Thread: A little help/Clarification

A little help/Clarification

Just returned from MI vacation, took my 1911 and OC'd in a lot of various places as we traveled about. One thing I ended up being unsure about was our visit to the State Capitol (one of the nicest in the country).

I spoke to the guy at the visitors entrance and asked if it was "ok". He was hesitant, unsure, and aware of "those OC guys" that held a rally....but couldn't give me a straight answer.

So, what's the skinny....(it has no reference on the list published in the sticky's)

1.) Can you carry on the capitol mall?'
    2.) Can you carry inside the capitol building itself?
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

You can OC anywhere on/in the Capitol/Mall EXCEPT the chamber of the Senate/House -- that requires permission of the Chamber Leadership.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I personally have open carried on the Captiol grounds, and inside the Capitol both while speaking to MSP troopers. A funny story; a group of us were carrying on the grounds when we overheard this conversation between some folks and a group of four troopers...

Folks - "Officer, those guys over there are carrying guns!"
    Troopers - "hmmmmmm"
    Folks - "they just can't carry a gun like that here, can they?"
    Troopers - "I'm pretty sure they can but they know more about it than we do, why don't you go ask them?"

True story...

Carry on

That is the best answer I have ever heard!

Quote Originally Posted by jmlefler View Post
    I personally have open carried on the Captiol grounds, and inside the Capitol both while speaking to MSP troopers. A funny story; a group of us were carrying on the grounds when we overheard this conversation between some folks and a group of four troopers...

Troopers - "hmmmmmm"
    Troopers - "I'm pretty sure they can but they know more about it than we do, why don't you go ask them?"

True story...

Carry on
    I would have loved to be present to hear this. Amazing and funny.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyh Seer View Post
    I would have loved to be present to hear this. Amazing and funny.
    Audio would have been utterly priceless. The mods could make that a 1 post thread, sticky it, and close it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlefler View Post

Troopers - "hmmmmmm"
    True story...

Carry on
    Last edited by HKcarrier; 07-26-2011 at 09:18 AM.