• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Stop by Phila police outside target parking lot, northeast philly.

Matt J Chybinski

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Today I was picking up diapers for the little one, open carrying as usually, stop by the bank, no problem. In target no problem either, until I went to leave, there was a phila cop at the door, I walked by him and greeted him and continued to my car. It was crowded so I had to park like 100 ft away, and as I am about to throw the diapers in my trunk I here.."dont f*ckin move" and he grabbed my weapon from the holster. I turned to the officer and said i never consented to you touching my weapon.. he replied " I dont give a f*ck, its a privilege, not a right to have a permit and i dont need anyones permission." At this point im very pissed. so he calls for back-up and is telling me its illegal to open carry. I keep asking him what he stopped me for, he reason was that he wanted to go home at the end of the day... what??? " he said i dont know what your purpose is with a weapon and whats going on in your head."

back up arrives and these to cops are the rudest people in the world. The first officer who confiscated my weapon says "he told me that he never consented with a laugh. the other cop says "f*ck him" his partner then asked me why i am open carrying, and i reply "for self defense and its my right to do so" he flipped out and started cursing at me, "you young motherf*cker know it all arent you, piece of ****?" i told him its directive 137, he response was quick and made me laugh. "yeah directive 137 is on my computer and it says you cant open carry in philadelphia, oh wait the computer is down" lol yeah ok buddy. he then was getting mad that i told him to pull every car over to make sure they are legal, he said "your starting to scare me get on the ground" very forceful about it (scare you? you have my weapon lol). I did as he asked and said "you guys are a disgrace." he was pissed about that. after all was said and done the cop put the gun in my car and said " no more open carry, you hear me?" so as he walked away i re-holstered my weapon and said i ll never stop, you just encouraged me to do it more." he replied, then i just give you a hard time, everytime"

Well not a bad first encounter, i did go down to the district and file a complaint, and will be calling my state rep. i dont have audio but its on video in target parking lot.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO!!! Stick around
and you will learn a lot. This sounds like a very serious encounter in which several laws were broken by the officer. I would recommend that you FOIA everything related to the incident. You may also want to consult an attorney. This is not a normal police encounter. Do you intend to pursue it?

Last edited:

Matt J Chybinski

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Welcome to OCDO!!! Stick around
and you will learn a lot. This sounds like a very serious encounter in which several laws were broken by the officer. I would recommend that you FOIA everything related to the incident. You may also want to consult an attorney. This is not a normal police encounter. Do you intend to pursue it?

Yes i really want to pursue it, i was humiliated in public for nothing.. when the cop to me to get on the ground after the weapon was take from me, i wanted to say no but i felt pressure, honestly i didnt want to get locked up

DocWalker

You must act>>>>get a lawyer now

Yes i really want to pursue it, i was humiliated in public for nothing.. when the cop to me to get on the ground after the weapon was take from me, i wanted to say no but i felt pressure, honestly i didnt want to get locked up

You must act, these three so called officer's will be doing this to you and every other law abiding citizen unless something is done. Talk to Target and get a copy of the video. You need to talk to a lawyer before posting anymore on here about this. They broke your civil rights and this needs to stop.

I know it is hard but you need to do something or stop wearing a weapon. Because no action is condoning this and submiting to the goverments will.

Curmudgeon

Feel free to peruse this thread about a similar encounter in Philly... http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/126083-arrested-philadelphia-police-open-carry.html

And this one, about Open Carry and what you need to know... http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/59762-open-carry-what-you-should-know-before-you-do.html

And if you like some of what you see, consider joining and maybe posting some of your experience, although you really ought to speak with an attorney before posting too much.

The single most notorious gang of thugs in all of Pennsylvania are the Philadelphia PD. :mad:

If you wish to stand up, you do not have to stand alone.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
This event is so full of fail on the filthy PD's part, that I am having trouble keeping myself in check. If this ends up turning into a lawsuit against these thugs in blue, I will be happy to donate what I can towards getting these jerks patrolling the local mall, instead of the streets of Philly.

Fallschirjmäger

"You're gonna give me a hard time every time you see me? Whatcha' doing tomorrow this same time? I'll be right here, sweetness. Hey, why don't you give me your cellphone number and I'll call you everyplace I am and if you're not busy, you can drop by? No? Well, here, I'll give you mine and you can call me whenever you're about to go on duty and I'll see if I can meet you instead."

