• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LOE treatment of a CCW holder - OHIO

ChiangShih

Just saw this on youtube before i jumped on the forum. Seems to be making its rounds pretty quick. I love how the officer didn't start talking **** and making threats until the guy was handcuffed.

MK

What an incredibly disturbing video. Anger doesn't describe my feeling adequately right now immediately after viewing it.

And I thought the Brett Darrow incident was bad, this one really takes the cake. Where do they find these maniac rogues anyways and why on earth would they allow these people to roam amongst the public with any kind of authority?

I would venture to guess that this officer has illegally assaulted people before. His threats of putting lumps on the woman should he see her out again, his threat to cave the cuffed man's head in, his threat to put a gun to the guy's head and also him informing the guy that he should have put 10 rounds into him and executed him in front of other witnesses helps to lead me to this conclusion. Bully, would be a mild way to describe him working within his position of power.

It wouldn't suprise me if this man remains on the force, his actions and speech defended because we've seen this sort of thing over and over again. Anger management isn't what he needs. He needs to have his badge, gun and immunity removed from him ASAP. No wonder police get such a bad rap around the country when they have the likes of this guy partnering with them.

Very disturbing indeed.

Last edited:

DocWalker

What an incredibly disturbing video. Anger doesn't describe my feeling adequately right now immediately after viewing it.

and I thought the Brent Darrow incident was bad, this one really takes the cake. Where do they find these maniac rogues anyways and why on earth would they allow these people to roam amongst the public with any kind of authority?

I would venture to guess that this officer has illegally assaulted people before. His threats of putting lumps on the woman should he see her out again, his threat to cave the cuffed man's head in, his threat to put a gun to the guy's head and also him informing the guy that he should have put 10 rounds into him and executed him in front of other witnesses help to lead me to this conclusion. Bully, would be a mild way to describe him working within his position of power.

It wouldn't suprise me if this man remains on the force, his actions and speech defended because we've seen this sort of thing over and over again. Anger management isn't what he needs. He needs to have his badge, gun and immunity removed from him ASAP. No wonder police get such a bad rap around the country when they have the likes of this guy partnering with them.

Very disturbing indeed.

+10000000000000000000000000000000

Tony4310

That officer should be charged with multiple threats and put in jail. If any citizen would have done what he did. You bet your ass we'd have multiple charges!

DocWalker

That officer should be charged with multiple threats and put in jail. If any citizen would have done what he did. You bet your ass we'd have multiple charges!

Actually one could argue that the officer assaulted him my pushing him into the car. He could also argue false imprisonment / kidnaping by being detained and handcuffed for no reason. He could argue that multiple civil rights were violated from 1st (told to shut up), 2nd (gun removed without permission), 4th (car searched with no reasonable cause) and more. This officer needs fired, prosecuted, and needs to spend some time in jail. This plus a public appology by the Mayor, Police Chief and an education requirment for the entire police force might keep me from suing....(might)

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
LOL

UPDATE 7/22/2011: Canton Police announced Thursday that the officer was relieved of all duties in June following an internal investigation complaint filed in this matter. The local Canton Repository has done some additional investigatory work into the officers and an excellent analysis of the video / audio we posted. The video and story has gone both viral and national crossing over to websites not typically affiliated with the pro-gun movement. Shortly after 7:00pm Thursday our website could no longer handle the volume of visitors we were receiving. We promptly quadrupled the resources behind OhioCCW.org in light of the popularity of this story.

bmmd321

And I thought the Brett Darrow incident was bad, this one really takes the cake. Where do they find these maniac rogues anyways and why on earth would they allow these people to roam amongst the public with any kind of authority?

I would venture to guess that this officer has illegally assaulted people before. His threats of putting lumps on the woman should he see her out again, his threat to cave the cuffed man's head in, his threat to put a gun to the guy's head and also him informing the guy that he should have put 10 rounds into him and executed him in front of other witnesses helps to lead me to this conclusion. Bully, would be a mild way to describe him working within his position of power.

Very disturbing indeed.

I agree this man should no longer be a police officer. Upsetting video

afcarry

"Open up this door." 6:03 Door opens. Un-f**k it." (that was kinda funny)

"What are you doing?"

"I've got a carry..." (GOOD, NOW KEEP GOING)

"If you give me an answer other than the truth your coming out of there."

"Well before we get...Before I get I've never had to do this yet. 'I'm over here I was looking at reliable..." (NOO! FINISH WHAT YOU WERE SAYING BEFORE!!!)

