• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Met some nice LEO after grocery shopping!

AlexMayhem

I was picking up groceries last night when in line at the register an employee of the store (presumably some sort of manager) approached me.
Mgr: Are you allowed to have that in here?
Me: Yes sir.
Mgr: Are you an off-duty cop or something (I love that question as cops don't wear beards or long hair like I do)?
Me:My profession does not matter, I have a right to carry. (I thought about educating him that the store has the right not to let me OC - that thought mysteriously disappeared . . .).
Mgr: Okay, well I'll find out about that.
I got rang up for my food, paid and in the parking lot as I pushed my cart back to the return rack and headed to my car to leave I saw 3 Kennewick Police cruisers approach I got to make new friends!
It's been a long time since this happened, but the officers did not ask for ID, they did not want to take my weapon and did not give me the "You should Concealed Carry" speach. I had not been approached by these officers before, but they knew who I was and my reputation with the department is that I am co-operative so I feel that is a big part of why they were chill with me. I had been watching a lot of youtube videos of OCers being detained lately, and I think they have jaded me some - when I first saw the police cruisers I had intended on being somewhat of an as . . . jerk, refusing my name, requesting to leave if I was not being detained et cetera. However, the polite manner they approached me prompted me to act in kind. I think it will speak volumes in this community if us OCers develop a relationship of trust with the LEO, show them that we aren't part of some anti-gov't seperatist movement, rather that we are a well-educated and mannered minority of Americans whom practice basic (yet fundamental) Americanism. Every encounter in the future I intend on giving LEO less and less, in that they will not get me to disclose my name, I will not share why I carry, I will ask to be on my way.
The best part about this encounter was my local OC brothers educated me a good deal during our picnic last month so I bought a voice recorder. I had it on the whole time and nobody was wise to it. I'll try and attach the audio file when I figure out how to do that on here.
My thanks and respect to all of you who have been involved in OC longer than I, who have had the patience to educate the young bucks like me. It's an honor to fight this good (albeit silly in that we shouldn't need to fight for it) fight for our freedoms.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

X-
Kozak

PS- help with attaching an audio file to this thread would be nice. I'm a young fella, but I don't interweb much.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like a good encounter. We need some of those considering some of the other LEO stories going around this week (Ohio). I would love to hear the audio. As for uploading it to the forum. a lot of people upload it to youtube and then post the link here. Good luck.

amzbrady

Where were you at Alex? We inhabit just about the same area. The last time I was in Albertsons on clearwater, I was waiting in line and one of the checkers opened a new lane and asked me if I would like to move over, that I was next. I stayed where I was because that would have moved my strong side away from any other checkers. I went through with nothing said. I am going to try to find out what days Garda pick up and just happen to be there.

I know some guys convert their audio to an MP3 and then post it.

sudden valley gunner

Good story Alex. Don't fall for the trap though that not "cooperating" makes you jerk. Most police will approach you politely at first. When you use your right not to identify or to be simply left alone, then their true colors will appear. You will find many suddenly are not so polite. And you will find some will simply abide by the law and your rights. If a stranger approached you and asked for ID and your name would you feel like a jerk not complying?

AlexMayhem

Appreciate all of the input!

I'm still new to this OC world, though I've done it for a while now I'm finally learning the extent of my rights. As such it's been a slow transition in implementing them - you're all right though, no more name giving.
AMZ- the store was grocery outlet in downtown Kenn. First issue I've had there. I've had one of the checkers hold up his line talking guns with me a few weeks back.
Still trying to convert/host audio, should be up next week sometime when I'm not working.

X-
Kozak

amzbrady

Ah, you right around the corner from me. I pop in there all the time. I like walking around there humming our National Anthem or America the Beautiful. Man talk about some funny looks. I had a clerk that was trying to say something to me in there about a week ago, and I started pushing the number 1 on the card machine. The clerk at the next isle asked if I was having a problem getting my card to work and that I needed to slide it before pushing numbers. I told her I was just pushing 1 for english. I have fun when I'm there.

I really wish they would put a vote on the ballot for a national language.

