• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC / CC in Exton

red_eagle

I'm going to start school in Exton this January and I have 2 questions:
1. How much of a hassle is it to open carry there?

2. If I decide to CC there how many cops can I expect to know about the reciprosity agreement with Texas? Thats who issed my permit.

lprgcFrank

I work in Exton and OC every day without issue

I started working in Exton a couple months ago and OC everywhere. No issues. Welcome to the area. Look me up when you get here.

AFCop

Be weary of West Whiteland PD

Chester County is one of the more Liberal counties in Pa. I was walking around the Exton Mall OCing with my wife and kids (4 - very "dangerous" looking) when I turned around there were two security guards. Their first question "Are you a cop or something" my response "or something" His next comment "Did you know carrying a gun here is illegal" my response "No it is not as I hand him a copy of the flyer from PAOC. He then proceeds to pull a card out with the Mall rules.... I felt bad but I started laughing and said those are rules not laws. He then asked me to leave. With the dealign I had with WWPD in 2006 I decided to avoid a trespass charge and leave, and they were even nice enough to walk me to my car. They did ask me to "Cover up" and I said since they were asking me to leave I would do no such thing.

Now without going into too much detail, I was detained by WWPD for carrying a concealed weapon with my Texas CHL becuase the cops didn't know there was a reciprocity agreement. Even though I handed them a printed copy, I had to sit in the back of a cop car for almost an hour while they verified my information. While it could of been worse, they could have taken me straight to Chester County Prison and that would have really sucked...

The real kick in the gut was after they verified I was legal they decided that because I was visibly upset that they would hold onto my firearm until the next day when I time to calm down.... Me being new to CC and OC I took that square on the chin and believe me THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!

For the most part whenever I am home (from Coatesville) I OC everywhere I go (I have to get my fill cause we can't do that here in Texas) so good luck to you and maybe next time I am up we can OC lunch at the Mall or someplace else in Exton.