• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fishing pier carry. ??

doug23838

A question from a neighbor to the north.

Some of the NC carry laws baffle me, and, I'm not fully versed in them.

My question is around the prohibition on "places that charge admission."

Is this intended to apply to night clubs and not places like fishing piers, festivals, antique shows, car shows, etc. ??? Intentions aside, DOES it apply to those places ?

M

mattwestm

If a fee is charged for admission. Also where alcohol is sold and served. Piers have both.

This is why this "admission" law is so vague. You can't carry at a cinema, but you can carry at range because you are paying to use the range and not really admission. I'd argue that the pier is the same way. You are paying to use the pier, not really to attend anything. However, car shows are considered admission because you aren't paying to use anything. I wonder how we get to carry at gun shows where you pay an admission fee?

Vague NC laws suck!

ocgso

It is also against the law to carry at large gatherings (listed in the CCH statutes). It is also rather vague, but mentions parades. This could also rule out things like gun shows and car shows (even if there was no admission, because it is a gathering).

Simply put, if you are concerned about it, don't carry anywhere that you have to pay to be. But I am not a lawyer..........

Last edited:

edrolee

i look at the admission law this way, if you can go and have free access with out paying money then it's not admission and as long as it doesn't fall under any of the other categories then your good to go

for example, when i was younger you could go and walk out on a pier all you want but you had to pay to fish from it, in other words you were paying a usage fee but admission to the pier was free.

another example is a golf course, you can ride/walk along with someone who is playing for free if your not playing your self, HOWEVER if the course has a "beer girl" ridding around in a cart selling beer all across the course then you probably couldn't carry but if they were only selling beer at the 19th they your probably good

NC laws are very vague (most likely intentionally that way) and i'm not a lawyer so i'm just throwing in my $0.02

muccione

i look at the admission law this way, if you can go and have free access with out paying money then it's not admission and as long as it doesn't fall under any of the other categories then your good to go

for example, when i was younger you could go and walk out on a pier all you want but you had to pay to fish from it, in other words you were paying a usage fee but admission to the pier was free.

another example is a golf course, you can ride/walk along with someone who is playing for free if your not playing your self, HOWEVER if the course has a "beer girl" ridding around in a cart selling beer all across the course then you probably couldn't carry but if they were only selling beer at the 19th they your probably good

NC laws are very vague (most likely intentionally that way) and i'm not a lawyer so i'm just throwing in my $0.02

Just so you know. all property on a golf course is an extension of the club house. Therefore alcohol is sold and consumed. NO CARRY.

CharlieOneFourDelta

I've been on most of the fishing piers in NC.
Most of them (nowdays) charge you just to walk on their pier, so I'd think that would be "admission". There's still a few who only charge you if you are fishing, so I'd consider that paying for a privlege, not admission.

Decades ago they didn't charge this admission until all the teenagers decided the pier was a cool place to hang out. When the piers all filled up with kids horseplaying and running the (paying) fishermen off, they started charging everyone, even the "lookers" in order to keep the kids away.