• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remove "no guns" signs @ national wildlife refuge site

RichV

Hi, im not from Maine, but recently visited the Moosehorn national wildlife refuge outside of Calias. I was surprised to see the no firearms sign on the front door of the visitor building.

Is there any reason that Moosehorn would not fall under recent change in the NPS & wildlife refuge policy on carrying?

If not, I'll be contacting Moosehorn to politely ask them to remove the sign.

Thanks
----------

boyscout399

Hi, im not from Maine, but recently visited the Moosehorn national wildlife refuge outside of Calias. I was surprised to see the no firearms sign on the front door of the visitor building.

Is there any reason that Moosehorn would not fall under recent change in the NPS & wildlife refuge policy on carrying?

If not, I'll be contacting Moosehorn to politely ask them to remove the sign.

Thanks
----------

The new law does not take effect until September I believe.

RichV

Upon reading the full text, they can prohibit carry in a visitors center. I'll not be contacting them.

Anyhow, it's been great visiting Maine. Y'all have a beautiful state.

-----
While possession on a refuge may generally be allowed under state law, possession of firearms will remain prohibited in Federal facilities. Examples include: visitor centers, refuge administrative office buildings, refuge maintenance offices and workshops, field and backcountry offices, ranger stations and fee collection stations.

boyscout399

The law went into effect Feb, 22, 2010. I'll contact them.

Thanks!

Sorry I misread your post I thought it was a state park, not a national refuge.

There was a recent law passed in Maine regarding State Parks that doesn't go into effect until September.

Maine CWP Training

Visitors will be allowed to possess firearms on National Wildlife Refuges provided they comply with applicable provisions of federal, state and local law. Persons with so-called firearm "carry" permits will be able to possess firearms on a refuge in accordance with the provisions of the state issued permit. The new law applies to all 551 units of the National Wildlife Refuge System, as well as the National Monuments and the 392 units of the National Park System.

SOURCE