Thread: Remove "no guns" signs @ national wildlife refuge site

Remove "no guns" signs @ national wildlife refuge site

Hi, im not from Maine, but recently visited the Moosehorn national wildlife refuge outside of Calias. I was surprised to see the no firearms sign on the front door of the visitor building.

Is there any reason that Moosehorn would not fall under recent change in the NPS & wildlife refuge policy on carrying?

If not, I'll be contacting Moosehorn to politely ask them to remove the sign.

Thanks
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RichV View Post
    Hi, im not from Maine, but recently visited the Moosehorn national wildlife refuge outside of Calias. I was surprised to see the no firearms sign on the front door of the visitor building.

Is there any reason that Moosehorn would not fall under recent change in the NPS & wildlife refuge policy on carrying?

If not, I'll be contacting Moosehorn to politely ask them to remove the sign.

Thanks
    ----------
    The new law does not take effect until September I believe.

The law went into effect Feb, 22, 2010. I'll contact them.

Thanks!

Upon reading the full text, they can prohibit carry in a visitors center. I'll not be contacting them.

Anyhow, it's been great visiting Maine. Y'all have a beautiful state.

-----
    While possession on a refuge may generally be allowed under state law, possession of firearms will remain prohibited in Federal facilities. Examples include: visitor centers, refuge administrative office buildings, refuge maintenance offices and workshops, field and backcountry offices, ranger stations and fee collection stations.

I think you'll find wildlife refuge' have different protections. Very busy this weekend but will follow up next week.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Quote Originally Posted by RichV View Post
    The law went into effect Feb, 22, 2010. I'll contact them.

Thanks!
    Sorry I misread your post I thought it was a state park, not a national refuge.

There was a recent law passed in Maine regarding State Parks that doesn't go into effect until September.

Visitors will be allowed to possess firearms on National Wildlife Refuges provided they comply with applicable provisions of federal, state and local law. Persons with so-called firearm "carry" permits will be able to possess firearms on a refuge in accordance with the provisions of the state issued permit. The new law applies to all 551 units of the National Wildlife Refuge System, as well as the National Monuments and the 392 units of the National Park System.
    SOURCE
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063