• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

my gun confiscated

kadar

Get a lawyer.
I have a feeling your going to need one once the Sheriff gets wind of this. (ie revoked LTCF)

jblonde009

Get a lawyer.
I have a feeling your going to need one once the Sheriff gets wind of this. (ie revoked LTCF)

I have 2 friends that are cops for different citys and they both said wether it was on my table my couch or my porch its still my property and there was no reason for them to take it. I dont know, i would just like to know whos in the right here.

MKEgal

Irresponsible? Yes.
Criminal? Not IMO.

I can see the police securing it until the owner comes forward, just as a safety issue, but to refuse to give it back, let alone threaten to have someone's license pulled??
No.

How would it have been any different if the pistol had been left inside (on the counter, maybe), with the door unlocked, instead of hidden on the porch? And if it was hidden, how'd the police get it?

Unless they manage to come up with an actual criminal charge (and I can think of one possibility, though it's a bit of a stretch), I doubt they'll be able to sustain their possession when questioned by a judge.

Contact the head of the dep't: try to get a recording of your meeting or phone call (of course, if it's legal in PA), or write a letter. Maybe contact the city attorney.

And next time,
1) clean up your mess before you leave the house
2) think ahead & be more responsible with your firearm

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'm going to have to agree with proshooter on this one. Really irresponsible. And I'm just refering to the gun. I have no comment on the fake blood. How exactly do you forget to take your gun with you?

EDIT: Welcome to OCDO by the way. Tough way to start out on the forum. Stick around and you will learn a lot.

Last edited:

jblonde009

Irresponsible? Yes.
Criminal? Not IMO.

I can see the police securing it until the owner comes forward, just as a safety issue, but to refuse to give it back, let alone threaten to have someone's license pulled??
No.

How would it have been any different if the pistol had been left inside (on the counter, maybe), with the door unlocked, instead of hidden on the porch? And if it was hidden, how'd the police get it?

Unless they manage to come up with an actual criminal charge (and I can think of one possibility, though it's a bit of a stretch), I doubt they'll be able to sustain their possession when questioned by a judge.

Contact the head of the dep't: try to get a recording of your meeting or phone call (of course, if it's legal in PA), or write a letter. Maybe contact the city attorney.

And next time,
1) clean up your mess before you leave the house
2) think ahead & be more responsible with your firearm

so would you agree this is grounds for revoked LTCF?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
No offense, but my suspicions get aroused by some of the stories from first-time posters. You know, things like: going camping at 11pm. After playing with fake blood. Not cleaning up the blood. Leaving without the gun, or securing it. A fella leaving without his keys? Cops finding a covered up gun on a porch? (Did the friend cover it with a fake-bloody rag?) Twenty minutes after his call to his friend, he arrives back to find 30 people, 11 cop cars, fire-trucks, and ambulances, and a news crew at his place? Wow, that was fast. Were they waiting in the wings? And, the cops said nothing to him about seizing the gun that evening--not until he calls the next morning.

ETA: And, he gets a call from the neighbor, but not from the girlfriend who thinks he might be injured from the fake-blood while all the fake-blood mixings are still not cleaned up.

Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes, so I can't really call BS.

If the story is true, I can't get that worked up about a covered up gun on a porch in a small town with maybe three cops. For twenty minutes?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No offense, but my suspicions get aroused by some of the stories from first-time posters. You know, things like: going camping at 11pm. After playing with fake blood. Not cleaning up the blood. Leaving without the gun, or securing it. A fella leaving without his keys? Cops finding a covered up gun on a porch? (Did the friend cover it with a fake-bloody rag?) Twenty minutes after his call to his friend, he arrives back to find 30 people, 11 cop cars, fire-trucks, and ambulances, and a news crew at his place? Wow, that was fast. Were they waiting in the wings? And, the cops said nothing to him about seizing the gun that evening--not until he calls the next morning.

Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes, so I can't really call BS.

If the story is true, I can't get that worked up about a covered up gun on a porch in a small town with maybe three cops. For twenty minutes?

Definitely makes a strange twitch in my nose too. Perhaps someone will file a FOIA request to confirm or deny the validity of the story.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Definitely makes a strange twitch in my nose too. Perhaps someone will file a FOIA request to confirm or deny the validity of the story.

Hey, at least the cover-up happened before government got involved, not after. Not like [strike]Brady[/strike] Surry County, VA. That's something, ya know. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey, at least the cover-up happened before government got involved, not after. Not like [strike]Brady[/strike] Surry County, VA. That's something, ya know. :)

Dot ting make a ferry good story too.....Surry you know what I mean. :dude:

MKEgal

jblonde009 said:
so would you agree this is grounds for revoked LTCF?
MKEgal said:
No.
But it is grounds for a good ass-chewing.

BTW, if anyone wants to check up on the story, here's contact info:
Ashley Borough Police
8 N Main St.
Ashley, PA
(570) 822-6995

Wiki says there were under 3,000 people living there in 2000, so if this happened it'll probably be widely known.

Last edited:

Coach Ike

I am wondering how "11 police cars" showed up so fast in a town with "3 cops". Of course some towns are really close to other towns and maybe they all need a little excitement like flies flocking to .... well, I will leave it up to your imagination as to what flies like to flock to.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It's all very simple. I am now going to officially ask the OP to post a copy of his police report. To the OP, that will settle the debate over whether or not your story is fiction or fact. Let's see that police report.