• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio CWL holder has life threatened by Canton, OH PD officer

Big River Leather

Wow.

Now I can certainly understand how this officer can get worked up. However, though it is more likely because I was looking for it, I distinctly heard the driver begin to offer up his permit, more than once, as soon as he was approached. I would think the officers ears would be tuned to the words "concealed carry". I heard it. He was even offering it up to him. I can't believe the officer gets him out of the car and he doesn't wonder about the thing being waived in front of him while the driver is using the words "concealed carry".

Granted, it may have been smart to say something to the officer when he entered the car, but he was not being addressed.

As soon as he was addressed, he did what he was supposed to do. Throughout the rest of the ordeal, I think he did a very good job of remaining respectful, especially considering how he was being treated.

At 13:45 I believe is when the officer made some very, very poor choices. Threatening all three of the people earlier was bad enough, but talking about executing a citizen may not look good come review time.

I don't predict a very good ending for this particular police department.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
WTF! GREAT POLICE WORK AND AMAZING PROFESSIONAL COURTESY!!

"I tell you what I should done. As soon as saw your gun a shoulda taken two steps back, pulled my glock 40, and just put 10 bullets in your ass and let you drop"

http://ohioccw.org/201107214955/cantonpd.html

Canton, OH ... another great place not to visit. I hope the forum can stay on top of this incident and determine what happens, if anything, to the officer.

Pyro01

I can understand why this officer would be mad, I can understand how the officer was not really given a chance to be informed because he was so mad, I can see the officer detaining the guy because the guy was slow to concisely say that he had a CWL while the officer was mad, but in the end the guy did what he was supposed to do, and what did he get? He gets a detailed description from a police officer on how he was almost executed, more than once.

Not everyone out there can just come out and say they have a CWL while an officer is shouting at them, and this video clearly shows this officer needing a psychiatric evaluation. What makes him think no one else is going to hear the stuff he's saying when it's being recorded to video? I think this cop is probably among the worst out there and I hope I never run into a guy like him.

M

McX

this event alarms me, coming soon to a street here in Wisconsin?

CCW412

Canton PD Chief's facebook response

Dash Cam Video
by Canton Police Department (Ohio) on Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 6:57am

I want to assure our citizens that the behavior, as demonstrated in this video, is wholly unacceptable and in complete contradiction to the professional standards we demand of our officers. As such, appropriate steps were placed in motion as dictated by our standards, policies and contractual obligations. Those steps included: The officer immediately being relieved of all duty. The incident has been referred to the Internal Affairs Bureau for what will be a complete and thorough investigation. As bad as the video indicates our officer's actions were, there is a due process procedure to follow. That process is designed in the best interest of both our employees and the citizens at large. That process will be followed in this case as in all others. Anyone shown to be in violation of our rules and regulations will be help appropriately responsible as dictated by all the facts. ~Chief Dean McKimm

http://www.facebook.com/notes/canton-police-department-ohio/dash-cam-video/207621069290829

DocWalker

WOW, anything less than the firing of this officer. A public appology from the police cheif and, mayor would make me immediatly lawyer up and start the muli-million dollar lawsuit against the officer, police department, and city. This is they kind of thing that needs a lot of publicity so PD knows they can't treat people like that and so the people know they have rights to include the 2nd. He should not have a job that involves authority or a gun.

TyGuy

That link to the FB group doesn't work. Did the Canton PD really put that statement out?

CCW412

TyGuy-That link to the FB group doesn't work. Did the Canton PD really put that statement out?

I copied and pasted directly from their Facebook page, when you go to their web page it has a link to their Facebook page and it doesn't work either. People have been slamming them all day with comments so they must have shut it down or something!

Here is an updated article http://www.cantonrep.com/carousel/x121489646/Canton-officer-under-investigation-after-concealed-carry-arrest?photo=0

Looks like paid administrative leave pending an investigation.

