• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio - Cops Behaving Badly

kwiebe

Even though this isn't OC I think we're all interested in a story like this. Evidently Ohio has a "notification law" (unlike WA) - anyway, you won't believe how LE reacted as this incident unfolded:

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/07/...oncealed-carry-driver-with-execution-beating/

This forum has a thread started by an attorney who is representing the CCW holder:

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53994

And finally there is even a Facebook page called "Dash Cam Video" the PD put up in response to this:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/canton-police-department-ohio/dash-cam-video/207621069290829

Interesting what goes on in this country.

OrangeIsTrouble

That cop is a disgrace to the uniform that many wear proudly, But it only takes one rotten apple to ruin A whole basket full.

Don't forget the other "officer" that stood there and endorsed that attack. He's just as guilty for not doing anything to stop it. He probably didn't lose any sleep over it though, it's all good.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
hmmm....

Clothes_dont_make_a_man-1.jpg

CheerfulHoplite

... and "they" wonder why some people call cops "pig"??? Holy sweet jesus in a sidecar, but the uniformed freak in the video needs to not only be fired, but spend a good chunk of time in the clink - and I DON'T mean as one of the people who has a key to the door!

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
This reaction does seem way over the top. The threats, completely uncalled for. Some of the statements make me cringe.

amlevin

He was reprimanded in one 2003 case. Harless and another officer were exonerated of using excessive force, but were given a letter of reprimand for not activating the in-car video camera at the scene per department policy.

He probably wishes now that he violated policy again. Another reprimand might be far less punishment than he faces now.

Ah, but then there is the Union.

sirpuma

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Perhaps surprisingly, the Repository reports the police union head — Bill Adams — is not throwing his support, at least publicly, behind Harless:

Obviously whatever transpired on that video is an isolated incident,” Adams said. “It happened and it’s being handled properly right now and the chief is doing what he feels is necessary.”

Adams said calls involving guns can be emotional and dangerous situations, but he wasn’t condoning anything that might have happened on the recording.

“We’re a very well-trained and well-rounded police department that has solid officers that can make good, solid decisions every day,” he said. “You can’t (take) one incident like this and make it like every (officer) is out of control.

Isolated (16 priors) incident?(I have heard this before.)
Call involving GUNS? (Is that why they were pulled over?)
Maybe not ALL officers, but Mr Adams there appears to be a trend in your group. Can this officer pull a "Birk" by quitting the force while under investigation so he can move to a new LEO job. (Why did he leave VA after four years?)

Johnsmith1521

I want to see how tough this guy is WITHOUT the badge... 16 incidents!?!? Really? This is why I will never, ever trust a cop or in this case a pig... I look at cops more like revenue agents... There are good cops out there but this guy just messed it up for the good one and the sad thing is good cops will pay for it... So good job Daniel Harless!!! Hope you're proud of yourself... Damn this video just gets my blood boiling!!!

amzbrady

If this were an isolated instance it would be different. This is a national pandemic. This is happening in every state, in every city. Has our society become so tolerant that we dont care, so afraid we dont act, or so polluted with garbage that we only care if it happens to us. Laws only apply to certian people at certain times?

What happened to America. Didnt we create laws. I think part of the problem is there are not enough Americans left that realize what this country stands for.

I was walking with my family in the park today and two (Im stereotyping), liberal moms were behind us. I overheard.
"You have go to be kidding"
"what"
"Oh, Whats the purpose of that"

Without turning around, or changing pace, I said in a very loud voice "An American doesnt have to ask and already knows the answer"

I hope they were talking about my firearm, and my wife thinks I have a special friend that I bring on our walks to talk to, because she had no idea the ladies were behind us or who I was talking to.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

And this is just one example of why the National LEO CCW law is a total tragically unfair farce.

That officer will likely be allowed to retire rather than be fired... and will likely enjoy the right to carry a concealed pistol in every state for the rest of his life.

Some people are just more equal than others, and apparently it goes to their head.

1* attitude + dash cam = WINNING!

Last edited: