• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Canton Cop Threatens to Execute Driver Over Weapons Permit

Polynikes

Didn't see this posted yet, hopefully no one beat me to it.

Canton, Ohio police officer Daniel Harless has been placed on administrative leave following the release of dash cam video that showed him threatening the life of a driver who did not immediately provide notification of having a conceal weapons permit.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry, who released the video, said that William Bartlett made two attempts to notify the officer but was told not to speak.

“I have a carry…,” Bartlett began before being asked for his license.

“Why do you keep having that? What is that?” Harless asked about the concealed carry card Bartlett was trying to show him.

“Because I have a concealed carry,” Bartlett explained.

“Right now, the **** you just pulled, I should just blast you right in the mouth… I’m so close to caving in your god damn head…You **** with me…You’re just a stupid human being,” Harless shouted.

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/07/canton-cop-threatens-to-execute-driver-over-weapons-permit/

I wonder what sort of charges the driver would be facing if he'd said something similar to the cop...:mad:

Last edited:

frommycolddeadhands

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Didn't see this posted yet, hopefully no one beat me to it.

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/07/canton-cop-threatens-to-execute-driver-over-weapons-permit/

I wonder what sort of charges the driver would be facing if he'd said something similar to the cop...:mad:

There are several threads discussing this topic already but welcome to the party! As to the outcome for the officer, this story is justing starting to expand past pro-gun websites. Several local news stations picked up the story as well as Fox on the national level. With all of that
publicity, I think that the officer will be fired, especially if the the uproar over his actions continues.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
When I watched it several days ago, I was disgusted at the behavior of that "officer". In my opinion, he was nothing more than gutter trash and should be not only fired, but sued until the only roof over his head is part of a cardboard box. There is just no room for this sort of behavior on the part of our servants. Were this to take place in Virginia, I would bet there would be hell to pay by his department and him.

Alexcabbie

When I watched it several days ago, I was disgusted at the behavior of that "officer". In my opinion, he was nothing more than gutter trash and should be not only fired, but sued until the only roof over his head is part of a cardboard box. There is just no room for this sort of behavior on the part of our servants. Were this to take place in Virginia, I would bet there would be hell to pay by his department and him.

Don't count on it, Southernboy. Here in Alexandria about three days before Obama's inauguration one of our cabbies got ambushed and shot to death. Out delightful prosecutor CA Randy Sengal did not press for more that 2nd degree murder and 37 years because the robbers were young and "never had a chance". I guess the cabbie's wife and kids had enough of a chance, and too bad for them but they don't have relatives who vote for CA in Alexandria.

By the way, wasn't it Sengal who fought tooth and nail to confiscate and destroy the firearm of a citizzen who had used his weapon in self-defense? I wanted to tear up my hack permit after that little episode. :banghead:

TFred

This was just covered on FoxNews about 20 minutes ago... I don't know the show name, three ladies "discussing" it. None of them even had a clue. The good side is that the Ohio CCW folks got some exposure, hopefully some viewers with common sense will pick up on it and offer some support.

TFred

okboomer

Actually, in the video the cops were driving around without their headlights on. IIRC, before we left Ohio in 1994 the state passed a law that LEO could not operate blacked out ... so that meant that the OHP sitting on the side of the road had to have their headlights on. I am not sure if that is still the law, but if it is, perhaps the OHP might have something to say to those cops, too.

SouthernBoy

Don't count on it, Southernboy. Here in Alexandria about three days before Obama's inauguration one of our cabbies got ambushed and shot to death. Out delightful prosecutor CA Randy Sengal did not press for more that 2nd degree murder and 37 years because the robbers were young and "never had a chance". I guess the cabbie's wife and kids had enough of a chance, and too bad for them but they don't have relatives who vote for CA in Alexandria.

By the way, wasn't it Sengal who fought tooth and nail to confiscate and destroy the firearm of a citizzen who had used his weapon in self-defense? I wanted to tear up my hack permit after that little episode. :banghead:

Thanks for the info, Alexcabbie. Prosecutors are elected officials so that reflects on the citizens of Alexandria. We have Paul "Butch" Ebert here in Prince William County and he would have gone after that maggot with zeal. I am so sorry to hear that an innocent person was murdered and his murderer did not receive a just punishment for the crime.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
This was just covered on FoxNews about 20 minutes ago... I don't know the show name, three ladies "discussing" it. None of them even had a clue. The good side is that the Ohio CCW folks got some exposure, hopefully some viewers with common sense will pick up on it and offer some support.

