• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to open carry with a few questions

patrickfpsd

as i am new to open carry living in the hartford, west bend, menoninee falls area of wisconsin i was just wondering if there are any municipalitys in this area that have bans on open carry. also if you can not open carry in a vehical because it is considered concealed carry can you open carry on a motorcyle? since that is still out in the open or is that still considered a vehical and against the law?

Shorin21

You cannot oc on a motorcycle at all until Nov 1. Its still considered a vehicle and needs to be unloaded and encased. as far as the cities i haven't seen any that are banning oc, however there are still ordinances that prohibit it which unenforceable.

patrickfpsd

You cannot oc on a motorcycle at all until Nov 1. Its still considered a vehicle and needs to be unloaded and encased. as far as the cities i haven't seen any that are banning oc, however there are still ordinances that prohibit it which unenforceable.

how can i find out which areas have ordinances prohibiting it and what do you mean unenforceable?

patrickfpsd

so even tho its "prohibited" its still leagal? just trying to make sure i understand all the leagalitys first. thanks

jimd_21

Welcome aboard, learn all you can about the law and practices of LEO. And have a thick skin because some of the members here can be rude and ignorant, and have discouraged a lot of members from posting experiences or questions.

patrickfpsd

Welcome aboard, learn all you can about the law and practices of LEO. And have a thick skin because some of the members here can be rude and ignorant, and have discouraged a lot of members from posting experiences or questions.

thanks! im tring to read up as much as i can so i know my facts and rights. theres alot of information out there thats very helpfull!

blaze

I think alot of them got nuked recently.

protias

as i am new to open carry living in the hartford, west bend, menoninee falls area of wisconsin i was just wondering if there are any municipalitys in this area that have bans on open carry. also if you can not open carry in a vehical because it is considered concealed carry can you open carry on a motorcyle? since that is still out in the open or is that still considered a vehical and against the law?

You can OC everywhere except in a car (must be unloaded and encased), in a place that serves alcohol for consumption (unless you have permission from the owner or the manager that is on duty for that time), 1000' of a school, state parks, and public buildings (including the bathrooms in your local city park). When Nov 1 comes around, you will be able to vehicle carry without a permit (watch out for school zones though). With a permit, you will be able to carry in places that serve alcohol (cannot drink while concealed, not sure about OC), government buildings will be okay except for police stations, state patrol offices, jails, and court houses (unless you get permission from a judge), within the magical 1000' of a school (cannot be on the property though), and you will be able to carry in state parks (don't know if you need a permit or not).

See my signature for all your needed information.

jimd_21

^^ Protias

this is awesome...someone who is willing to lay the law out for you in black and white and not give harassment or belittle the OP, and try to correct grammar, punctuation, spelling or the construction of a sentence...

Their are to many that have nothing to do except be language and spelling teachers on here.

+1000 to Protias

patrickfpsd

You can OC everywhere except in a car (must be unloaded and encased), in a place that serves alcohol for consumption (unless you have permission from the owner or the manager that is on duty for that time), 1000' of a school, state parks, and public buildings (including the bathrooms in your local city park). When Nov 1 comes around, you will be able to vehicle carry without a permit (watch out for school zones though). With a permit, you will be able to carry in places that serve alcohol (cannot drink while concealed, not sure about OC), government buildings will be okay except for police stations, state patrol offices, jails, and court houses (unless you get permission from a judge), within the magical 1000' of a school (cannot be on the property though), and you will be able to carry in state parks (don't know if you need a permit or not).

See my signature for all your needed information.

thanks you for all the great information. and yes thanks for not correcting my poor spelling and typing errors! lol

protias

^^ Protias

this is awesome...someone who is willing to lay the law out for you in black and white and not give harassment or belittle the OP, and try to correct grammar, punctuation, spelling or the construction of a sentence...

Their are to many that have nothing to do except be language and spelling teachers on here.

+1000 to Protias

It's protias, not Protias! :mad: Just kidding. :p I try to help as much as possible. There are a few who know Act 35/SB93 better than I, so I am fully aware that I may get some things wrong as I have not studied the new law as much as them.

thanks you for all the great information. and yes thanks for not correcting my poor spelling and typing errors! lol

If you ever need someone to carry with, check out this thread:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1580461

I am on there, so if you want to carry with someone, let me know. :)

Lurchiron

^^ Protias

+1000 to Protias

More bees with honey...more bees with honey.

Honey also soothes throats worn raw by whining...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kliy32YWFcU
View attachment 6446 Just ask Paulie...forgetaboutit!!! :cool:

Last edited:

protias

sorry just giving the respect that has been earned.... protias... won't happen again lol :)

Haha, not a problem my friend. As long as people are nice, I am helpful. If you are ever in the SE WI area, let me know. :)

jimd_21

Haha, not a problem my friend. As long as people are nice, I am helpful. If you are ever in the SE WI area, let me know. :)

Could have been a possibility of me being their for work....but the company i work for sold their plant their so that dream of visiting the Packers stadium died...even tho i am a niners fan. but you never know were one travels will take them.

Motofixxer

Welcome to the board...I would also suggest visit my New to OC in WI thread Here for more info and as a good reference. There is lot's of valuable information there. Soak it all in, knowledge is power. The page is linked below in my Signature.

Archangel

so even tho its "prohibited" its still leagal? just trying to make sure i understand all the leagalitys first. thanks
Yeah and it's even legal... :banana:

I'm assuming you meant:

This is awesome. Someone who is willing to lay the law out for you in black and white, and not give harassment or belittle the OP, or try to correct grammar, punctuation, spelling or the construction of a sentence...

There are too many that have nothing to do except be language and spelling teachers on here.

You have to admit you were asking for that one!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MKEgal

welcome aboard

You can also look at the 'legal' tab of http://www.wisconsincarry.org (upper right) to find links to PDFs of the actual WI laws so you can read them yourself (bottom of the pile, titled "WI legal citations").
(And to put in a plug, while you're there sign up for a membership & the email info list. As for why you should be a member, have a look at the other things on that 'legal' tab.)

66.0409 is the state preemption of all things firearm. No locality can have a firearms-related law any more strict than state law. I've heard that Men. Falls has a law on their books about not carrying in the city, but since it's more strict than state laws it's null & void.

So far people have told you rightly, but it's always best to check for yourself. Along the same lines, there's a link to a PDF of the new cc law in my sig, & several threads on this forum discussing the finer points of various aspects... sometimes with great vigor. :rolleyes:

Check out the various announcements of events, & come meet us.
We had a picnic today in Pewaukee, there's another one in Aug., regular meet-n-greets at Starbuck's in Delavan & Milwaukee, a trash pick-up along a stretch of highway... and if you're up for a nice ride, about every other week down in Kansasville (just SW of Milwaukee) we invade Lizzy's Cafe for fish fry.

Last edited: