Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taco Via in Lee's Summit, MO - To Funny

Taco Via in Lee's Summit, MO - To Funny

So me and the family wanted to try something new and we decided on Taco Via, so we loaded the kids up and headed over. So we get there and NO SIGN so im good. We start off by noticing that is a very religious place, they have the last supper and the ten commandment on the wall and as I get up to the counter, laugh and point out that its funny all the religious items and the register has "6.66" on the display LOL

So we ordered and got our food, as we are eating the manager walks out from the back and after a couple minutes walks over to me and asked if im "licensed". I reply no need and my wife jumps in that if legal to open carry.

The manager a middle aged lady, tells me she is licensed and is always carrying, and that my instructor should have told me I should not carry into businesses. She told I could tal my gun out to the car and come back in and finish my food and I replied I would just leave due to risk of theft, from someone seeing me put my gun in the car. She said no that wont happen to just put in under the seat, she always does.

after a minute of debt she stated I could stay this time and finish my food but would have to leave it in the car next time, but she will have to put her gun on the counter while Im there LOL yes she said that, I told her I would just leave and take my business elsewhere. She at this point just ased me to leave and she would get us a box. I said no need. and we left. as I was leaving I herd her talking to someone that she was going to make a sign to post at the door.

there was a lot said but she was to funny to debt with, she said that me OCing was brandishing and she didnt now me from adam and that I could pull my gun and rob the place, at that point I saw what kind of a person she was, she took the class bought a gun and carries it probably never even shoot it LOL

The ignorance of the CCW community is painful, this was the most entertaining OC situation I have had, there was many time I could not help but laugh at her, I tried so hard to hold back but she was to funny.

So if you need a good laugh eat at Taco Via the food sucks but you get a good laugh.

sorry for the format watching movie and typing LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tacovia.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	6432  

I would contact corporate comments@taco-via.com and ask what company policy is. Another anti that carries a gun that feels she is better than the rest of us.
    Last edited by xdmcompact; 07-22-2011 at 11:05 PM.

With all the "debt" going around, you figure she might want your money. It's a shame that she will lose out on so many law abiding customers. I agree with whoever said you should contact their corporate office. Should have given her one of the no guns=no money cards.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

One thing to think about...

So a manager who is a gun owner not knowing the laws? Unfortunately a common thread.

What jumped out at me, and what I would have commented on, is this:

"She told I could take my gun out to the car and come back in and finish my food and I replied I would just leave due to risk of theft, from someone seeing me put my gun in the car. She said no that wont happen to just put it under the seat, she always does."

Now you were trying out a new restaurant, you don't know her and she don't know you, and she just told you where you can find her gun unattended during her working hours.

I would have pointed this out to her. I would have also asked if the no weapons policy is Taco Via's policy, the individual store owner's policy, or her personal policy.
    And like xdmcompact said, I would definitely write a nice letter to corporate asking what is Taco Via's official policy really is.

correct me if i'm wrong. Isn't an unholstered gun ON the counter considered Brandishing?

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sega View Post
    SNIP Now you were trying out a new restaurant, you don't know her and she don't know you, and she just told you where you can find her gun unattended during her working hours.
    And, anybody else who happens to read this forum.

And, anybody in her company who googles that company name to see what sort of internet presence they have. Hope she's allowed to have one on company property.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic Penguin View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong. Isn't an unholstered gun ON the counter considered Brandishing?
    No. It is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic Penguin View Post
    I'm unsure, but if not, it still appears very.....strange.

"I feel that nobody should be able to see firearms in public. So if I see one, I shall put mine on the counter for all to see, as well."

Brilliant. Now there's TWO firearms in sight. Evidently, she is unaware that this is the opposite direction from the goal she wishes to achieve.

If I understand brandishing, I believe it is pointing or waving your firearm in a threatening manner. Now who makes the determinazation of what exactly a threatening manner is, is the problem. I was told by a LEO, for what its worth, that drawing your weapon, pointing it or holding it up, or waving it, would get you cited for brandishing, by that LEO.....
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Absent a definition in the Missouri code, it falls to the lexicographical definition of "brandishing"
    - to wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly.
    - to display ostentatiously
    - to shake or wave, as a weapon; flourish: Brandishing his sword, he rode into battle.

Missouri Revised Statutes 571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
    (4) Exhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner

One might note certain key elements of what constitutes 'brandishing'.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 07-23-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Absent a definition in the Missouri code, it falls to the lexicographical definition of "brandishing"
    - to wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly.
    - to display ostentatiously
    - to shake or wave, as a weapon; flourish: Brandishing his sword, he rode into battle.

Missouri Revised Statutes 571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
    (4) Exhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner

One might note certain key elements of what constitutes 'brandishing'.

If a person says they are are going to exhibit a weapon on the counter of their establishment, because of you legally carrying your firearm openly, then I would say they are definitely "threatening" you.

Accomplished Advocate
    Firearms ownership is a responsibility, plain and simple.

You should NEVER leave a firearm where another might indeed take control of it that has no knowledge or training, doing so is VERY dangerous.

