• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at Glacier National Park

El Comanche

Just got back from an amazing trip to GNP. Gotta tell you folks who live in Montana, you have to most beautiful country I've ever seen, and I'm not just talking about the park. Wow. Anyways, had very positive open carry experiences there. Had to go to a couple small stores while I still had a .357 on the hip and didn't even get a glance:D.
IMG_4878.jpg
At GNP I hiked with a .44 Redhawk on a chest holster for 3 days and had no problems.
IMG_4914.jpg
Spoke with 5 different rangers and none gave a second glance. I have to say I was impressed how friendly and helpful they were. They were very forthcoming with the bear reports in the area, trail suggestions and almost seemed to say without words they were happy I was there with my big 'ol six shooter. Very professional.

If any were concerned about exercising your rights with the new laws at GNP now, I can assure you a positive experience. And you will see some of the most beautiful country in the world. Hope you like the pics. Best- E
IMG_4927.jpg

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Looks like you had a blast. Sounds like you didn't have any issues while carrying. That's always a plus!

Last edited:

Jared

Small world

I was in Glacier National Park. I left Montana exactly a week ago. I open carried without issues as well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
With some great satisfaction and pride in our organization, it was VCDL that pushed the change in NPS rules that resulted in all forms of legal handgun carry being acceptable in accordance with individual state laws.

Jared

With some great satisfaction and pride in our organization, it was VCDL that pushed the change in NPS rules that resulted in all forms of legal handgun carry being acceptable in accordance with individual state laws.

Yes, VCDL is responsible for National Park carry. No one was more surprised that VCDL was behind it than Jim Moran :)

Jonesy

Most excellent, I have been ocing all summer in Shenandoah National Park here in Virginia without any issues, but we only have the black bears here, not the grizzlies like out there, so my .40 would be insufficient for protection out there, and eventually I really want to get to GNP.

Did you also carry bear spray? Did you see any grizzlies? How much did you get into the back country? More pics would be awesome. BTW, is it legal to oc a rifle in GNP?

Last edited:

El Comanche

Did you also carry bear spray? Did you see any grizzlies? How much did you get into the back country? More pics would be awesome. BTW, is it legal to oc a rifle in GNP?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, my wife carries the bear spray, I carry the revolver. Nice to have options. 3 days of hiking. We did not see any grizzlies, but how could you with bear bells on 2 people, with clapping or talking/singing around every blind corner or going over every hill? haha. People one minute behind us did. There were reports of 7 sightings in one week on one of the trails, including 2 bluff charges. We weren't taking chances. Rangers warned everyone, yet I saw that most parents with very young children not even carrying spray and letting the kids run ahead. Sometimes I think the word "Park" is detrimental to the mentality of some suburbanites.

National parks have to respect state law now, so if rifles are ok in NF, than yes. Legally that is. I think most would see that as a hunting weapon and it would be looked down upon. I also don't think a rifle on a sling is quick enough for a surprise charge. .44 mag on a chest holster is what makes me comfy . . .

LeMat

I live about 20 minutes from GNP, but have only been in perhaps 4 times in the last 30 years. I work up in the mountains on the east and west side of the valley and run into a couple dozen bears a year. Been bluff charged a couple of times (by moose as well, more scared of them than the bears). Cats give me the spooks too.

Endangered my ass!

I leave Glacier to the tourists. ;)

Always have the SBH with me. Glad to hear you met with no incident. I'm constantly amazed at the stupidity of folks when wild and dangerous animals are close by. I think that's what has kept me out of the park more than anything. I can't deal with the "Look at the cute bear" mentality.

Thank you for using your head and exercising your right to protect you and yours!

I recommend anyone coming here to head up the North Fork Rd to Polebridge and get some cookies. You'll see even more beautiful country, have some of the best cookies you've ever had and end up at an old abandoned border crossing to Canada. Kinda neat.

El Comanche

I recommend anyone coming here to head up the North Fork Rd to Polebridge and get some cookies. You'll see even more beautiful country, have some of the best cookies you've ever had and end up at an old abandoned border crossing to Canada. Kinda neat.

Thanks LeMat! I'll check it out next time I'm in the area for sure-

MontanaResident

I visited GNP before deciding to move here. Haven't been back since. It's all beautiful, and there is no reason to drive 100s of miles when I can enjoy it all from my doorstep. :)