"I want your, your driver's license."

"Reliable Street Sweeping. I was working for Sky Sweeping I got laid off, I don't know these other guy's number so I came over trying to find their truck. I know her from when I drove for..."

"Your Lying"

"No sir, I know her from when I drove for A Taxi, James Keller."

"Your lying right now."

Later, at 6:57 ......... "I have a concealed carry." (FINALLY)

(BLAH BLAH, SCREAMING, THREATS, GASHES AND PROSTITUTES)

I don't understand why he stopped trying to say two words. "Concealed Carry" Done. On the tape, indisputable. Now, however, we know that he started to say something, but never really finished, so the cops are correct in saying that he never declared. Drastic mistake, but he didn't. The police officer overreacted 100%, I'm not condoning his actions in any way, shape or form, especially since he searched, threatened, slandered, etc. But, the driver didn't declare. Furthermore, he didn't shut up! He continues to talk, swear to God, and otherwise converse with the officer. He insists that he is telling the truth. SHUT UP AND WAIT FOR A GREAT LAWYER! Don't say another word. Maybe they didn't Miranda you, but your rights exist before they tell them to you. Keep your mouth shut. This seems like another unfortunate instance where the cops did the wrong thing, but at the same time, the CCW holder didn't exactly exercise all of his rights either, so that aggravated the situation, leading to a gross violation of everyone's rights. Again, not condoning the officer's actions. That was a completely irresponsible overreaction and he should show more restraint and professionalism. Hell get a medal though.

REALteach4u

Actually one could argue that the officer assaulted him my pushing him into the car. He could also argue false imprisonment / kidnaping by being detained and handcuffed for no reason. He could argue that multiple civil rights were violated from 1st (told to shut up), 2nd (gun removed without permission), 4th (car searched with no reasonable cause) and more. This officer needs fired, prosecuted, and needs to spend some time in jail. This plus a public appology by the Mayor, Police Chief and an education requirment for the entire police force might keep me from suing....(might)

No argument needed. As soon as the LEOs violated Grant v. Arizona by searching the rear of the vehicle without the driver's consent (didn't even ask) the placing of hands upon a citizen attempting to disclose under the law IS assault. Given that there's clear evidence in the video that this pair has likely covered up wrong doing previously they should both be charged to the fullest extent of the law at the State level. No IA garbage, an outside authority needs to take this into criminal court. There were several laws broken, send them both up the river without a paddle.

If we're going to hold one or two accountable as criminals then we need to apply that standard Nation-wide to them all. The problem always becomes to what extent. Some administrators will stretch it farther than it needs to be, accountability as criminals, and force the tying of LEO hands (use the Border Patrol as an example) then when something actually happens because the administration said they can't do their jobs it's WE that get blamed citing that if WE hadn't tied their hands it would have been prevented.

Last edited:

MKEgal

The more I see & hear of things like this, the more I want the "don't talk to cops" videos (both the series from www.flexyourrights.org and the lawyer/cop duo on YouTube) to be part of all HS civics classes AND all cc permit classes.

Even though they'd told him to shut up, he should have said something like:
"I have a concealed carry permit & I am carrying.
I do not consent to any searches or seizures.
I want a lawyer present before I answer questions."

Last nonconsensual [?sp] interaction I had w/ police, once they broke into my my home & had me handcuffed I pretty much shut up. Before that, I'd been offering to talk with them & telling them in no uncertain terms they were NOT to come in my home. (No, I didn't do anything wrong, & yes, there's a federal suit in progress because they did.)

REALteach4u

I'm still curious why the LEOs started working the rear passenger and the exited passenger rather than going straight to the person in control of the vehicle. From my background, it seems that the person with the ability to use the vehicle as a weapon or means of escape should be addressed first and foremost, but then again I wasn't there and cannot comment on what those LEOs were thinking at the moment.

There's just so much that is wrong on both sides of this video and everyone should expect that a "genuine fear" will be illustrated by the CCW holder's testimony, especially having had a permit for such a short time.

Why oh why can't training academies and departments implement training on how to deal with LAC carry. It's such a simple concept. LAC is carrying, discloses that he/she is carrying AND has permit to do so or is legal under some other law, thank that individual for the disclosure and inform them to not make any attempts to reach for said firearm, deal with the reason for the contact. They're already alerted to the presence of a firearm, so their awareness is heightened which puts the disclosing party at a disadvantage, though that's not always true.

Some LEOs seem to forget that if the "police" were the only ones allowed to possess and carry firearms that we'd still be under British rule.