4 19.05%
  • No

14 66.67%
  • maybe

3 14.29%

Thread: Styled guns for Open Carry

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar

Styled guns for Open Carry

I saw these at Cabela's. I am a more of a chrome/nickle finish fan when looking at personalized guns. At 1st I thought they were to over the top but I am starting to find them interesting.

Doc

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0239.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	6459  
    Last edited by sohighlyunlikely; 07-25-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: because someone from Florida keeps bugging me

There or Their? THEY'RE!? XD

Quote Originally Posted by sohighlyunlikely View Post
    I saw these at Cabela's. I am a more of a chrome/nickle finish fan when looking at personalized guns. At 1st I just these were to over the top but I am starting to find their look interesting.

Doc

Pretty cool. I have an OD Green SR9 with a black slide that I OC occasionally. I guess this is the next step from that. As long as the finish doesn't affect the functioning of the gun, I say more power to you.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    There or Their? THEY'RE!? XD
    If he meant their look [is] interesting, then he is correct. That's what you meant, right Doc?
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-25-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    If he meant their look [is] interesting, then he is correct. That's what you meant, right Doc?
    Last edited by sohighlyunlikely; Today at 03:18 PM. Reason: poor grammer
    ^ He changed it lol

EDIT:----------
    BTW I think those glocks look sick.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 07-25-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Well, if you can't sell a firearm on the basis of its quality, you might as well come up with a gimmick to try and offload it on neophytes as a conversation piece.

BTW: What kind of firearms are they?

There are people out there that like that type of thing, I just do not. My OC's are fully covered in their hunting holsters, so it would make no difference is they were chrome or plain jane, they just happen to be Colt blue, and CZ black.

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    Well, if you can't sell a firearm on the basis of its quality, you might as well come up with a gimmick to try and offload it on neophytes as a conversation piece.

Well... It is a Glock. I assure you sales of Glocks are doing quite well. If by some reason you are not familiar with them they are the number one carried firearm carried by police world wide. And if you have ever shot against one in competition shooting. You will see they can be quite the impressive firearm.

Doc

BTW I think those glocks look sick.

Would I? Yes

Quote Originally Posted by sohighlyunlikely View Post
    And if you have ever shot against one in competition shooting....

Doc
    I've defeated almost every one of them I've encountered.

Of course, they weren't magnaported. Everyone knows magnaporting causes a firearm to automatically hit the ten rings as fast as you can pull the trigger. Some say they may also decrease times from the 18 second range down to around 6 or so in certain scenarios.

Enough to almost be competitive with plain jane XDm's and 3" 1911's (with a reload).

Accomplished Advocate
    Not bothered by GLOCK name so much as the snake skin, just never worked for me even in boots etc.

They could have an alternative or engraved gold inlay etc and make the trip just fine but not snake skin so I voted no.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Different strokes for different folks. I don't like them, but I wouldn't hold it against any one who did.

nasty looking!

nasty as in ugly.
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

I'm on the mailing list for glockstore.com. Their latest catalog lists several patterns that can be applied to the frame, slide, or both. Since I don't own a glock, I was curious if they would apply the pattern to other firearms. I'll bring the catalog to Pacific on Sunday.

I admire glocks,but these are uglt. I'd still take the H&K .40 over a glock any day

Quote Originally Posted by kylemoul View Post
    nasty looking!

nasty as in ugly.
    Um... yea.

Here is the link to Glockstore.com's finishes that are offered:

http://glockstore.com/index/430_Glock+Custom+Services/

I'm not a fan of the ones at Cabela's, but I like the subtle look of the Carbon Fiber or the Skull & Bones.

I've defeated almost every one of them I've encountered.

Of course, they weren't magnaported. Everyone knows magnaporting causes a firearm to automatically hit the ten rings as fast as you can pull the trigger. Some say they may also decrease times from the 18 second range down to around 6 or so in certain scenarios.

Enough to almost be competitive with plain jane XDm's and 3" 1911's (with a reload).
    Umm, ok.

Well, you are obviously going to the matches where the biggest shooters in IDPA are NOT And shooting in a different class, too, I think. Isn't the XDm ESP class (dual, then single)?

Glocks and Berettas are the most consistent winners overall. David Sevigny has dominated with a Glock for years and
    David Olhassa has made the Beretta 92 a legend at IDPA.

The Smith 9 has been in the top 3, too. CZ and Taurus are worth mentioning for DA only.