Going down 4th further, I've been in the Texaco, Schucks, Big 5, And Taco Johns. I still dont know what Autozone will do, Gunr is still waiting on their policy as far as I know. About 2 1/2 weeks ago one of my co workers said he saw someone with a revolver in their belt. I wished I would have saw them, I like to at least mention OCDO...

AlexMayhem

Ah, you right around the corner from me. I pop in there all the time. I like walking around there humming our National Anthem or America the Beautiful. Man talk about some funny looks. I had a clerk that was trying to say something to me in there about a week ago, and I started pushing the number 1 on the card machine. The clerk at the next isle asked if I was having a problem getting my card to work and that I needed to slide it before pushing numbers. I told her I was just pushing 1 for english. I have fun when I'm there.

I really wish they would put a vote on the ballot for a national language.

Going down 4th further, I've been in the Texaco, Schucks, Big 5, And Taco Johns. I still dont know what Autozone will do, Gunr is still waiting on their policy as far as I know. About 2 1/2 weeks ago one of my co workers said he saw someone with a revolver in their belt. I wished I would have saw them, I like to at least mention OCDO...

Downtown Kennewick has always treated me well as far as OC goes, particularly the gas stations. My employer doesn't allow firearms in their parking lot so on working days I have to leave Alexis at home - if I stop at the Sunmart or the Tesoro before/after work I always get the strange eye because I'm unnarmed.
I figure the manager at Grocery Outlet just got spooked, doubt any customers complained. Not to offend anyone that may read this, but anyplace I've ever shopped that has a lot of Hispanic customers has never had Johnny Law waiting outside. Thinking back, the two times I was in public (with people around) that I've been detained have been at a predominantly caucasian patroned store, and during an event mostly attended by caucasians. I don't want to start some sort of immigration debate, but I think the Hispanic community has a much more lenient view (in my experience) with people carrying a firearm. Perhaps real guns are more welcome in the Hispanic culture whereas in America only the cops can OC (think of all the times any of you have been asked "Are you a cop?")
Well Mr. AMZ, I'm sure that I'm going to eat the food I bought at Grocery Outlet unless I spontaneously develop the means to sustain myself via photosynthesis . . . maybe I'll have eaten all my food by this Thursday or Friday! And maybe, just maybe (because it is a small worl after all) we run into each other at the Grocery Outlet! At the end of my convo with KPD I told them that for the record (didn't tell them on the voice recorder) the manager did not tell me I could not return to the store OC. I may or may not return there again OC. They affirmed I could and I'm ready for round tw- to buy more groceries on Thursday or Friday.

X-
Kozak

amzbrady

Downtown Kennewick has always treated me well as far as OC goes, particularly the gas stations. My employer doesn't allow firearms in their parking lot so on working days I have to leave Alexis at home - if I stop at the Sunmart or the Tesoro before/after work I always get the strange eye because I'm unnarmed.
I figure the manager at Grocery Outlet just got spooked, doubt any customers complained. Not to offend anyone that may read this, but anyplace I've ever shopped that has a lot of Hispanic customers has never had Johnny Law waiting outside. Thinking back, the two times I was in public (with people around) that I've been detained have been at a predominantly caucasian patroned store, and during an event mostly attended by caucasians. I don't want to start some sort of immigration debate, but I think the Hispanic community has a much more lenient view (in my experience) with people carrying a firearm. Perhaps real guns are more welcome in the Hispanic culture whereas in America only the cops can OC (think of all the times any of you have been asked "Are you a cop?")
Well Mr. AMZ, I'm sure that I'm going to eat the food I bought at Grocery Outlet unless I spontaneously develop the means to sustain myself via photosynthesis . . . maybe I'll have eaten all my food by this Thursday or Friday! And maybe, just maybe (because it is a small worl after all) we run into each other at the Grocery Outlet! At the end of my convo with KPD I told them that for the record (didn't tell them on the voice recorder) the manager did not tell me I could not return to the store OC. I may or may not return there again OC. They affirmed I could and I'm ready for round tw- to buy more groceries on Thursday or Friday.

X-
Kozak

I dont think it's the hispanics have a more lenient view, I just think they are afriad if they call the law they will be deported. You have to consider the higher than normal concentration of illegals here.

the_hustleman