• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Noob reactions to OC in Marana...

Sonora Rebel

I don't live in Marana but way out to the west of the Tuscon Mountains. But... that's where I get my groceries 'n stuff. Noobs are easy to spot... they're pasty looking, generally hatless 'n wear shorts their wives picked out. I pull into FRY's on Silverbell and Cortaro in the hot rod. That thing's an eye opener in itself with the 'rump-rump' lope of a roller cam. Then... Noob one stands open-mouthed beside his mini-van as this 'cowboy' of about the same age as he exits this road beast with (GASP) a big gun on his hip in the cross draw position. Sez the noob: "Is that a real gun?" (Why do people pose such questions? Why would any adult carry a fake gun?) "Yeah" sez I. Noob just continues to stare as I pass by... apparently in shock.

Inside the store... I'm pushin' the cart around 'n encounter Noob #2. I take his measure 'n figure him to be a recently retired senior exec of some sort. He's got that aura. He glares at the pistol, then at me. (Major stink-eye) "You can't carry that in here!" (Yankee accent... NJ or NY) Sez I: "This is Arizona hoss... get used to it..." I keep on goin'. A younger woman nearby: "He's right... Get used to it or go home." Mr bigshot is deflated and scurries off. (Prob'ly to complain to the manager...) I was expecting him to make a MWAG call on his cell phone. That'd be an interesting awakening.

'Haven't had any such reactions for awhile... 'n then I get two in 10 minutes. Leaving... a former Suzy Creemcheeze type is loading her SUV next to the hot rod when I fired it up. She jumped straight up in the air. I think she cleared the pavement. I don't usually take that one to the store... I think I'll begin doing that just for the laffs.

carsontech

Activist Member
Effin A... I can't wait to get back out there around Tucson.

What gun(s) were you carrying when all this went down?

The wife and I are big Open Carry advocates and are planning a trip to Tucson next year a little after tax time.

What engine and what size/duration cam did you go with? I love the nice chop of a "big" cam coming out of a nice loud exhaust system. That's one thing I WILL miss about South Carolina, no vehicle inspections whatsoever. No ODB checks, no smog/emissions, nothing... just buy and drive without the government hassling you about it.

Catalytic converters, what are those??? ;) None of my cars have/had them, just nice mufflers to get a nice loud tone, that isn't obnoxious. I assume that if a vehicle is at or above a certain year model, then it has to have a catalytic converter()s out there in AZ?

Last edited:

Historyman1942

Funny story, I carry OC and CC here in Oregon and stay in Marana when I come down there. Actually flying into TUS from PDX August 2nd and staying through the 8th.

Btw, never posted on the AZ forums but probably should more as I generally spend 2 months each year down there. Love the states laws which make a lot more common sense that most places. Glad Oregon as liberal as it is still has Open Carry and is actually not very restrictive compared to even conservative states.

Can anyone here confirm that non-residents can CC w/o a CHL. I do have a OR CHL. I just ask for the purpose of understanding and knowledge, if I choose to conceal carry instead of open carry (which I generally do 85% of the time) I am covered in every state under the LEOSA.

azcdlfred

Can anyone here confirm that non-residents can CC w/o a CHL. I do have a OR CHL. I just ask for the purpose of understanding and knowledge, if I choose to conceal carry instead of open carry (which I generally do 85% of the time) I am covered in every state under the LEOSA.
Constitutional Carry applies to almost anyone on Arizona soil. Exceptions are the usual suspects - prohibited possessors, under 21, etc.

Your CHL is recognized in Arizona and is good in places that serve booze (that aren't posted "no firearms").

The law that covers Constitutional Carry is ARS 13-3102. The law does not "grant" discreet carry. It simply removes the prohibition to carry discreetly without first begging for government permission.

Recognition of your permit is in ARS 13-3112, which is also referred to by the Restaurant Carry law in the liquor statutes.

The best free document on Arizona law is here.

Fred

MITCH

Fred: Is it possible to obtain a copy of the Arizona Gun law pamphlet you make reference to? That item would make a great addition to the items for sale by ACDL.
I, and I'm sure others, would buy a copy rather than rely on the several copies of various articles that are available.
Mitch

azcdlfred

Fred: Is it possible to obtain a copy of the Arizona Gun law pamphlet you make reference to? That item would make a great addition to the items for sale by ACDL.
I, and I'm sure others, would buy a copy rather than rely on the several copies of various articles that are available. Mitch
The document was "published" by DPS as part of the instructor guide for the CCW course and updated every year. It belongs to DPS. When I taught the course, I printed it out for my students and then it was "only" 75 pages.

