Thread: Interesting comment from the Louisiana State Supreme Court circa 1850

Interesting comment from the Louisiana State Supreme Court circa 1850

From an analysis written by Jeffrey R. Snyder for the CATO on gun laws:

The Southern states that outlawed concealed-carry justified such laws, in theory, as a means of restricting the conduct of criminals, while leaving the law-abiding alone, free to carry honestly. In the words of the [Louisiana Supreme Court, laws prohibiting the concealed-carry of weapons

became absolutely necessary to counteract a vicious state of society, growing out of the habit of carrying concealed weapons, and to prevent bloodshed and assassinations committed upon unsuspecting persons. [Such laws] interfered with no man's right to carry arms . . . "in full open view," which places men upon an equality. This [open-carry] is the right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States, and which is calculated to incite men to manly and noble defense of themselves, if necessary, and of their country, without any tendency to secret advantages and unmanly assassination." [6]
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Seems they think that the founding fathers intended people to open carry. I still think the founding fathers would be okay with any kind of carry. Interesting indeed.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Here is a link to the full "Policy Analysis" http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/31267995

This analysis, and others can be found at the CATO Institute. http://www.cato.org/
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Interesting indeed. Thought-provoking too. I have to think that concealed carry as a concept really just amounts to a societal compromise. It is rather telling that the compromise involved "concealing" something.

Compromising just means surrendering your principles.

Come to think of it, it's sort of like "Don't Ask/Don't Tell".
    Last edited by kwiebe; 07-26-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwiebe View Post
    Interesting indeed. Thought-provoking too. I have to think that concealed carry as a concept really just amounts to a societal compromise. It is rather telling that the compromise involved "concealing" something.

Compromising just means surrendering your principles.

Come to think of it, it's sort of like "Don't Ask/Don't Tell".

Exactly! Compromise is not a good thing. You wouldn't want to go into a building that was compromised would you. Of course when I was growing up, it was taught in school that compromise is good because more can get done (FALSE). Really nothing gets accomplished when you compromise because no one ends up happy. It's much better to just do for yourself than to rely on others.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    It's much better to just do for yourself than to rely on others.
    But then what would we do with all the unemployed Government workers .

The tendency of everyone wanting to rely on Government has created an "Employer" that has approximately 12 Million employees. That makes Govenment, Federal and State, the larges employer in the US. Not bad for a "Company" that produces absolutely NOTHING.
    Last edited by amlevin; 07-27-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    But then what would we do with all the unemployed Government workers .

The tendency of everyone wanting to rely on Government has created an "Employer" that has approximately 12 Million employees. That makes Govenment, Federal and State, the larges employer in the US. Not bad for a "Company" that produces absolutely NOTHING.
    They would be forced to actually work and increase our productivity and economic strength. Then again many folks in the public sector don't know how to work very well.....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)