Remember, cooperating with officers is always the best tactic. :) :)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Glad it wasn't me. I've been harassed by cops so much, I don't have much inhibition left. As soon as they start to go down hill "FUCKYOUTRAITOR" just flies right out... I doubt it would have worked out well were I in your shoes. ;-)

Definitely, crucify these bastards.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
Today I was picking up diapers for the little one, open carrying as usually, stop by the bank, no problem. In target no problem either, until I went to leave, there was a phila cop at the door, I walked by him and greeted him and continued to my car. It was crowded so I had to park like 100 ft away, and as I am about to throw the diapers in my trunk I here.."dont f*ckin move" and he grabbed my weapon from the holster. I turned to the officer and said i never consented to you touching my weapon.. he replied " I dont give a f*ck, its a privilege, not a right to have a permit and i dont need anyones permission." At this point im very pissed. so he calls for back-up and is telling me its illegal to open carry. I keep asking him what he stopped me for, he reason was that he wanted to go home at the end of the day... what??? " he said i dont know what your purpose is with a weapon and whats going on in your head."

back up arrives and these to cops are the rudest people in the world. The first officer who confiscated my weapon says "he told me that he never consented with a laugh. the other cop says "f*ck him" his partner then asked me why i am open carrying, and i reply "for self defense and its my right to do so" he flipped out and started cursing at me, "you young motherf*cker know it all arent you, piece of ****?" i told him its directive 137, he response was quick and made me laugh. "yeah directive 137 is on my computer and it says you cant open carry in philadelphia, oh wait the computer is down" lol yeah ok buddy. he then was getting mad that i told him to pull every car over to make sure they are legal, he said "your starting to scare me get on the ground" very forceful about it (scare you? you have my weapon lol). I did as he asked and said "you guys are a disgrace." he was pissed about that. after all was said and done the cop put the gun in my car and said " no more open carry, you hear me?" so as he walked away i re-holstered my weapon and said i ll never stop, you just encouraged me to do it more." he replied, then i just give you a hard time, everytime"

Well not a bad first encounter, i did go down to the district and file a complaint, and will be calling my state rep. i dont have audio but its on video in target parking lot.

dude if someone just out and took my weapon, i woulda applied a thai plum...tho that would get me assault charges...I DO NOT consent to have my weapon taken...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Looks like Philly PD needs to be sued for these sorts of suspicionless seizures - simply because PA law requires a license to openc arry in Philadelphia and inside vehicles generally does not mean the piolice can seize you just becasue you are open carrying, any more than they can sezie vehicle drivers just because they are dricing.

There must be reaosnable suspicion of crime afoot before the police can seize anyone. See Delaware v. Prouse.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Nothing from the brand new OP in the two weeks since it happened. Bummer. I really hope he doesn't drop this. I wonder what Target really got on video. And I wonder what their policy is on sharing it.

I came out of Home Depot one afternoon to find that someone had sideswiped my car. I was parked very close to the entrance and sure it would have been on the parking lot video. I asked the manager and he just matter-of-factly told me that he won't even review the tape to see if it is there unless I had a court order.

MKEgal

MAC702 said:
Nothing from the brand new OP in the two weeks since it happened.
Makes me a little suspicious that the whole thing was made up.

I came out of Home Depot one afternoon to find that someone had sideswiped my car. I was parked very close to the entrance and sure it would have been on the parking lot video. I asked the manager and he just matter-of-factly told me that he won't even review the tape to see if it is there unless I had a court order.
Oh, really now?
I hope the police got more cooperation from him.
Or what happened after you called Corporate?
Because by the time you could "get a court order" it's likely their tapes would have been taped over.

Curmudgeon

Nothing from the brand new OP in the two weeks since it happened. Bummer. I really hope he doesn't drop this. I wonder what Target really got on video. And I wonder what their policy is on sharing it.
~snip~

Makes me a little suspicious that the whole thing was made up.
~snip~

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/142554-another-bad-oc-encounter-philly-pd-not-me-time.html

LOL... made up? Seriously?

You guys need to remember that OCDO, fantastic though it is, is not the only resource on the internet.

We stole him. He's ours now. :p

If you really want to keep your finger on the pulse of what's happening in the world, you need to hang out on PAFOA.

...all the cool kids are doing it. :monkey