• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Styled guns for Open Carry

Would you Open Carry one of these

• Total voters

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Guns are like cars, different ones have different looks, pro's and cons.

A revolver is like a 50's/60's era car with most of the looking the same or at least similar, then you have the different as well, enter the corvette and vw bug.

In the 80's we see an influx of alternatives, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo etc.

The revolvers are the malibu of the 70's, 1911's are the corvettes, Glocks are the Volvo aka boxy, reliable and safe.

Where the problem comes in is the "volvo is the best" theory aka the glock is the best and what you wind up with is a lot of arguments based on merit and BS as well. Some folks do not enjoy shooting the glock because of the grip angle etc, that would be no different than not liking the steering wheel placement in a volvo, if you do not like it, you do not buy it. Then comes the blown up gun debate which has merit and also has issues that are really centered on the brass more than the firearm but there is some merit to the chamber on the 40 glocks, it is almost a toss up.

Then you get to the vast number of police whom have shot themselves when improperly holstering the weapon and the safety aspect. This can relate very well to the safety of the volvo, it is a great car and has a fantastic safety record but that does not mean you can run red lights with it and guarantee you will not be hurt. If folks keep their booger hook off of the bang switch, it is nearly impossible to make a glock fire. I think they did some insane testing like dropping it while chambered from something like 100 feet, result no firing, then they threw it spinning something like 75 feet, result, no firing.

So what it comes down to is glock is a good safe gun, it is not everyone's favorite but it has a damn good safety record, it is boxy and different like a volvo.

I do not like the snake skin look however I did find the carbon fiber look appealing, though I think the price tag is off the chain! I like the XD more because of the grip angle, but consider it as boxy as the glock but on par with safety issues and reliability as well.

Endless debates over "the best" will never end and the idpa thing, didn't Jarret win one year with an XD not too long ago? Does not matter really cause the vast majority of us are no where near that level and that would be like me saying I must drive whatever last years nascar driver drove, it ain't anywhere near the same.

Shoot what you shoot best and it will be what you like best probably.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

peterarthur

Because Glocks are professional TOOLS, not TOYS ;) I was an aircraft mechanic for 16 years and the guys with SnapOn tools were almost NEVER as good as the guys with the Craftsman tools. Having beautiful expensive tools just means you have less money ;) And in this case, the plain reasonably priced tool also happens to be one of the most reliable and consistent. I also have a Serpa which is considered fairly ugly, but it is very functional. Function over form any day for me :D

OK, the burled walnut on the 1911 looked awesome...