• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good or bad cop???

hammer6

Naw I don't think he should get fired, but educated yes. He for sure got reprimanded for that but you have to admit that "Patterson" was being a jerk.

dude- who cares if the kid had his pants down...he was looking for drugs or a weapon.

he should get fired. he made the situation something it wasn't.

JeepSeller

mach1chris, In this situation, it's quite apparent you're new here. A hard fast rule you'll learn eventually is that some (not all) gun owners are prone to over-generalized, poorly founded, anti-LEO agendas. They like to lump ALL cops under one label. For the most part, they are unable separate their logical thinking from their own fears and biases regarding LEOs.

All throughout our history, many in our society has felt a need to place some group beneath themselves to feel powerful. Cop-bashing is just another form of prejudice. It's just a prejudice that's deeply rooted in an inability to take responsibility for one's own actions and a need to blame someone else when they get caught doing something they shouldn't be doing or a fear of being caught in the first place. The notion that there's someone watching, that might remind them of their own mistakes or weaknesses, preys on their insecurities to a point of obsession in some.

I'm 50 years old and I've never had a bad experience with an LEO. None of my family has ever had a bad experience with an LEO. None of my close friends, co-workers have had one. The only people I've ever known personally that report a poor experience with an LEO can track that poor experience to some level of their own attitude or the way they presented themselves into the situation.

I've long surmised that you get out what you put in. If you look for trouble, you'll find it.

Are there bad cops out there? Sure. Just as there are bad bus drivers, lawyers, and bad McDonalds burger flippers and Doctors. All have examples of poor behavior that can be found in stories on the internet. Unfortunately, usually, only the bad news makes news. So, when we hear about an LEO, it's usually a bad one. But, bear in mind that there are 10's of thousands of LEOS in this country in all likelihood. Resulting in 10's upon 10's of thousands of LEO/Citizen interactions. We only see/hear about a small fraction. A cop saving a life or comforting someone in need or catching bad guys just doesn't make for a high hit count on YouTube.

Last edited:

mach1chris

Dame... Me personaly I thought that gun owners would be much more supportive of law enforcement officers. Maybe you people should change the name of the fourm to anti-cop or cop bash.org....

Gunslinger

I'm not sure what the underwear law is, but doubt it's grounds for stopping someone. The cop was an ******* from the start. Racial profiling comes to mind, and clearly assault. The cop saying you 'have to have ID' while going about your business labels him as a moron, as well. Only the most inane cop apologists can defend his action. He was the thug, not the black guy, however easy it is to dislike him.

Gunslinger

Dame... Me personaly I thought that gun owners would be much more supportive of law enforcement officers. Maybe you people should change the name of the fourm to anti-cop or cop bash.org....

Of decent cops, yes. Of thugs who make up the law as they like and treat citizens as subjects, no. This isn't cop bashing; it is one thug being called what he is.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

Dude, you post a video of a cop assaulting innocent people then expect us all to tell you how great cops are and how well this cop handled a situation that didn't even need to happen?

131089557959.jpg

*strike person in the throat for following police orders*
ARREST THEM FOR ASSAULT!!!!!!!!!

I <3 cops.

my favorite quote from a cop video is.... "you're under arrest for resisting arrest" < doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I would just like to note that I was a huge fan of people in all uniforms my entire life. I considered being a cop in high school. I've always though people who were victims of "police brutality" had what they had coming because cops only beat up the bad guys. I thought police officers were all great people because they were trusted with the authority that comes with that badge, they wouldn't just give that to anyone.

Then two years ago I bought my first firearm. With that I thought it would be smart to learn the laws in my area for possessing a firearm. Then I started learning about gun control and the outrageous laws unconstitutional laws that are used to regulate firearms. From there I learned that the cops who take an oath to support the constitution actually enforce unconstitutional laws. From THERE I learned that it isn't just firearms, cops enforce unconstitutional laws related to tons and tons of things!

All this caused me to look closer at the constitution! ( I use to think open/concealed carry was just stupid, only cops and military need to carry guns )

I thought I was a patriot for supporting uniforms of all kinds and hating anyone who question the law. I was dead wrong. Now I feel I am a true patriot.

I talk to as many cops as I can about actual freedom and their oath to the constitution.
I contact my representatives often.
I constantly try to learn more about our founding fathers and their intentions for this great nation.
I serve in the military.

I am a complete 180 from who I was 5 years ago and it all started with buying a gun < the most American thing you can do if you ask me! changed my life!

(did this go off topic?)

77zach

I am a complete 180 from who I was 5 years ago and it all started with buying a gun < the most American thing you can do if you ask me! changed my life!

(did this go off topic?)

I had a similar experience. Although I already knew about the federal reserve (the beast), I asked myself why some people who obviously lust after power (politicians) don't want me, a peaceable person who doesn't want power, armed. And now I find out they certainly can't have me visibly armed (a high expression and symbol of freedom); only the states trusted servants can do so. Made me realize the truth that a nation of sheep will get a government of wolves.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I went through something similar when I went the the FDLE Academy. That place will make a Libertarian out of you if you have even a shred of decency. Only a willing and joyful traitor could see what I've seen and still participate in it.

GIdeon_70

Sure, easy.

1. The guy had committed no crime that I can see.
2. He needed to shut up. Name, address, age. No compliance beyond that.
3. The cop used the man's attitude against him, and goaded him into showing some resistance - which allowed him to react.
4. The office is out of control, but he is using the law to abuse people. He can legally do that, because he is staying marginally legal... to a point.
5. The officer pushed him back, violently, and felt he was defending himself, he trains every day to never allow someone to get close to him, and the other person on the scene was known for assaulting an officer - it had to be going through the cops mind.

This is why I ALWAYS say the same thing to my kids.

If you are in an encounter with an officer, keep your mouth shut. Say your name, address and age, and allow them to see your ID if you have it (not required in this state), and beyond that, the words, "I choose to remain silent, am I under arrest or am I free to go?" Then, did I say this? KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! Every word you say works against you.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Denial will do no good. Officers like this are why no rational adult teaches their kids that the Police are your Friends anymore. They aren't. They're predators out to ruin lives by fabricating arrests of people they feel like messing with. Maybe they were bullies and never grew up. Maybe they were the ones that got one swirlie too many, and want revenge on anyone they can get it on... I really don't care how they got so messed up. It doesn't matter. I'm not trying to fix them, they make their own choices to be that sort of human being.

I think it's a bad idea that the FDLE, and possibly other agencies responsible for training LEOS if the LEO's actions are an indicator (and they are), have developed a system to hand-pick exactly this kind of person for the job.

This is why there are so man 'cop bashers' about. Cops like this really are the majority. It isn't an accident that mental defectives are hand-picked by the agencies responsible for training and selecting LEOs. such a small portion of the population couldn't end up applying for the job (mental defectives) and almost exclusively getting the job, if the screening process were designed to prevent it instead of encourage it.

77zach

It isn't an accident that mental defectives are hand-picked by the agencies responsible for training and selecting LEOs. such a small portion of the population couldn't end up applying for the job (mental defectives) and almost exclusively getting the job, if the screening process were designed to prevent it instead of encourage it.

There was a lawsuit, in California I believe, where some LE agency was being sued because they weren't hiring any officers above a certain IQ! I don't know what became of the suit.