• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spoke with Lieutenant Sweatt today (PPD shift leader the day of the BBQ)

ep0k

Purpose of meeting was to discuss his concerns from LEO perspective and ours from free speech / RTKBA perspective. Take-away points as follows:

I stressed that we do not want an overbearing police presence and are specifically not requesting any LEO for the event. He agreed but said the decision is ultimately up to the Chief of Police. His perspective is that there will probably be at least one uniformed officer in the area but not necessarily at the event itself.

Concerns were raised on the topic of counter-protestors. I made the point that the interpersonal conflict at the last BBQ in April 2010 was the result of Skolnik's counter-protest group getting aggressive with OC'ers. Also pointed out that our interactions during the Sanford community walk last summer were overwhelmingly positive.

Went over our ideology and the "rules" we go by for events, using website as primary source. Emphasized that we don't want our focus to be on specific political ideologies, but keep it narrowed to RTKBA topics. Also de-emphasis on long guns, OC as a method of social normalization and encouraging debate, our behavioral expectations from participants, etc.

Lt. Sweatt said more than once that his role as shift commander is to uphold constitutional rights and not take sides if there is counter protest. I similarly reiterated that we encourage the open exchange of opinion, whether or not it agrees with our perspective.

Topic of Alex's recent experiences came up. I made the point that individuals on the police force seem to have an anti-OC agenda. Lt. said he expects his officers to fulfill their duties while in uniform. Grain of salt, IMHO. Video cameras and witnesses keep people in line more effectively than good intentions. Thankfully both will be present in abundance on the 14th.

On a related topic, Lt. raised concern of non-permitted individuals transitioning from storage in vehicle to loaded in holster. I pointed out that DA had declined to prosecute in recent case and will make an effort to remind people not to load while in vehicle. So remember, don't load in your vehicle unless you have a CFP. For safety purposes perhaps we should set up clearing barrel to minimize risk of negligent discharge? Easy to make with coffee can, sand, plastic bag.

Police interest overall seems largely logistical. Will have to see what Chief of Police decides to do but intend to remain in contact with Lt via email. Coordination facilitates smooth operation.