• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Michigan on Private Property

Titleist

I searched but was unable to find...

Can you open carry on private property in Michigan if you are not the owner?

If you would like more details I can provide them.

Thanks.

Titleist

reposted...

I saw the "This topic should be used to discuss questions about where you can and cannot open carry." and figure this was the area to post.

Titleist

It would be my home, in the front yard \ porch area.

I had someone come to my door this morning who was openly carrying. I have nothing against open carry, it just made me think what kind of recourse does someone have when another individual brings a weapon onto their property.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It would be my home, in the front yard \ porch area.

I had someone come to my door this morning who was openly carrying. I have nothing against open carry, it just made me think what kind of recourse does someone have when another individual brings a weapon onto their property.

Was this someone you knew or a stranger that came to your door armed?

eastmeyers

The pistol doesn't change anything, you can ask someone to leave your property for whatever reason you want. Whether that be because they are wearing a blue shirt on a Tuesday, or because they have a Ruger Security Six on their hip. Just like they don't have to ask permission to come onto your property to come to knock on your door (unless you have up signs, saying no trespassing, a fence, and such), if they are wearing a blue shirt on a Tuesday, or have a Ruger Security Six on their hip. But if you ask them to leave they must.

I Am Not A Lawyer ***IANAL***

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I searched but was unable to find...

Can you open carry on private property in Michigan if you are not the owner?

If you would like more details I can provide them.

Thanks.
As I understand it, you can OC on someone else's private property, until they ask you not to.

kubel

The gun is not relevant. I can OC on your property. The only redress you have is to trespass me. You can ask a person to leave your private property for any reason (or no reason). If your property is a public accommodation engaged in interstate commerce, you cannot discriminate based on race, color, religion, or national origin. You can discriminate based on whether or not they are practicing their 2nd amendment.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The gun is not relevant. I can OC on your property. The only redress you have is to trespass me. You can ask a person to leave your private property for any reason (or no reason). If your property is a public accommodation engaged in interstate commerce, you cannot discriminate based on race, color, religion, or national origin. You can discriminate based on whether or not they are practicing their 2nd amendment.
Which even former New Jersey Superior Court Judge Andrew Napolitano, says isn't right. Imagine that, a Libertarian from New Jersey!!

WilDChilD

I dont think Titleist liked the answers you guys were giving him. I think he wanted to do something about it and once he found out he couldnt he left. He must have been scared by the sight of a holstered firearm. If you asked him he would say he doesnt BELIEVE in guns.

kubel

Which even former New Jersey Superior Court Judge Andrew Napolitano, says isn't right. Imagine that, a Libertarian from New Jersey!!

While I agree gun ownership and possession should be a natural right, I don't agree with the Judge's position on private property rights. I believe that land owners (or their agents) should have near absolute authority over who and what they permit on their private property, even if it's a public accommodation, and even if it's contrary to the visitors natural rights.

So if someone wants to kick a person off their property because they are __________ (fill in the blank with anything), they should be permitted to do so. Of course, they will have to live with the blowback from that decision.

CoonDog

Napolitano isn't a libertarian precisely because of his stance on private property. In his mind, it's ok for the state to initiate aggression against the shop owner when the shop owner chooses to practice freedom of association. Why he can identify .gov abuses and corruption in so many areas but fail to see the .gov abuse in this issue, I have no idea.

ManInBlack

Because people should be able to keep the rights that they were born with.

One of which is the inalienable right to property. I believe in the adage that, "your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose." I would never ban someone from my property for carrying, but if I am to be allowed to ban people for reasons that I see fit, others must be allowed to do so. My property is sacrosanct.

Last edited: