• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

All Right, I've had it with the search engine

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I put in the verification string twice, both times correctly, and it still doesn't work:cuss:

We had a thread on Tangier Island!

It's in Va so I can OC, but what was the restaurant mentioned that we shouldn't miss?:banghead:

TFred

Agree with you 100% on the search engine. Like so many other things, the "protections" we put in place do their job so well, the needed function becomes almost useless. <RANT ON> I'm convinced that some day in the military, one or more will die because they either misplaced, or could not enter a password fast enough into a weapon system that is needed to defend themselves... I have no facts upon which to base that, but I'm convinced one day it will happen...<RANT OFF>

A workaround to the search problem in some cases is the Google Site search function:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:forum.opencarry.org+tangier

That popped up two threads, the first one was the one you are looking for, and the second one was this thread... so it is nearly real time, which is good.

Enjoy the meal!

TFred

Repeater

Agree with you 100% on the search engine. Like so many other things, the "protections" we put in place do their job so well, the needed function becomes almost useless. <RANT ON> I'm convinced that some day in the military, one or more will die because they either misplaced, or could not enter a password fast enough into a weapon system that is needed to defend themselves... I have no facts upon which to base that, but I'm convinced one day it will happen...<RANT OFF>

A workaround to the search problem in some cases is the Google Site search function:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:forum.opencarry.org+tangier

That popped up two threads, the first one was the one you are looking for, and the second one was this thread... so it is nearly real time, which is good.

Enjoy the meal!

TFred

Yes, that's what I do. Anyone use Bing?

Repeater

CAPTCHA is awful

I gave up on it a long time ago. I figured it just wasn't going to work, so what the hell.

CAPTCHA is a problem for many who have difficulty is reading the "human readable" script.

Yet apparently, one can run into legal problems attempting to circumvent CAPTCHA:
The circumvention of CAPTCHAs may violate the anti-circumvention clause of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) in the United States.

I hope not.

markand

I understand the security for registering on the site, but not for using the search engine.

Mike or John or others could explain it better, but I think it has to do with data mining bots using the site's own search engine to mine the site for email addresses and other information. Requiring a human being to enter those characters pretty much defeats the bots.

Baked on Grease

I understand the security for registering on the site, but not for using the search engine.

The security is supposed to be so that "hackers" can't spam the site and lock it up or shut it down by overloading the server with requests. Some of those searches can use up alot of power on that server.

But they are using the cheap, website side of preventing it, it would be much more practical and useful to lock out your IP from searching more than every 15 secs or so. It gets annoying to HAVE to wait to search again, but it's alot less painful than CAPTCHA! ><

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There are some things I have always said I was going to do, and haven't.
I decided last week I'd better start whittling the list down while I could so yesterday Jane and I went to Tangier. I sure didn't need a gun.

It was an hour and a half boat ride to get there and I have some observations not found in the travel brochures.

1. It has a very depressed economy. Fishing and the tourist boats are it. There are 4 restaurants, one kinda nice and 3 I woudn't eat in for anything...and that from someone that likes greasy spoons.

2. The people all look alike and I think there have been a few first cousin encounters.

3. The people that want your money, smile and speak (Odd language. Sorta a modified Elizabethan Yankee dialect) but they really don't care much for outsiders.

4. The entire island is about the size of our farm but has over 500 people living there. There is no privacy.

It is pretty on the surface but get past the very thin layer and it reminds me more of an Indian reservation than an island paradise. Dirty, lots of debris and trash.
I met the Police Chief....He doesn't have a gun but does have a car.:lol:

If I go back, it will only be to record some of the speech.

The only time I saw any genuine emotion was during a conversation with two old ladies running a store.

Me. I have to catch the boat at 2:00.

Lady. Better not miss it. There's only one place to stay here and it's not very nice.

Me. I'm not worried, I can make it back without the boat.

Lady. You mean swim?

Me. No, walk.

Lady. You can't walk in the water.

Me. Mountain people walk ON the water.

There was dead silence for at least 30 seconds then both these stuffy old women broke out laughing. Never said another word but were still laughing when I left.

Dreghorn

You should try taking your own boat there! When we arrived in Tangier the only place we could tie up was the fuel dock, not another spot anywhere.

The fuel dock was closed, so we tied up and walked up to Mrs. Crockett's for dinner, they were pretty sure we were not locals and asked us how we got there and where we tied up. We explained and she said she would have the owner come down and visit us after dinner. We got back to the boat and popped open a couple of beers, we new you can't get alcohol on the island but you can bring it in. Any way the fella that owned the dock came down and said we could stay, no charge, but we had to be gone by 4 am when the watermen start their day, and not to give any beer to kids (something we hadn't planned on doing anyway).

About 6:30 pm it looks like all the men on the island come down to the picnic pavilion where the ferry docks and play cards, checkers, and generally BS with one another, until a horn goes off at 8 pm and they all get up and leave. After 8 pm the island is a ghost town!

Now getting away from the fuel dock at 4 am is not a problem because at 3:30 am every diesel engine on the island fires up as those fella's start their day. We thought some one had moved our boat to the middle of a runway! We headed out at about 3:45 and thought the island was fogged in, but when we cleared the last channel marker it was clear as could be, what we thought was fog was diesel exhaust!

But it was an interesting trip!