• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting comment from the Louisiana State Supreme Court circa 1850

amlevin

From an analysis written by Jeffrey R. Snyder for the CATO on gun laws:

The Southern states that outlawed concealed-carry justified such laws, in theory, as a means of restricting the conduct of criminals, while leaving the law-abiding alone, free to carry honestly. In the words of the [Louisiana Supreme Court, laws prohibiting the concealed-carry of weapons

became absolutely necessary to counteract a vicious state of society, growing out of the habit of carrying concealed weapons, and to prevent bloodshed and assassinations committed upon unsuspecting persons. [Such laws] interfered with no man's right to carry arms . . . "in full open view," which places men upon an equality. This [open-carry] is the right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States, and which is calculated to incite men to manly and noble defense of themselves, if necessary, and of their country, without any tendency to secret advantages and unmanly assassination." [6]

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Seems they think that the founding fathers intended people to open carry. I still think the founding fathers would be okay with any kind of carry. Interesting indeed.

kwiebe

Interesting indeed. Thought-provoking too. I have to think that concealed carry as a concept really just amounts to a societal compromise. It is rather telling that the compromise involved "concealing" something.

Compromising just means surrendering your principles.

Come to think of it, it's sort of like "Don't Ask/Don't Tell".

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Interesting indeed. Thought-provoking too. I have to think that concealed carry as a concept really just amounts to a societal compromise. It is rather telling that the compromise involved "concealing" something.

Compromising just means surrendering your principles.

Come to think of it, it's sort of like "Don't Ask/Don't Tell".

Exactly! Compromise is not a good thing. You wouldn't want to go into a building that was compromised would you. Of course when I was growing up, it was taught in school that compromise is good because more can get done (FALSE). Really nothing gets accomplished when you compromise because no one ends up happy. It's much better to just do for yourself than to rely on others.

amlevin

It's much better to just do for yourself than to rely on others.

But then what would we do with all the unemployed Government workers .

The tendency of everyone wanting to rely on Government has created an "Employer" that has approximately 12 Million employees. That makes Govenment, Federal and State, the larges employer in the US. Not bad for a "Company" that produces absolutely NOTHING.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

But then what would we do with all the unemployed Government workers .

The tendency of everyone wanting to rely on Government has created an "Employer" that has approximately 12 Million employees. That makes Govenment, Federal and State, the larges employer in the US. Not bad for a "Company" that produces absolutely NOTHING.

They would be forced to actually work and increase our productivity and economic strength. Then again many folks in the public sector don't know how to work very well.....