Surprise surprise!!! Cantons internal affairs has investigated 16 complaints against him dating back to 2000.

Last edited:

TyGuy

It is legit. The official page was down for a few hours. Thanks for the info.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
This Is Why We MUST Have Video/Audio Recorders ON AT ALL TIMES!

cops probably thought they got away with until they realized their mics and dash camera was running, almost the perfect crime..............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt0q6uflFMU

The ONE time you may need it most won't help you if you don't have a recorder with you and RECORDING. A small investment in a good recorder can keep you out of prison. It's better to have a recording of the "event" than fight it out in court or...worse...attend a funeral...yours.

protias

Dash Cam Video
by Canton Police Department (Ohio) on Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 6:57am

I want to assure our citizens that the behavior, as demonstrated in this video, is wholly unacceptable and in complete contradiction to the professional standards we demand of our officers. As such, appropriate steps were placed in motion as dictated by our standards, policies and contractual obligations. Those steps included: The officer immediately being relieved of all duty. The incident has been referred to the Internal Affairs Bureau for what will be a complete and thorough investigation. As bad as the video indicates our officer's actions were, there is a due process procedure to follow. That process is designed in the best interest of both our employees and the citizens at large. That process will be followed in this case as in all others. Anyone shown to be in violation of our rules and regulations will be help appropriately responsible as dictated by all the facts. ~Chief Dean McKimm

http://www.facebook.com/notes/canton-police-department-ohio/dash-cam-video/207621069290829

He was suspended the last I read (paid or unpaid, I do not know).

WOW, anything less than the firing of this officer. A public appology from the police cheif and, mayor would make me immediatly lawyer up and start the muli-million dollar lawsuit against the officer, police department, and city. This is they kind of thing that needs a lot of publicity so PD knows they can't treat people like that and so the people know they have rights to include the 2nd. He should not have a job that involves authority or a gun.

He needs to spend some time in prison for making such threats.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
He was suspended the last I read (paid or unpaid, I do not know).

He needs to spend some time in prison for making such threats.

yup. PAID suspension ...so he get's to take a long paid Vacation at tax payers expense ( go figure), cops cover for each other even IAD so regarless of how many of these he has had in the past...He won't lose his job...Police can basically do anything they want, because the police belong to the biggest, most powerful gang in the USA...of course these rogue gang bangers are govt sanctioned & are above the law..

No if you or I would have been caught on Video acting this way to another citizen..we would have been put in prison already...can we say.... do as we TELL you, not as we do ????

ANYONE disagree ?? PROVE ME WRONG !

Last edited:

the_hustleman

yup. PAID suspension ...so he get's to take a long paid Vacation at tax payers expense ( go figure), cops cover for each other even IAD so regarless of how many of these he has had in the past...He won't lose his job...Police can basically do anything they want, because the police belong to the biggest, most powerful gang in the USA...of course these rogue gang bangers are govt sanctioned & are above the law..

No if you or I would have been caught on Video acting this way to another citizen..we would have been put in prison already...can we say.... do as we TELL you, not as we do ????

ANYONE disagree ?? PROVE ME WRONG !
The truth cannot be proven wrong

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

IcrewUH60

I think the pr1ck will be in jail soon enough where he will definitely get his. In my opinion, and with a broad brush, I will paint him as one of those guys who has spent *years* at taxpayer expense "earning it".

On the flip side, he is allowed due process, and is innocent until proven guilty in court. With that said, I do think that he will be charged crimanally and due process will eventually be served. Professionally, I think his "boss" has enough "evidence" to le this POS go without pay immediately... anyone (read: The Police Chief) who thinks otherwise is just working the system to protect the brotherhood.

But alas, he is probably Union and therefore safe from "real" administrative discipline. Think about that for a little bit and then you will understand why this continues to happen in America.

And then if you really want think about this, it's all over this pr1ck's perception (I just can't call him an officer, sorry) of alleged prostitution. An act committed between two consenting "free" adults.