TFred

Saw that too and had the same reaction. All they could talk about was how hard the LEO has it. No mention of him threatening to do bodily harm to him because he didn't like the guy not informing him immediately. If I were the Chief I'd fire him and then he would be prosecuted for threatening to assault him.

Alexcabbie

Just watched the video. Not only nasty, but what a STUPID COP. Both of them, really.

How many times could the driver, if he had been a bad guy, plugged both of those cops? You don't start pokin' around in a vehicle until you have all the passengers out and the car secure. Yet here's the one cop wedged into the back (where it might be difficult to reach his sidearm) while the other cop stands right where he could be shot in the groin (and have his femoral artery severed) while he directs his attention OVER the roof to heap abuse on the woman and the passenger. There's a window of about 10 seconds or more where BOTH of them could have been shot dead while they just act like the driver is chopped liver.

Then, when the driver (who seems to me to be a total milquetoast) FINALLY gets to tell the cop he's armed, the cop gets really nasty and abusive. I think guys like that Canton cop have a radar for pliable, submissve people and then they promptly take advantage of them. When it turned out the sheep had fangs, the wolf-in-sheepdog's clothing freaked. Once he had his victim disarmed, he then really went to town on him.

Probable cause for a stop? Well, ok, it was a known prostitution area, and a woman was talking into the pulled-over car. Can't blame them for thinking they were seeing a hookup. But the search seems illegal and I bet this winds up being shown in police training facilities and criminal justice classes as an example of a cop should NOT do in that situation.

The cop is damn skippy he could have been killed. All it would have taken was a real BG in the driver's seat.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I think guys like that Canton cop have a radar for pliable, submissve people and then they promptly take advantage of them. When it turned out the sheep had fangs, the wolf-in-sheepdog's clothing freaked. Once he had his victim disarmed, he then really went to town on him.

Exactly what was taught in the Academy I went to. They spent more time teaching how to take advantage and get away with it than anything else.

If you didn't like it, well, duh. I left instead of being thrown out for standing up.

MarkD51

Truly pathetic, worse than Gestapo Police in Nazi Germany. Is this how they train their police officers? These guys appeared to be what could be called "seasoned officers", certainly didn't look like rookies to me.

I hope both officers are fired, and the defendent goes past go, and hits the Canton Ohio Lottery.

TFred

Can you say "Caught?"

I posted this over on the Ohio forum thread, thought some might miss it there:

I haven't seen anyone else comment on this yet...

The video clearly shows that eventually, the victim here does finally communicate that he has the permit, and then after a direct question, he answers that he is carrying a gun. There is no way to dispute this sequence of events.

Yet take a look at this small snip from this news article:

Driver feels like a 'victim' after encounter with Canton police officer

A court summons indicated, "Subject had concealed upon his person one .38 Cal Ruger pistol that was loaded and ready to fire. Subject did not inform police officers that he had a CCW permit through Stark County until the weapon was discovered during a pat down of his person during a traffic stop of his vehicle."​

Assuming that summons' are sworn out under oath... sounds like someone needs to be going to jail for perjury... How much more unprofessional can these clowns be?

ETA: It looks like they are in "full-out-CYA-at-all-costs-including-perjury" mode.

TFred

Badger Johnson

IMO, those 'notify' laws are unenforceable (see my diatribe elsewhere).

But, anyway, what is the penalty if a LEO sees a Felony happen and does nothing? Whatever that is, I think the LEO's partner should be charged with that. He saw someone threaten to murder a person repeatedly, and without remorse, and did nothing. IANAL.

$.02

SouthernBoy

IMO, those 'notify' laws are unenforceable (see my diatribe elsewhere).

But, anyway, what is the penalty if a LEO sees a Felony happen and does nothing? Whatever that is, I think the LEO's partner should be charged with that. He saw someone threaten to murder a person repeatedly, and without remorse, and did nothing. IANAL.

$.02

Good point.

tim12232

has anyone seen anything regarding a court date or any update on this piece of trash human? I dont even want to call him a cop, Ive known to many good, helpful, kind cops over the years to let him use that title. Sorry I know there's alot of nasty cop stories out there, but I do believe like many things the bad is more noticed that the good.

Tim

Brian D.

I heard the Administrative Leave is over and the cop
is off on sick leave.
I think it might be 'roid rage.

This could also be a "pension ploy"...might be making a case for PTSD or the like. Personally he just strikes me as a flaming bunghole, which doesn't qualify for a disability pension payout.