• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry, 7-Eleven 128th and Meridian

Crypto

I went out tonight, decided to take my sidearm with me. I carry a glock 21. When I arrived I kinda chuckled. I know, I know, I know racial profiling but hey. Any way there were a bunch of teenagers around. I walk in and every sees you as you walk in and you know your the topic of the night. I walk slowly over to the slurpee machine as my son wanted a cherry slurpee. Spent about 5 minutes dinking around with the machine turn around and the whole store is looking me. I walk over to the water area and grab a water and a mocha. Then walk to the counter. Everyone is saying hi sir, hello sir, how you doing sir. How is your night going. I was like damn, I'm I the president. lol Anyway just wanted to point out that when you open carry everyone reacts different around you. Its kinda scary really. I always think that someone is going to reach around behind me and grab my side arm when I open carry.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I always find that no one is paying attention to me when I open carry. Either they don't notice or they don't care. That almost scares me more because people are that oblivious. Well at least you didn't have any problems and you raised some awareness.

Last edited:

Crypto

Well I carried openly for along time, and then stopped. Reason is the Glock 21 is a very big bulky pistol. I'm actually wanting to sell it and buy a kimber 1911 3" with a aluminum frame. I need something light and small easier to conceal during the summer. Maybe, this is a good time in my life to just buy more pistols. One for each season.

I'm always worried about someone grabbing my weapon because I have a combat holster with no retention. I should get one with retention but it just makes it that much more bulky to carry with it. Thats what I don't like.

just_a_car

Well I carried openly for along time, and then stopped. Reason is the Glock 21 is a very big bulky pistol. I'm actually wanting to sell it and buy a kimber 1911 3" with a aluminum frame. I need something light and small easier to conceal during the summer. Maybe, this is a good time in my life to just buy more pistols. One for each season.

I'm always worried about someone grabbing my weapon because I have a combat holster with no retention. I should get one with retention but it just makes it that much more bulky to carry with it. Thats what I don't like.

I highly suggest getting something like (or just getting) the Blackhawk Serpa CQC platform: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wMatte-Finish,1145,1410.htm

I love that it is so easy to draw and return to holster, but that the retention is outstanding. You will give yourself a bruising wedgy before you break the firearm out of this holster.

It's darn cheap bad-guy insurance.

SpyderTattoo

I carry a Glock 21 alot too. I have mine in a SERPA holster and it's just fine. That gun was made for open carry it seems. I would discourage you from selling it to get a Kimber. I used to have a Kimber, 5" Tactical Custom II, which had the aluminum frame. I traded up to the G21 and am glad I did.

I know many people have good experiences with Kimber, but I didn't trust that gun with my life. It had many feeding issues that I just couldn't work out. If you don't trust your carry gun to shoot every time, it shouldn't be a carry gun.

Now I carry both a G21 and a G30 (both .45 ACP), [not at the same time, mind you] and trust them both completely.

My personal opinion is, keep the G21, but if I was going to get another 1911 I'd probably get one of the Springfield models.

On another note, I might be down at Renton River Days street festival today. I'll have my big brick of a G21 on me...

amlevin

I'll have my big brick of a G21 on me...

Can't be a bigger brick than my CZ75 SP-01. At almost 2# when empty it's still a useful weapon, a club. When loaded, having 20 rounds without reloading is a secure feeling. I like to carry it when OC'ing and my Sig P229 when concealing.

As for size of pistols, when open carrying, it's funny how full sized pistols like the G21 or CZ75, along with all the 1911's, don't really seem all that large. Yes, they might be harder to conceal but when concealment isn't an issue????

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I carry a Glock 21 alot too. I have mine in a SERPA holster and it's just fine. That gun was made for open carry it seems. I would discourage you from selling it to get a Kimber.<snip> On another note, I might be down at Renton River Days street festival today. I'll have my big brick of a G21 on me...

Perhaps I will see you today.....

<snip>.... I like to carry it when OC'ing and my Sig P229 when concealing.

I also carry my Sig P229 when I OC and a Sig P250 when I CC...

I think that your body size also determines what you can OC/CC easily and comfortably. I will reiterate what SpyderTattoo said, don't get a Kimber for everyday carry, I have seen 3 of them FTF and you need a gun that goes bang 100% of the time. Both a Glock and a Sig have that reliability.

Jeff Hayes

Perhaps I will see you today.....

I also carry my Sig P229 when I OC and a Sig P250 when I CC...

I think that your body size also determines what you can OC/CC easily and comfortably. I will reiterate what SpyderTattoo said, don't get a Kimber for everyday carry, I have seen 3 of them FTF and you need a gun that goes bang 100% of the time. Both a Glock and a Sig have that reliability.

