• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taco Via in Lee's Summit, MO - To Funny

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
So me and the family wanted to try something new and we decided on Taco Via, so we loaded the kids up and headed over. So we get there and NO SIGN so im good. We start off by noticing that is a very religious place, they have the last supper and the ten commandment on the wall and as I get up to the counter, laugh and point out that its funny all the religious items and the register has "6.66" on the display LOL

So we ordered and got our food, as we are eating the manager walks out from the back and after a couple minutes walks over to me and asked if im "licensed". I reply no need and my wife jumps in that if legal to open carry.

The manager a middle aged lady, tells me she is licensed and is always carrying, and that my instructor should have told me I should not carry into businesses. She told I could tal my gun out to the car and come back in and finish my food and I replied I would just leave due to risk of theft, from someone seeing me put my gun in the car. She said no that wont happen to just put in under the seat, she always does.

after a minute of debt she stated I could stay this time and finish my food but would have to leave it in the car next time, but she will have to put her gun on the counter while Im there LOL yes she said that, I told her I would just leave and take my business elsewhere. She at this point just ased me to leave and she would get us a box. I said no need. and we left. as I was leaving I herd her talking to someone that she was going to make a sign to post at the door.

there was a lot said but she was to funny to debt with, she said that me OCing was brandishing and she didnt now me from adam and that I could pull my gun and rob the place, at that point I saw what kind of a person she was, she took the class bought a gun and carries it probably never even shoot it LOL

The ignorance of the CCW community is painful, this was the most entertaining OC situation I have had, there was many time I could not help but laugh at her, I tried so hard to hold back but she was to funny.

So if you need a good laugh eat at Taco Via the food sucks but you get a good laugh.

sorry for the format watching movie and typing LOL

Attachments

• tacovia.jpg
    tacovia.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 135

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
With all the "debt" going around, you figure she might want your money. It's a shame that she will lose out on so many law abiding customers. I agree with whoever said you should contact their corporate office. Should have given her one of the no guns=no money cards.

Lord Sega

One thing to think about...

So a manager who is a gun owner not knowing the laws? Unfortunately a common thread. :banghead:

What jumped out at me, and what I would have commented on, is this:

"She told I could take my gun out to the car and come back in and finish my food and I replied I would just leave due to risk of theft, from someone seeing me put my gun in the car. She said no that wont happen to just put it under the seat, she always does."

Now you were trying out a new restaurant, you don't know her and she don't know you, and she just told you where you can find her gun unattended during her working hours.

I would have pointed this out to her. I would have also asked if the no weapons policy is Taco Via's policy, the individual store owner's policy, or her personal policy.
And like xdmcompact said, I would definitely write a nice letter to corporate asking what is Taco Via's official policy really is.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Now you were trying out a new restaurant, you don't know her and she don't know you, and she just told you where you can find her gun unattended during her working hours.

And, anybody else who happens to read this forum.

And, anybody in her company who googles that company name to see what sort of internet presence they have. Hope she's allowed to have one on company property.

Superlite27

correct me if i'm wrong. Isn't an unholstered gun ON the counter considered Brandishing?

I'm unsure, but if not, it still appears very.....strange.

"I feel that nobody should be able to see firearms in public. So if I see one, I shall put mine on the counter for all to see, as well."

Brilliant. Now there's TWO firearms in sight. Evidently, she is unaware that this is the opposite direction from the goal she wishes to achieve.

Richieg150

If I understand brandishing, I believe it is pointing or waving your firearm in a threatening manner. Now who makes the determinazation of what exactly a threatening manner is, is the problem. I was told by a LEO, for what its worth, that drawing your weapon, pointing it or holding it up, or waving it, would get you cited for brandishing, by that LEO.....

Fallschirjmäger

Absent a definition in the Missouri code, it falls to the lexicographical definition of "brandishing"
- to wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly.
- to display ostentatiously
- to shake or wave, as a weapon; flourish: Brandishing his sword, he rode into battle.

Missouri Revised Statutes 571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
(4) Exhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner

One might note certain key elements of what constitutes 'brandishing'.

Last edited:

SavageOne

Absent a definition in the Missouri code, it falls to the lexicographical definition of "brandishing"
- to wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly.
- to display ostentatiously
- to shake or wave, as a weapon; flourish: Brandishing his sword, he rode into battle.

Missouri Revised Statutes 571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
(4) Exhibits, in the presence of one or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner

One might note certain key elements of what constitutes 'brandishing'.

If a person says they are are going to exhibit a weapon on the counter of their establishment, because of you legally carrying your firearm openly, then I would say they are definitely "threatening" you.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Firearms ownership is a responsibility, plain and simple.

You should NEVER leave a firearm where another might indeed take control of it that has no knowledge or training, doing so is VERY dangerous.

If some child, like the one the other day who said "oh cool, you carry your bb gun with you" about my 6" S&W stainless 357, it is very believable he would have picked up my "bb gun" to play with, a HUGE disaster with a firearm.

These are some of the discussions a good ccw instructor has with persons regarding fanny pack carry, purse carry or other manner of carry in which your firearm can be separated from your person, it requires a MUCH higher level of responsibility to prevent disastrous results.

It is sad she was not trained better or she failed to take the training serious and put into practice what the instructor taught which ever the case may be. She is indeed the type you read about when their firearm is taken from them by a criminal or child.

Tony4310

Not sure how laying her firearm on the counter was helping her argument any. If anything, it made her look even stupider and irresponsible!

REALteach4u

Comsec,

It's the OC'er targeting the CCW community that's ignorant, we're here for the same purpose and until the OC and CCW folks get that they'll continue targeting one another. You should have discontinued the conversation, asked for a refund of your purchase, and left. Then get that business added to the Do Not Patronize list.

It certainly would have been nice if you could have somehow gotten her to divulge who her instructor was. We truly need to start identifying the knuckleheads that are telling folks that OC is illegal and that OC'ing is brandishing. The facts should be there and if an instructor is going to discuss anything like OC they should have the statutes to back it up.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
It's such a shame to have so many in our firearms community that are actually against freedom. It really grinds my gears.

ManInBlack

In my opinion, those who carry concealed under a permit, and feel that they are so much better for having groveled before and kissed the ring of government, are more dangerous than your average non-carrying statist.

Richieg150

You may find that more CCW instructors than you would otherwise think hold these views (OC bad, CCW good) and these views translate into their courses in subtle ways, and some not so subtle ways.

I was told by my CCW instructor, that was blessed, ordained, certified, or whatever the NRA does to their CCW instructors....that open carrying was illegal and not to do it. But that was five years ago....

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
I was told by my CCW instructor, that was blessed, ordained, certified, or whatever the NRA does to their CCW instructors....that open carrying was illegal and not to do it. But that was five years ago....

I just always figured the instructors feel they have to tell people that so people will tell there friends they have to take the class and the instructor keeps making money, if they tell people they dont need a permission to carry, many people may ask for a refund LOL