All of these are the stock auto division, Stock Service Pistol (SSP), by far the most popular. This class outnumbers the other 4 combined.

Granted, the XDm is a great firearm, but it is NOT dominating IDPA. Maybe you are doing well, but that would be an exception If so, congrats!!

The main reason to shoot SSP is real world application. Why is the Glock most popular? Because it is the choice of professionals whose lives depend on reliability. Soft recoil and consistent, easy trigger pull.

"The point is, the Glock and the other double-action autos dominate police work and defensive shooting, for good reasons. It's no surprise to see them often beating the cocked-and-locked guns in IDPA tournaments." -- Massad Ayoob, who also said, "As an instructor, I need to stay familiar with the different types students bring, so I generally change guns every training cycle: Glock, Beretta, 1911, SIG, DA revolver, etc. When working in uniform (rare now) I carry PD issue, Ruger P345."

Don't hate on the plastic pistol! Peace and be safe.
    Last edited by peterarthur; 07-29-2011 at 11:39 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for sharing these - Who knew you could make a Glock more ugly?

I'm all about looks when it comes to guns. Call me shallow, but if I'm going to spend my hard-earned dough on something, I want it to look nice.

But for the actual question... No, I wouldn't carry those examples, but there are plenty of churched-up guns that I would OC.

Accomplished Advocate
    Guns are like cars, different ones have different looks, pro's and cons.

A revolver is like a 50's/60's era car with most of the looking the same or at least similar, then you have the different as well, enter the corvette and vw bug.

In the 80's we see an influx of alternatives, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo etc.

The revolvers are the malibu of the 70's, 1911's are the corvettes, Glocks are the Volvo aka boxy, reliable and safe.

Where the problem comes in is the "volvo is the best" theory aka the glock is the best and what you wind up with is a lot of arguments based on merit and BS as well. Some folks do not enjoy shooting the glock because of the grip angle etc, that would be no different than not liking the steering wheel placement in a volvo, if you do not like it, you do not buy it. Then comes the blown up gun debate which has merit and also has issues that are really centered on the brass more than the firearm but there is some merit to the chamber on the 40 glocks, it is almost a toss up.

Then you get to the vast number of police whom have shot themselves when improperly holstering the weapon and the safety aspect. This can relate very well to the safety of the volvo, it is a great car and has a fantastic safety record but that does not mean you can run red lights with it and guarantee you will not be hurt. If folks keep their booger hook off of the bang switch, it is nearly impossible to make a glock fire. I think they did some insane testing like dropping it while chambered from something like 100 feet, result no firing, then they threw it spinning something like 75 feet, result, no firing.

So what it comes down to is glock is a good safe gun, it is not everyone's favorite but it has a damn good safety record, it is boxy and different like a volvo.

I do not like the snake skin look however I did find the carbon fiber look appealing, though I think the price tag is off the chain! I like the XD more because of the grip angle, but consider it as boxy as the glock but on par with safety issues and reliability as well.

Endless debates over "the best" will never end and the idpa thing, didn't Jarret win one year with an XD not too long ago? Does not matter really cause the vast majority of us are no where near that level and that would be like me saying I must drive whatever last years nascar driver drove, it ain't anywhere near the same.

Shoot what you shoot best and it will be what you like best probably.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

BBQ Guns (Court Guns, Bar Mitzvah Guns, Wedding Guns)

Let's start with the definitive discussion: http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2...-bbq-guns.html

and then move on to the lesser comments/discussions

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...-bbq-guns.html

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1999505

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161006 - where NONE of them are Glocks!??!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

The snake skin is a little Crocodile Dundee for my taste, but I would OC an engraved pistol. If I had money.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Let's start with the definitive discussion: http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2...-bbq-guns.html

and then move on to the lesser comments/discussions

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...-bbq-guns.html

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1999505

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161006 - where NONE of them are Glocks!??!

stay safe.
    Because Glocks are professional TOOLS, not TOYS I was an aircraft mechanic for 16 years and the guys with SnapOn tools were almost NEVER as good as the guys with the Craftsman tools. Having beautiful expensive tools just means you have less money And in this case, the plain reasonably priced tool also happens to be one of the most reliable and consistent. I also have a Serpa which is considered fairly ugly, but it is very functional. Function over form any day for me

OK, the burled walnut on the 1911 looked awesome...

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln