Thread: Open carry at Glacier National Park

Open carry at Glacier National Park

Just got back from an amazing trip to GNP. Gotta tell you folks who live in Montana, you have to most beautiful country I've ever seen, and I'm not just talking about the park. Wow. Anyways, had very positive open carry experiences there. Had to go to a couple small stores while I still had a .357 on the hip and didn't even get a glance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4878.jpg 
Views:	2112 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	6416
    At GNP I hiked with a .44 Redhawk on a chest holster for 3 days and had no problems.

Name:	IMG_4914.jpg 
Views:	986 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	6415
    Spoke with 5 different rangers and none gave a second glance. I have to say I was impressed how friendly and helpful they were. They were very forthcoming with the bear reports in the area, trail suggestions and almost seemed to say without words they were happy I was there with my big 'ol six shooter. Very professional.

If any were concerned about exercising your rights with the new laws at GNP now, I can assure you a positive experience. And you will see some of the most beautiful country in the world. Hope you like the pics. Best- E

Name:	IMG_4927.jpg 
Views:	837 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	6417
    Last edited by El Comanche; 07-21-2011 at 02:23 PM.

pics

sorry for the sideways pics, seems the editor had a mind of it's own. Any ideas how to fix?

Looks like you had a blast. Sounds like you didn't have any issues while carrying. That's always a plus!
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-21-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Small world

I was in Glacier National Park. I left Montana exactly a week ago. I open carried without issues as well.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    With some great satisfaction and pride in our organization, it was VCDL that pushed the change in NPS rules that resulted in all forms of legal handgun carry being acceptable in accordance with individual state laws.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    With some great satisfaction and pride in our organization, it was VCDL that pushed the change in NPS rules that resulted in all forms of legal handgun carry being acceptable in accordance with individual state laws.
    Yes, VCDL is responsible for National Park carry. No one was more surprised that VCDL was behind it than Jim Moran

I also open carried thru GNP. A backcountry ranger made a comment, but didnt press any issues because I also was carrying bear spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Indeed it was and bravo zulu to the Ole Dominion for doing so.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Most excellent, I have been ocing all summer in Shenandoah National Park here in Virginia without any issues, but we only have the black bears here, not the grizzlies like out there, so my .40 would be insufficient for protection out there, and eventually I really want to get to GNP.

Did you also carry bear spray? Did you see any grizzlies? How much did you get into the back country? More pics would be awesome. BTW, is it legal to oc a rifle in GNP?
    Last edited by Jonesy; 09-05-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Did you also carry bear spray? Did you see any grizzlies? How much did you get into the back country? More pics would be awesome. BTW, is it legal to oc a rifle in GNP?
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes, my wife carries the bear spray, I carry the revolver. Nice to have options. 3 days of hiking. We did not see any grizzlies, but how could you with bear bells on 2 people, with clapping or talking/singing around every blind corner or going over every hill? haha. People one minute behind us did. There were reports of 7 sightings in one week on one of the trails, including 2 bluff charges. We weren't taking chances. Rangers warned everyone, yet I saw that most parents with very young children not even carrying spray and letting the kids run ahead. Sometimes I think the word "Park" is detrimental to the mentality of some suburbanites.

National parks have to respect state law now, so if rifles are ok in NF, than yes. Legally that is. I think most would see that as a hunting weapon and it would be looked down upon. I also don't think a rifle on a sling is quick enough for a surprise charge. .44 mag on a chest holster is what makes me comfy . . .

I live about 20 minutes from GNP, but have only been in perhaps 4 times in the last 30 years. I work up in the mountains on the east and west side of the valley and run into a couple dozen bears a year. Been bluff charged a couple of times (by moose as well, more scared of them than the bears). Cats give me the spooks too.

Endangered my ass!

I leave Glacier to the tourists.

Always have the SBH with me. Glad to hear you met with no incident. I'm constantly amazed at the stupidity of folks when wild and dangerous animals are close by. I think that's what has kept me out of the park more than anything. I can't deal with the "Look at the cute bear" mentality.

Thank you for using your head and exercising your right to protect you and yours!

I recommend anyone coming here to head up the North Fork Rd to Polebridge and get some cookies. You'll see even more beautiful country, have some of the best cookies you've ever had and end up at an old abandoned border crossing to Canada. Kinda neat.
    "Never belittle someone for carrying a small firearm. Commend them for carrying a firearm."
    -OpenCarry.org member MAC702

Quote Originally Posted by LeMat View Post
    I recommend anyone coming here to head up the North Fork Rd to Polebridge and get some cookies. You'll see even more beautiful country, have some of the best cookies you've ever had and end up at an old abandoned border crossing to Canada. Kinda neat.
    Thanks LeMat! I'll check it out next time I'm in the area for sure-

I visited GNP before deciding to move here. Haven't been back since. It's all beautiful, and there is no reason to drive 100s of miles when I can enjoy it all from my doorstep.