With DPS no longer involved in CCW training procedures, they have removed the Instructor links from their web page and posted an article lamenting the end of civilization as we know it. Fortunatley, the link to the aritcle is still there but hidden. You can access it from AzCDL's Educational page.

As the CCW permit process at DPS restructures, I'm not sure that the "legal issues" document will be updated after last year's edition, since there is no longer any official CCW course.

Alan Korwin publishes a book on Arizona's gun laws and updates it every year as we change the laws. I recommend owning a copy. It's only $14.95.

Alan is also the force behind Train Me Arizona . AzCDL is one of the sponsors.

Fred

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

Effin A... I can't wait to get back out there around Tucson.

What gun(s) were you carrying when all this went down?

The wife and I are big Open Carry advocates and are planning a trip to Tucson next year a little after tax time.

What engine and what size/duration cam did you go with? I love the nice chop of a "big" cam coming out of a nice loud exhaust system. That's one thing I WILL miss about South Carolina, no vehicle inspections whatsoever. No ODB checks, no smog/emissions, nothing... just buy and drive without the government hassling you about it.

Catalytic converters, what are those??? ;) None of my cars have/had them, just nice mufflers to get a nice loud tone, that isn't obnoxious. I assume that if a vehicle is at or above a certain year model, then it has to have a catalytic converter()s out there in AZ?

Gun: Springer 1911A1 .45acp

Engine Mopar 5.9 (360 cid) KRC 210X roller cam duration 210/214 lift .523/.526... yes, you'll need emissions inspection in Pima and Maricopa Counties. I run a pair of 3" CATCO cats.

Attachments

• 5.9 Mopar.jpg
    5.9 Mopar.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 157

Phoenix David

Gun: Springer 1911A1 .45acp

Engine Mopar 5.9 (360 cid) KRC 210X roller cam duration 210/214 lift .523/.526... yes, you'll need emissions inspection in Pima and Maricopa Counties. I run a pair of 3" CATCO cats.

He got all bent out of shape over a .45. I was thinking you had a 8" stainless .500 Smith & Wesson magnum or some other big hog leg. :banana:

Sonora Rebel

Nice PU! Just curious about how you transport your carry firearms. It would be a sin to transport a 1911 in anything not American made!

Blackhawk Serpa II. I dunno where it's made. I don't care. It works. In the field (horseback) I use an M1918 or M1912 flap holster or an M1914 shoulder holster. One is a gennie (1944) and he other two are repro's... Prob'ly India. They work as intended.

Last edited:

carracer

I believe BlackHawk Serpa's are made in Meridian, Idaho. Was referring to the PU tho as I'd hate to see a fine 1911 being hauled around in a Yugo!

Sonora Rebel

I believe BlackHawk Serpa's are made in Meridian, Idaho. Was referring to the PU tho as I'd hate to see a fine 1911 being hauled around in a Yugo!

It's an American truck (then) made by a German company with a Mexican engine, South Korean wheels, Italian tires and a Japanese radio.

Last edited:
It's an American truck (then) made by a German company with a Mexican engine, South Korean wheels, Italian tires and a Japanese radio.

Truth like this is what cracks me up when I run across Harley riders:

Them: "Why don't you have an American-made bike?"

Me: "Mine was assembled in Nebraska by a Japanese company with parts from all over the world. It's as American as yours."

Them: "Ain't so. Mine is pure 'Merican!"

Me: "Let's see. Electronics from Japan. Brakes from Europe. Wheels and tires from China...looks like you're in the same boat, man. Your bike is just assembled in a different state than mine."

Them: "#(*#(*#&*&(@!&^*!&@*&##@"

*NOTHING* in the US in truly made of US-only materials anymore. Nothing.

Sonora Rebel

I have a bunch of guns that weren't 'Made in USA' either. (USSR, DR/DDR, PRC, S. Korea, Brazil, Spain, Italy) They work. Most of the police departments in this country are armed with Austrian Glocks instead of Springfields or Colts too. My next 'carry' gun will be a Sig P-220 .45acp. Why? It works better than a 1911A1 for self defense purposes (IMHO).