• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HR 2613 Introduced.

JoeSparky

Centurion
pretty cool.too bad it aint going anywhere... too many Rino's

Here is my letter to my Congressman:

"Congressman, Ron Paul has introduced HR 2613 which will repeal the Federal Gun Free School Zones which was originally enacted in 1990 by a Congress that overstepped its US CONSTITUTIONAL authority in usurping what should have been an area of law that should have been dealt with by the individual states. Please sign on as a co-sponsor and also support this legislation on the House Judiciary Committee of which you are a member. The current law makes it a Federal felony for a person to be within a 1000 foot radius from the property line of any K-12 school while carrying ANY firearm. It also makes it a crime to discharge any firearm FOR ANY REASON while in this Federal Gun Free School Zone (GFSZ). Only those person who are LICENSED by the State in which the School Zone is located are exempted. This License may not equate to a State Concealed Carry Permit unless certain criteria are met by the State prior to issuing the permit to the holder. The current legislation that HR 2613 would repeal is in my opinion UNCONSTITUTIONAL in the is a usurpment of what should be an Individual State issue, the designated boundary is arbitrary in that NO STATE delineates this boundary leading to inadvertent violations by individuals who don't know that a school is in the area, and finally, the only persons who are disarmed by this statute are those that are desiring to follow the law as Criminals by definition DON'T FOLLOW THE LAW. Please do all that you can do in support of HR2613. Thank you."

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Here is my letter to my Congressman:

"Congressman, Ron Paul has introduced HR 2613 which will repeal the Federal Gun Free School Zones which was originally enacted in 1990 by a Congress that overstepped its US CONSTITUTIONAL authority in usurping what should have been an area of law that should have been dealt with by the individual states. Please sign on as a co-sponsor and also support this legislation on the House Judiciary Committee of which you are a member. The current law makes it a Federal felony for a person to be within a 1000 foot radius from the property line of any K-12 school while carrying ANY firearm. It also makes it a crime to discharge any firearm FOR ANY REASON while in this Federal Gun Free School Zone (GFSZ). Only those person who are LICENSED by the State in which the School Zone is located are exempted. This License may not equate to a State Concealed Carry Permit unless certain criteria are met by the State prior to issuing the permit to the holder. The current legislation that HR 2613 would repeal is in my opinion UNCONSTITUTIONAL in the is a usurpment of what should be an Individual State issue, the designated boundary is arbitrary in that NO STATE delineates this boundary leading to inadvertent violations by individuals who don't know that a school is in the area, and finally, the only persons who are disarmed by this statute are those that are desiring to follow the law as Criminals by definition DON'T FOLLOW THE LAW. Please do all that you can do in support of HR2613. Thank you."

Good letter. Well written. Let us know if you get a response from your Congressman.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Good letter. Well written. Let us know if you get a response from your Congressman.

I suspect that I will as he is one of the most conservative/libertarian types (my determination) of the recent crop of Representatives. He's been in office now for a couple of years. He is Jason Cheffetz (still haven't figured out how to spell his last name) from Utah.

Captain Nemo

Ron Paul needs our help

Don't just talk about it. Do something. I'm sure JoeSparky will give permission to use his well written letter if you don't want to take the time to write your own. Let Neuman, Kind and Kohl know that you support HR2613. If HR2613 is going to succeed Ron Paul needs all the help he can get from the grassroots. This may be our one and only shot at getting rid of the worthless GFSZA. Ron Paul is on our side but he is not a "favorite son" with either the Republicans or the NRA. He doesn't march with the mainstream Republicans and he pissed the NRA when he didn't vote for the commerce bill. It wouldn't hurt you NRA members to put pressure on NRA/ILA either.

bigdaddy1

Kohl wrote the GFZ, so dont expect him to support its repeal. Ron Johnson ran under the conservative ticket so perhaps he would support it.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Don't just talk about it. Do something. I'm sure JoeSparky will give permission to use his well written letter if you don't want to take the time to write your own. Let Neuman, Kind and Kohl know that you support HR2613. If HR2613 is going to succeed Ron Paul needs all the help he can get from the grassroots. This may be our one and only shot at getting rid of the worthless GFSZA. Ron Paul is on our side but he is not a "favorite son" with either the Republicans or the NRA. He doesn't march with the mainstream Republicans and he pissed the NRA when he didn't vote for the commerce bill. It wouldn't hurt you NRA members to put pressure on NRA/ILA either.

Permission granted to use the letter. ANY of the forum members may alter it to fit their specific needs IN SUPPORT of this legislation!

SovereignAxe

I sent an email to my congressman:

Dr. Roe

It has come to my attention that Congressman Ron Paul has introduced House Resolution 2613 which seeks to repeal the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act. This act, good intentions as it may have, merely makes criminals out of what would be law abiding citizens. Also, some argue that this law is unconstitutional. That is debatable, and has been in a number of court cases, but there is no denying the headache this law has caused for countless law abiding citizens in this country.

The act is designed to keep a shooter away from a school. I won’t even discuss the fact that a criminal isn't going to think twice about what kind of laws are supposed to keep them from shooting on school grounds. The act does nothing to keep law abiding gun owners and carriers off of school property. Gun owners are free to take their legally carried weapon on to school grounds to pick up and drop off a child, as long as their state's law allows it. However, when a gun owner is in another state, carrying legally, it then becomes a federal crime to come within 1000 feet of a school while carrying their sidearm. Particularly in densely populated cities, this becomes a problem for anyone that wants to legally carry their weapon to defend themselves. When out of state, a gun carrier must be aware of any and all K-12 school zones, and plan their route to stay at least 1000 feet away from them, or risk committing a felony.

As the former mayor of Johnson City, TN, I'm sure you are aware of the location of Science Hill High School. SHHS is located directly adjacent to US highway 11E, one of the busiest roads in Johnson City. The GFSZ Act would make a felon of any out of state law abiding citizen caught carrying a weapon that passes by that school. In actuality, several citizens from out of state probably commit a federal crime every day in front of SHHS without even realizing it. Imagine the issue at hand for any city larger than Johnson City.

The Gun Free School Zones act is a redundant law against anyone that commits a crime with a firearm at a school. After all, it's already illegal to shoot someone-even on school grounds. Extending the statute's area 1000 feet from the school's borders has the awful side-effect of making felons out of out of towners. I, and many in the gun rights community, believe this law to be ineffectual and unconstitutional.

Thank you for taking your time to consider this issue. As a handgun permit holder, I hope I never unintentionally break this law when I visit a friend out of state that shares reciprocity with TN, however I think it likely. Repealing this law would clear up the issue, and the laws against shooting someone and carrying inside a school will still have their intended effect.