Funny, My Kimber Eclipse Custom II in 10mm has never had a malfunction, 2000+ rounds down the pipe, goes bang every time. I have fed it every thing from reloads to high dollar defensive rounds. I can count the malfunctions that I have had with all of my pistols over a 40 year span on both hands. Why is it some folks seem to have problems and others do not? I know a guy that has gone through 30+ pistols because they all malfunction on him. Malfunctions should be few and far between with most modern firearms.

The one thing I will agree on is dont carry anything you dont trust or that you have had problems with.

Crypto

Thank you for the comments guys. Also thank you for the links. Don't have to much time this morning to talk. Just wanted to say everyone fill out there unemployment. lmao... o man...
I've been unemployment way to long...

DocWalker

Thus goes the saying that "A armed sociaty is a polite sociaty"

As for everyone being polite, if you are dressed really nice they might have thought you where LEO. I'm a medical guy and where dress shrt (usally with tie) and dress pants with shoes, short hair (23 years in the USAF has made that a habit). I get people mistaking me for LEO all the time, a few of the convientent stores told me that LEO doesn't have to pay for coffee as I go to the counter to pay. I have to tell them I'm not LEO and pay for my coffee....big laugh. But I'm polite and dressed well so either people are polite or just ignore me.

I have a springfield XD 40 in a serpa holster I used to carry but after picking up a Tauras 24/7 40 that my friend was going to pawn I now carry it. After shooting it a few times I found it to be more accurate and more comfortable to carry than the XD. Mind you this was my first Tauras as I never really was into them. I own about 20 pistols and my wife also carries but usally concealed. She has been fighting me for my Tauras 24/7 as she likes it the best also....dam I find one I like ant the wife wants it.

Metalhead47

Carry crossdraw. Been doing it that way with my equally-brick-like .45 Tanfoglio for a while now. Anyone trying to grab your gun would have to be in front of you. MUCH better for driving too, doesn't dig into your kidney, doesn't bang on the console or seatbelt latch, and makes it possible to draw even when buckled in.

hermannr

Don't worry about conceal, worry about retention. Sounds like new holster time, not new gun time. I don't particularly like Glock, buy hey, they work and if you are practiced and comfortable with it, keep it. Honest men do not hide that they are armed.

When you purchase your new holster think about this: Will it blend in with what I normally wear? that is, don't get a light coloured holster if you normally wear dark clothing, or V/V. Think about LE, they almost all have darker uniforms, and black holsters..no?

Whitney

How is the fit?

I highly suggest getting something like (or just getting) the Blackhawk Serpa CQC platform: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wMatte-Finish,1145,1410.htm

I love that it is so easy to draw and return to holster, but that the retention is outstanding. You will give yourself a bruising wedgy before you break the firearm out of this holster.

It's darn cheap bad-guy insurance.

How do you like the blackhawk holster with regard to how it rides?
I carry in a custom molded holster with no retention as well. I have never been too concerned about the "bad guys" getting a grip on my side arm, times are changing though. What I once considered safe has changed over my lifetime.

I checked out the link and would be interested in getting one for my PX4 Storm.
I would like a holster I can carry in the woods with my backpack as well as in the car belted.

~Whitney

View attachment 6445

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
How do you like the blackhawk holster with regard to how it rides?
I carry in a custom molded holster with no retention as well. I have never been too concerned about the "bad guys" getting a grip on my side arm, times are changing though. What I once considered safe has changed over my lifetime.

I checked out the link and would be interested in getting one for my PX4 Storm.
I would like a holster I can carry in the woods with my backpack as well as in the car belted.

~Whitney

View attachment 6445

I have several Blackhawk holsters for different firearms. They ride really well, especially with the paddle attachment. Very comfortable. Once you practice with them, they become really natural to use as well.

sudden valley gunner

Funny, My Kimber Eclipse Custom II in 10mm has never had a malfunction, 2000+ rounds down the pipe, goes bang every time. I have fed it every thing from reloads to high dollar defensive rounds. I can count the malfunctions that I have had with all of my pistols over a 40 year span on both hands. Why is it some folks seem to have problems and others do not? I know a guy that has gone through 30+ pistols because they all malfunction on him. Malfunctions should be few and far between with most modern firearms.

The one thing I will agree on is dont carry anything you dont trust or that you have had problems with.

With my glock there was a break in period it would keep jamming with the wolf ammo the shop sold me when I bought it, and ammo with steel casing. After putting a few hundred rounds through it, it now has no problem with steel casing, although I stick to brass.