball at 500fps to your temple will do to you? That's lethal force if you ask me.

frommycolddeadhands

To the OP:

I think you handled it just fine.

Like other said, it's your neighborhood, so you know better than anyone when it's time to go to red alert, and when it's just a group of kids playing. When I was a kid me and friends used to play giant games of 'manhunt' through just about everyone's back-yard. Of course we didn't carry paintball guns, but prowling around in camoflage and hiding in bushes or leaping over fences in an overglofied game of tag probably rattled a few peoples cages.

In my defense I was 11 and stupid, so don't judge me too harshly.

As for how to deal with the kids, usually I would advise turning the garden hose on 'em, but if they're armed with paintball guns you might find yourself under multi-colored fire.

Maybe a Grand Tornio "GET OFF MY LAWN" moment would suffice. :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
To the OP:

Maybe a Grand Tornio "GET OFF MY LAWN" moment would suffice. :)

I hope you are suggesting just the words. Actually bringing the firearm up to bear on them is clearly the unlawful use of deadly force.

And Walt was just as wrong going outside to confront them as we are suggesting the OP was. (Yeah, without the scene there's no movie. But that's the point - it's just a movie.)

There's an uptick in the I-wannabe-a-hero/cop/the Lone Ranger on the boards again. While nobody is suggesting we all cower in our basements in abject fear, it's important to remember where the line between self-defense and aggressive acts is located. We want to be securely on the self-defense side at all times.

stay safe.