• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dixie Gun Show - Raleigh

dmatting

The Dixie Gun show in Raleigh is coming up and we are planning on attending. We've never been to a gun show before and would appreciate some clarification on how things operate. I have my NC CHP, so there should be no need for background checks for pistols. How about rifles? If I buy 2 or more guns at a single vendor, I've heard that they need to report that to the ATF - is that true? How about if I buy a single gun from a variety of vendors?

Thanks

M

mattwestm

The Dixie Gun show in Raleigh is coming up and we are planning on attending. We've never been to a gun show before and would appreciate some clarification on how things operate. I have my NC CHP, so there should be no need for background checks for pistols. How about rifles? If I buy 2 or more guns at a single vendor, I've heard that they need to report that to the ATF - is that true? How about if I buy a single gun from a variety of vendors?

Thanks

When you buy either a pistol or rifle with your CHP, they don't perform any sort of background check. You just pay, fill out the form, and walk away with your new gun. I think the reporting to the ATF thing is a new law and only in states that border Mexico. It's a response to the gun runner operation.

spiderjohn

Thanks

I went to the one in Fletcher last weekend. I'm in the market to purchase my first handgun so I was excited. However, the prices I saw there were higher than I could get online even with FFL fees. Most places like Bud's will ship free so it wasn't worth it to me. Plus no one had an XD .45 compact. :(

CharlieOneFourDelta

The last dozen or so gun shows I've been to the guns were outrageously priced. Time once was when you could go to a gun show and get a good bargain. I'm not going to pay admission and drive an hour to a gunshow to pay retail for a gun. i can go to my local gunshop and pay retail.

Hope you vendors are watching. All the money grubbers have ruined the local gunshows. Most of the time I can pay shipping, pay a FFL xfer fee, and still get it cheaper online than from the scalpers at the Raleigh Gun Shows.

Last edited:

62 Caddy

The last dozen or so gun shows I've been to the guns were outrageously priced. Time once was when you could go to a gun show and get a good bargain. I'm not going to pay admission and drive an hour to a gunshow to pay retail for a gun. i can go to my local gunshop and pay retail.

Hope you vendors are watching. All the money grubbers have ruined the local gunshows. Most of the time I can pay shipping, pay a FFL xfer fee, and still get it cheaper online than from the scalpers at the Raleigh Gun Shows.

Totally agree. To pay $8 ($7 if you have a coupon from online) only to pay full retail or more is ridiculous. +1

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Totally agree. To pay $8 ($7 if you have a coupon from online) only to pay full retail or more is ridiculous. +1

I agree about the prices. One benefit of a gun show that might be worth the money, if you think about, it is the selection. Any gun show I have been to has a much larger selection of guns than any gun store I have been to. Even if you are not planning on buying you can get your hands on a lot of potential future purchases in one day. This is usually what I do. Find the guns I am interested in and handle them. If I like them, I go home and get them on Gunbroker.

CDT COX

I agree about the prices. One benefit of a gun show that might be worth the money, if you think about, it is the selection. Any gun show I have been to has a much larger selection of guns than any gun store I have been to. Even if you are not planning on buying you can get your hands on a lot of potential future purchases in one day. This is usually what I do. Find the guns I am interested in and handle them. If I like them, I go home and get them on Gunbroker.

+1

dmatting

If I do end up going, this will likely be my approach.

These days, though, I can pull up prices on the web while standing in front of the dealer. The days of not knowing whether they have a good deal or not are long gone.