If some child, like the one the other day who said "oh cool, you carry your bb gun with you" about my 6" S&W stainless 357, it is very believable he would have picked up my "bb gun" to play with, a HUGE disaster with a firearm.

These are some of the discussions a good ccw instructor has with persons regarding fanny pack carry, purse carry or other manner of carry in which your firearm can be separated from your person, it requires a MUCH higher level of responsibility to prevent disastrous results.

It is sad she was not trained better or she failed to take the training serious and put into practice what the instructor taught which ever the case may be. She is indeed the type you read about when their firearm is taken from them by a criminal or child.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Not sure how laying her firearm on the counter was helping her argument any. If anything, it made her look even stupider and irresponsible!

Comsec,

It's the OC'er targeting the CCW community that's ignorant, we're here for the same purpose and until the OC and CCW folks get that they'll continue targeting one another. You should have discontinued the conversation, asked for a refund of your purchase, and left. Then get that business added to the Do Not Patronize list.

It certainly would have been nice if you could have somehow gotten her to divulge who her instructor was. We truly need to start identifying the knuckleheads that are telling folks that OC is illegal and that OC'ing is brandishing. The facts should be there and if an instructor is going to discuss anything like OC they should have the statutes to back it up.

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar

question

Quote Originally Posted by REALteach4u View Post
    Comsec,

It's the OC'er targeting the CCW community that's ignorant, .
    Is that a typo? Are you standing behind this statement?

Doc

It's such a shame to have so many in our firearms community that are actually against freedom. It really grinds my gears.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

In my opinion, those who carry concealed under a permit, and feel that they are so much better for having groveled before and kissed the ring of government, are more dangerous than your average non-carrying statist.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    You may find that more CCW instructors than you would otherwise think hold these views (OC bad, CCW good) and these views translate into their courses in subtle ways, and some not so subtle ways.
    I was told by my CCW instructor, that was blessed, ordained, certified, or whatever the NRA does to their CCW instructors....that open carrying was illegal and not to do it. But that was five years ago....
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Quote Originally Posted by Richieg150 View Post
    I was told by my CCW instructor, that was blessed, ordained, certified, or whatever the NRA does to their CCW instructors....that open carrying was illegal and not to do it. But that was five years ago....
    I just always figured the instructors feel they have to tell people that so people will tell there friends they have to take the class and the instructor keeps making money, if they tell people they dont need a permission to carry, many people may ask for a refund LOL

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ComSec View Post
    I just always figured the instructors feel they have to tell people that so people will tell there friends they have to take the class and the instructor keeps making money, if they tell people they dont need a permission to carry, many people may ask for a refund LOL
    Considering the demonstrated ignorance of so many of these "certified instructors," I always get a chuckle when I see people putting that crap in their sig lines like it's some kind of badge of honor. To me, it's like walking into a brain surgeon's office and seeing a diploma that reads "Universidad de Ciudad de México, 1954." Not exactly reassuring.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 07-28-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Unhappy

The ignorance of the CCW community is painful...

Because one person who claimed to "have a "license" to carry" makes an ass of them self the entire CCW Community is painfully ignorant? wow...

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Considering the demonstrated ignorance of so many of these "certified instructors," I always get a chuckle when I see people putting that crap in their sig lines like it's some kind of badge of honor. To me, it's like walking into a brain surgeon's office and seeing a diploma that reads "Universidad de Ciudad de México, 1954." Not exactly reassuring.
    And considering some of the comments made by "average Joe" gun owners on many of these forums, it sometimes makes me wonder if they are competent enough to actually own a gun. Still, I respect their Second Amendment rights and even go WAY out of my way to support them, just the same.

When you folks try to stereotype instructors as a group, it is no different than when others try to to stereotype folks who open carry as a group. A handful of "bad apples" doesn't make everyone else in the group "bad" by default. My organization has had over 800 students come through our classes over the past several years and NOT ONE of those students has ever been told that OC is illegal. Our students have OC explained to them exactly as it stands in this state (there are several folks here on this forum who have taken their CCW training from me and can attest to that fact). We don't try to sugar coat it, and we don't try to embellish.

But I digress, some of us "certified instructors" have put HUGE amounts of time and money into our development as instructors. We have taken our training very seriously. We've spent our own money to sit down with attorneys for hours as we go over statutes, case law, and precedents that will be relevant to our students. We participate in updated training each year. We've worked hard to develop safe, relevant, and affordable training courses. We devote time and money into being active at a legislative level. In short, we have taken it upon ourselves to dot our I's and cross our T's. If you think it's right to attempt to shame me for that, then shame on you. What you are doing is just as bad and just as wrong as what others are doing in regards to folks who open carry.

I'm not sure why any instructor would say something like that to a student other than they are just misinformed, or are just flat out lying. On that note, of the CCW students I've talked to specifically about OC, there are very, very few of them who have said that they would ever open carry other than in very rare circumstances, whether it's legal or not, and whether it requires a permit or not. Less than 1%, actually. Like it or not, most folks just do NOT have the desire to openly carry their gun, regardless of the laws on the matter. They would rather carry it concealed under most circumstances for any number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Richieg150 View Post
    The NRA does NOT have a "CCW instructor" discipline. There is no such thing as an NRA Certified CCW Instructor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast