• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to open carry for the first time. I have a few questions. Thanks for the help

Cman223

Hello, I just finished my cch class and I want to open carry for now while I wait for the permit. Do i have to have a pistol permit to OC and would I be asked for it if I am stopped by the police? Do I need to identify myself for OC if asked? Are there any important tips or things I should know going out for the fist time OC? I just finished the class last weekend and I am aware of where I can and cannot go. Also, what is the law with open carry while driving can I have in in the holster? Thanks for the help everyone, keep carrying!

papa bear

welcome CMAN223,
standing for your rights is a good thing.
now that you have armed yourself for saftey, arm yourself with knowledge. my suggestion is ; to not take anything for fact unless you can verify it. watch and listen to the encounters that others have had, and make up your own mind

aosailor

Hello, I just finished my cch class and I want to open carry for now while I wait for the permit. Do i have to have a pistol permit to OC and would I be asked for it if I am stopped by the police? Do I need to identify myself for OC if asked? Are there any important tips or things I should know going out for the fist time OC? I just finished the class last weekend and I am aware of where I can and cannot go. Also, what is the law with open carry while driving can I have in in the holster? Thanks for the help everyone, keep carrying!

There is no type of permit needed to OC. If you can legally own a handgun you can OC. There are no laws requiring you to notify police that you are OCing during any type of police interaction. As for OCing in a car, there doesnt seem to be a cut and dry answer, other than "keep it in the open". I for one never touch my gun or handle it before or during a stop. It stays in its holster and it has never been a problem.

as for tips? be ready for some looks, even though I have carried everywhere I can in Mooresville, I still get some looks. Just make sure to act like you have done it before. Dont be afraid to stand your ground or answer some weird or off the wall questions.

PM me if you would like to meet up with a fellow mooresvillian that OCs. I'd be more than willing to show you the ropes

oh I'm not sure what a cch is, I think you mean CHP, since that is what its called here in NC

Last edited:

brutus1776

good answers from others on this thread.

as far as OC'ing in a vehicle, to be safe, i'd keep it in the open at all times, such as on passenger seat, etc. i've heard most LE are OK with it holstered in relatively plain view, but i wouldnt take it to the bank. however, carrying on your seat, or other open place puts you in a position of the sidearm not being secure and putting you in the weird position of having to holster your sidearm everytime you leave your vehicle. seems to me, people would be more scared of a person holstering a sidearm and then going into a store than just walking into the store with a holstered sidearm, so be discreet when holstering.

as for identifying yourself to an LEO, no, you are not required to. you are also not required to show ID in NC to an LE, unless driving. if you are detained, the Hiibel case precedent makes it so one must now state their name, but you still do not have to produce ID.

good luck and its definitely not as scary once you do it as it seems preparing to do it!

CharlieOneFourDelta

I've been traffic stopped numerous times through the years with in in a holster on right hip. No officer ever had an issue with it. If it is at night I turn on the interior light and keep both hands on the wheel, and when he walks up I usually say "I have a holstered handgun on my right hip just so you know". Usually he just thanks me for telling him. Once I had a cop ask me to step out and he took my pistol with him to his car while he checked my DL (probably ran the gun serial # too). Afterwards he handed it back to me and told me to have a good evening.

Not to say you won't run into the a-hole who is going to get snotty and lecture you about your "concealed handgun", but it's never happened to me in 23 years. Seems to me laying it on the dash is more dangerous than helpful, and laying it in the passenger seat makes it easier to grab and fire than in a holster if the argument is officer safety.